Super Smash Bros. Brawl

US Release: Mar 09, 2008
Japan Release: Jan 31, 2008
Europe Release: Jun 27, 2008

Game Developer: Sora

Popularity: 31st All Time, 53rd This Week

Franchise: Nintendo
First Smash Bros. to feature third-party characters, made by companies other than Nintendo. Snake was added at the request of his creator, Hideo Kojima, and Sonic was the fans' most commonly-requested character.

This is the first game where Luigi has his proper voice. In the previous games, he used Mario's voice, but pitched up.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Super Smash Bros. Brawl Cast

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Cast

Narrator

Comments

said at 9:23 PM on Sat Mar 31 2018
It's so hard to believe Brawl is 10. I'll never forget when Iwata casually made the announcement that Smash Bros. was coming to the Revolution and the whole internet went INSANE with speculation. That time between E3 2005 and E3 2006 when we knew nothing other than it was coming was something really special. (And of course the two Smash games since ended up getting announced in similar ways.)

It's so funny how at the time, waiting 2-3 years felt like forever. And then of course that same E3 was when "Final Fantasy Versus XIII" was announced so clearly Square Enix took it as a challenge. The delays may have hurt, but the final release date ended up coming out just before my birthday and during March Break. And that was one HELL of a week.

Brawl is one of the more interesting Smash games to go back to. I feel like it's the one I have the most history with so I can't deny there's an unbelievable amount of sentimental value. Like I look at all those dumb screenshots and replays I took with my friends and still think they're funny. Which is funny at first but then it gets sobering when it makes me wonder how much I've changed. Maybe I'll post them someday.

SSB4 wound up building on Brawl in a lot of ways that are for the best, so that's part of what makes Brawl interesting for me. It's kind of like the stepping stone to where the series became today. It filled in some of the last few classic characters who still weren't around yet in Melee (Wario, Diddy, Pokemon Trainer/Charizard, Pit, Dedede, Wolf...), and was the first time the series really made an active point to bring in new characters from recent games (Ike, Toon Link, Zero Suit Samus, Olimar, Lucario, Lucas). And then of course, you have Snake and Sonic, who redefined what the series would be forever. Seeing Snake pop up at the end of the original E3 trailer, or checking the Dojo one day after years of Newgrounds Mario VS Sonic flashes* to randomly see Sonic's grinning mug, are the kinds of unforgettable surprises that only Smash Bros. can bring. And then you have Assist Trophies shouting out tons of other characters who wouldn't have otherwise got a chance.

The main things Brawl still has that makes it stand out? The Subspace Emissary may not be perfect, but the sheer scope and ambition of it is something that's just unbeatable. I would love to see SSB Switch try something similar, maybe with more familiar Nintendo stages though? Some of the stages like Frigate Orpheon, Shadow Moses Island, and ESPECIALLY Spear Pillar are some of my favourites in the whole series. Speaking of stages, I had SO much fun with the Stage Builder! And of course, pour one out for Wolf and Snake... Hope you get your chance in SSB Switch, friends.

Happy 10 years Brawl. Just saying out loud makes me feel like I'm... Tripping.*

*RIP Randy Solem.

**Tripping wouldn't be so bad if you could just turn it off.
HienFan
said at 9:00 AM on Mon Mar 19 2018
Been so long and a relative donated this to me

I like playing the tournament mode it is the usual catchiness with cool new big stages plus there is more dubbed voices now with some voices actually being better than the next game and the music is still great although the graphic of many of the creature type looks so uncanny especially Dedede

But the main single player Subspace hoo boy... I like the idea of a longer story type single player and the two player thing is nice but... most of it is so generic COOOOOL stuff happening in generic settings I think only the DK levels are particularly interesting and actually took advantage of the character personalities instead of MOAR COOLS ACTIONZ and the fact this is the sole way to get some characters if you're not using the match mode
Marusero
said at 1:51 PM on Fri Mar 9 2018
Happy 10th anniversary, SSBB! This was one of my childhood favorite games for the Wii. Also, to me, it was very interesting to see Sonic here, and I think his style worked very well. He may not be for everyone, but hey, we can't always agree on everything, am I right? Hope to get back to this game sometime, when I get the chance.

Speaking of Sonic, actually, this game was released the same day as Mike Pollock's birthday. Mind-blowing, isn't it?

Let's hope for Smash 5 to be great, though!
Soul-dragon
said at 2:39 PM on Fri Mar 9 2018
@Marusero IHB4 it becomes MVC 2.0
Marusero
said at 2:42 PM on Mon Mar 19 2018
@Soul-dragon What does "IHB4" mean?
Soul-dragon
said at 4:24 PM on Mon Mar 19 2018
@Marusero I'm here before.
CelestialOuroboros
said at 10:26 AM on Fri Mar 9 2018
Happy 10th Birthday, Brawl! It has its issues - namely, the wasted potential of Subspace Emissary, a more cinematic art direction that fit some characters better than others and that damn tripping mechanic - but the third Smash Bros. installment is still very fantastic without comparing the game to either Melee or 4.

I'd also like to personally thank this one for introducing the Assist Trophies, which I'm glad that feature was retained for the successor. Knuckle Joe, Saki, and Isaac were among my favorite ATs!
Soul-dragon
said at 7:00 AM on Fri Mar 9 2018
With Smash 5 on the horizon let us not forget that this is Brawl's tenth anniversary! Such a great game and it still holds up today. I have to thank it for getting me into Fire Emblem, Zelda, Kirby and anime in general! This game will always hold a special place in my heart so let's wish it a happy birthday!
said at 8:17 AM on Tue Oct 10 2017
Ten years ago today...

Shaun Ince
said at 9:17 AM on Tue Oct 10 2017
@NCZ And in the next 3 months, the game itself will be 10 years old. Amazing how fast time flies. I hope there's a Super Smash bros game being made for the Nintendo Switch somewhere down the pipeline.
Popo and Nana
said at 12:28 PM on Fri Feb 17 2017
Sonic is overrated
mariolover4443
said at 8:51 AM on Sun Oct 1 2017
@Popo and Nana
What's you're point
Joel the Pokekid
said at 3:12 PM on Thu Apr 21 2016
Best game of 2008!
Pan
said at 10:25 AM on Sat Apr 9 2016
i like Meta knight because hes like
Yoda+Master Splinter+Darth vader=Meta Night
huzaifa_ahmed
said at 11:47 AM on Tue Apr 5 2016
Seeing as Rob Paulsen was in this...was this union?
said at 11:50 AM on Tue Apr 5 2016
@huzaifa_ahmed

1 - We wouldn't know. Ask Nintendo.

2 - His clips are reused from Twin Snakes (as are Kaneto Shiozawa's)
MasterBlaster
said at 11:21 AM on Thu Apr 5 2018
@huzaifa_ahmed

It was in regards to the MGS characters--they're credited under their proper names under the massive wall of text that is the cast list, as well as Soundelux (the recording studio that did the MGS games at the time).

If it wasn't, they either would have been uncredited or went under aliases, like in MGS1.

...I know this is two years too late, but...
Toon Angel
said at 3:13 PM on Wed Jan 13 2016
I like Toon Link, Ness, Lucas, and the Ice Climbers! ^_^
FMAlchemistfan01
said at 1:54 PM on Sat Jul 4 2015
any Project M players here?
CuriousUserX90
said at 9:55 PM on Tue Nov 4 2014
They tend to recycle Voice Clips from Other Games in the Smash Bros. series. In the Original Smash Bros. and Melee, Mario's Voice Clips were recycled from SM64 (and I find it weird on Luigi), which they decided to Abandon in Brawl. I think Mario and Luigi's Voice Clips in Brawl and the Next Installment are recycled from games like Super Mario Galaxy (good to hear those lines recycled for a Smash Bros. game), doubt Charles Martinet would record new lines for Mario & Luigi in Super Smash Bros. games not from other games.
Metabad
said at 9:21 AM on Wed Jul 30 2014
Man, I kind of hate to say this since I did enjoy playing the game when it first came out, but I always felt that this game was overrated and somewhat disappointing especially with all the hype it got.

At first I thought it was just because my favourite character was cut (that would be Mewtwo) but then I sort of realized that I don't like the floaty mechanics, the art direction feels too gritty and lifeless for a Smash Bros. game, and I just felt overall that there wasn't nearly as much to do in this game as there was to do in its predecessors. Especially Melee, I replayed that one God knows how many times just to get almost everything. With Brawl, when Subspace Emissary was over I just didn't really care about it anymore, Subspace Emissary has its own problems, to keep it short it's boring and confusing to navigate at times, the ending stretch of levels feel especially frustrating, poorly done and challenging in all the worst ways.

I also realized I didn't like how easy it was to unlock all the secret characters, especially since with all the announcements revealing these characters, I already knew what was coming...which I guess is why I haven't been following the new game nearly as much as other people have.

I did like some of the ideas this game had, like Final Smashes and the level creation mode, it's certainly not a bad game on its own but when compared to the previous games I found it to be a bit of a mess and I've kept quiet about my disappointment in this game for too long.
Metabad
said at 9:24 AM on Wed Jul 30 2014
@Metabad Oh, one more thing I wanted to add, my brother downloaded Project M the other day, and that honestly is what Brawl should've been IMO. It feels a lot more balanced at has tons of interesting costumes and changes from Brawl and Melee, plus our favourite characters are back so that's a nice bonus.
SteelEthlan
said at 5:13 PM on Wed Aug 13 2014
@Metabad That makes up for the time they couldn't make it just by re-adding roy and mewtwo in this game.
NAFEDUDE
said at 3:26 PM on Thu Jun 5 2014
Guys. GUYS.

We're forgetting one important thing here...

WHO VOICES THE AUDIENCE?
Jacob M. Keene
said at 11:03 AM on Wed Jul 2 2014
@NAFEDUDE Unfortunately we may never find out, since Walla groups (a.k.a. loop groups) aren't usually credited.
said at 10:02 PM on Sat Sep 6 2014
@NAFEDUDE I'm pretty sure it was NOA employees. I think I remember Nate Bihldorff and Tim O'Leary being credited for the part in Melee.
Mr. Kite
said at 6:17 PM on Thu Jun 29 2017
@NCZ
The NOA employees were credited in Melee
NAFEDUDE
said at 4:29 PM on Tue May 27 2014
Ignore my last post, I found 'em.
NAFEDUDE
said at 4:15 PM on Tue May 27 2014
So, wait, why aren't Otacon, Campell, and Mei Ling listed?
Ross123
said at 11:07 AM on Sat Feb 8 2014
One of the best fighting games ever made, all those Nintendo characters.
Ultimate Fox
said at 10:14 AM on Wed Apr 9 2014
@Ross123 AGREE!
Ultimate Fox
said at 10:20 AM on Wed Oct 23 2013
THhis is a great game.!
Dogman15
said at 6:52 PM on Mon Oct 7 2013
Are we sure that Donkey and Diddy Kong were sound effects and not Takashi Nagasako and Katsumi Suzuki? I just played the game today, and I could be wrong, but their voices sound like human performances.
said at 7:04 PM on Mon Oct 7 2013
@Dogman15 Not listed in the credits
Dogman15
said at 1:50 AM on Wed Oct 9 2013
@NCZ What would "sound effects" be, anyway? Actual monkey recordings?
kwali
said at 4:27 PM on Tue Jul 2 2013
this is my favorite wii game of all time
said at 8:17 PM on Sat Mar 9 2013
I can't believe Brawl's over half a decade old now. I remember the hype and all the forum mayhem so well, ha ha.
rosebr10
said at 11:26 PM on Wed Mar 6 2013
Caught your description and noticed the section on reused clips. Captain Falcon also qualifies for "reused from Melee."

"Come on, Blue Falcon" is actually found in Melee's debug mode (Search "Missing Super Smash Bros Melee Voice and Music Clips" on YouTube).

I also noticed that you credit "Samus Aran" to Sound Effects in Melee and to nothing in Smash 64. "Samus Aran" here should be that as well, as she once again does not speak when in armor. Now's as good as time as any to make the three match.
said at 7:27 AM on Thu Mar 7 2013
@rosebr10 Some of Falcon's clips are reused, but most are new, so he doesn't fully count.
pokemastanumba1
said at 10:44 PM on Fri Apr 12 2013
@rosebr10 Also, virtually every fighting game, Melee and Brawl included, reuses at least some clips for most of their roster from other games, particularly their predecessors, so it would be kinda repetitive to list all of them.
Anthonyiscool64
said at 8:40 PM on Wed Aug 1 2012
This is my favorite game. I play this all the time on my wii, I know a lot of these voice actors in the game!
Trami0501
said at 7:14 PM on Wed Aug 1 2012
Super Smash Bros. Brawl is an awesome game!
Fulgore2005
said at 10:37 AM on Sat Jul 28 2012
To me, Super Smash Bros. Brawl is truly an excellent game. I loved just about every moment and every part of it.

For those who have tried out the Snake Codec Messages, you'll be surprised by the references that are made from them:

XxDream
said at 7:10 PM on Thu Jan 12 2012
Does anybody know what month the new one is gonna come out?
said at 10:54 PM on Thu Jan 12 2012
@XxDream We don't know anything about the next Smash (release date included) other than it's coming, it's for Wii U and 3DS, and I'd bet money that Mario is in it.
tailz
said at 10:55 PM on Sat May 12 2012
@NCZ Of course! What would we do without Mario? I've heard rumors about this game where Nintendo said that they are not sure about whether they will make a no.4 or not since they just finished making "Kid Icarus: Uprising". For some reason, I kinda feel sad that they are making a new one. I don't know why but I guess I just feel like they are going to make it a bit too weird for some reason. I guess its just because it's for a new system other than the nintendo wii. I just wish that Nintendo would change their mind and make SSB4 for the Wii instead of 3Ds. But that's just What I think.
Well Anyways, If they do make a No.4 of the Smash series, I hope they add some sonic characters in the game like Tails,Knuckles,& Silver. Or simply just Tails. Yeah, That would be great. :)!
said at 11:59 PM on Sat May 12 2012
@tailz Sadly, the only thing stopping Wii from being dead is that The Last Story hasn't come out in NA yet. By the end of this year Nintendo will have shifted their home console focus exclusively to Wii U, so it wouldn't make much sense for a new SSB to be for the original Wii.

I wouldn't count on seeing another playable Sonic character. As cool as it'd be to see Knuckles or Shadow, Sakurai mentioned the goal for guests in Brawl was 2 or 3. Assuming they keep the same number for the next installment, I'd think the extra spot would be best used for someone from a different series.
tailz
said at 12:32 AM on Sun May 13 2012
@NCZ I know, I know. I guess i'm just used to seeing the smash series on a TV screen. It'd be weird to see it on a portable system.
said at 8:16 AM on Sun May 13 2012
@tailz Well then, it's a good thing the next one will be the best of both worlds. Nintendo will be making a version for the Wii U in addition to the 3DS.
jonhardwick
said at 5:52 PM on Fri Apr 8 2011
there should be a smash bros. for the 3ds
Stephy Laurens
said at 7:44 AM on Thu Jun 9 2011
@jonhardwick Yeah, that would be pretty cool..but I like the whole TV game play better...but's it's inly my opinion. If they ever did have a Smash Bros. for 3DS, what modes would be added to it? I'd say they should add more characters to the roster too! That would be so great!
said at 8:21 PM on Sun Jun 12 2011
At E3, Reggie announced that the next Smash bros. will be on both 3DS and Wii U. So now everyone's happy! Looking forward to see what's in store! I hope Sonic and Snake stay aboard, because they were some of my favourite characters. And if they want another third-party character, Mega Man should definitely be added!
Ninjaman15
said at 5:28 PM on Fri Aug 19 2011
@NCZ These are about two-to-four-month-old comments, I'm sure... And I, myself, am looking forward to a SSB4. However, about the character roster, Sakurai said something about a limit, getting characters from a completely different universe into Nintendo's... I sorta agree with that statement, since if you put Nintendo together with characters from other brands, it would work a bit out of place, but Snake and Sonic are exceptions.

Also, the new Smash Bros. installment won't be in development until after Kid Icarus: Uprising's release date has come, I assume... So our time for waiting is now, until November or December, that is. But I have no idea, overall...

One more thing: the first Super Smash Bros. title had some nice balance in, so this new one will definitely have balance tweaking as well... Good news since Brawl and Melee had some fair share of balance issues, yet the former isn't as bad as the latter.
XxDream
said at 10:08 PM on Tue Dec 27 2011
@jonhardwick luckily there is gonna be one.
RedHumanJared15
said at 5:08 PM on Wed Feb 9 2011
Despite not everybody thinking about this in the meantime, we may as well need a new SSB installment. We have a SSF2 currently in development as a flash game, but the thought of another sequel in the main series is very unlikely. I've even heard from a few people that Brawl is actually the last game in the series, but some of them don't know what they're talking about since the series still lives on. But back to the main subject, wouldn't it be at least impressive if a sequel was made? I mean, c'mon! Originality from the first game needs to return like music, stages, and an epic announcer again. The only thing that doesn't need a change in my opinion are the graphics, which may look updated from Melee, but would work anyway. I usually like my media tastes from the 90s to early 2000s
SM Scorx
said at 2:39 PM on Thu Feb 10 2011
@RedHumanJared15

I think they release a new Smash Bros to coincide with a new Nintendo console.
said at 5:21 PM on Sun Jul 4 2010
Yeah, that's what I thought. Looks like all we need are some sound clips, maybe some more VA info, and we're done!
Foxwolf (Admin)
said at 2:12 PM on Sun Jul 4 2010
nah, I say pass on the Pokemon, there's just way too many that they aren't even important characters
said at 12:17 PM on Sun Jul 4 2010
There! The bosses and Assist Trophies are up. OK, I should be done... unless I should add all the Pokémon. Ulp.
Foxwolf (Admin)
said at 2:37 AM on Sun Jul 4 2010
great pics NCZ, esp the ones in action poses
said at 4:06 PM on Sat Jul 3 2010
OK guys, I added all of the playable characters, plus a few NPCs. If I'm missing anyone, just let me know.

Next will be the Subspace Emissary bosses and the Assist Trophies.
Support Behind The Voice Actors on Patreon
Yoshi
Falco Lombardi
Link
Mario
Kirby
Ice Climbers
Listen to all the actors who have voiced the following Super Smash Bros. Brawl characters.
Lucario