Hey guys. So I made this new game to help voice actors of any level grow as performers. It focuses on voice acting and improv. You record some dialogue, then pass it onto someone else and they respond, then to the next etc. If you're interested, you can try it out at www.voicereact.com. There's now over 160 players and 2100 recordings made, and also chances to win monthly prize drawings. Come listen to the 300+ original scenes created so far. Thanks! Foxwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, otherwise known as FNSM, is a web series by PrimalFan. The series focuses on Spider-Man's coming-of-age as a superhero, taking place months after he became Spider-Man, and focuses on his balance with his life as Peter Parker and Spider-Man.
The series explores Peter Parker, a 15 year old Midtown High student who was bitten by a genetically-modified spider. Becoming a crime fighter named Spider-Man he protects New York City from a recent wave of criminals and supervillains.
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man is primarily inspired by the early comics, mainly the Stan Lee era of comics, taking from every era also. The series also takes bits from previous adaptations such as the films.
- Have a good mic
- Have an email address and Discord (if you don't have one this can easily be done)
- Stay committed to a role
- Have a good schedule. We understand things happen, but if you're busy with other stuff and will likely have issues with time, it'd be hard to be chosen
- You can audition for multiple characters, but can only have one chosen unless it's an amazing performance. If there's a specific character you want please tell me!
Currently adding characters! You can audition however.
Peter Parker is a friendly and shy - but confident - college student. A bright and mature teen with a passion for science, he created his webshooters and web fluid at age 15. His focus on his studies as a kid caused him to be bullied, and as a result he's more of a loner. Despite that, Peter always puts himself to help others with zero cost, keeping to his uncle's manger of "With great power, there must also come great responsibility," even if it means sacrificing everything.
As Spider-Man, Peter's confidence and snarled side is brought out. He emits confidence, putting up a facade to reassure civillains and to stay composed, being considered altruistic for his attitude. He's also very witty, coming up with quips while in the heat of a battle. If a situation however goes awry he drops this facade and focuses on protecting and saving people.
- Peter Parker is 21 years old at the beginning of the series so he shouldn't sound too young but he also shouldn't have a deep voice. A balance of the two is best
- Previous VAs you can look to as inspiration are Christopher Daniel Barnes, Josh Keaton (MvC and Edge of Time), and Yuri Lowenthal. Tobey Magiire, Andrew Garfield, and Tom Holland are also good examples of how the character should feel.
"(Peter Parker) Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words: 'With great power there must also come great responsibility.' This is my gift, my curse. Who am I? I'm Spider-man."
"(Spider-Man) Hey, my name is Spider-Man. You can call me Web-Head, you can call me Amazing, just don't call me late for dinner."
"(Peter Parker) Can I do anything for you, Aunt May?"
Aunt May is Peter's aunt and motherly figure, having raised him along with Uncle Ben after his parents' death in a plane crash. She's a strong and resilient woman despite her age, taking up a job to support Peter and pay the bills. Peter looks up to her due to her wisdom, often giving him advice to help him out. She worries about Peter relentlessly, putting Peter above herself due to her love for him, making sure that even when she's ill or put in a bad situation Peter is at least fine. While she initially dislikes the idea of Spider-Man ironically, she grows to like him and what he stands for, seeing him as a beacon of hope for everyone.
- Aunt May in this project isn't as old as most incarnations, and she's not constantly sick and frail. She's not as young as the MCU Aunt May, she's closer to Ultimate Aunt May in the comics.
- Recommended voice actors to take inspiration from are Deborah Strang and Nancy Linari. Rosemary Harris despite her age is also a good example of what the character should feel like.
"Some people by nature are kind and charitable. You could say that some people, including at least one person at this table, are by their nature heroes. Ben always reminded me that we each contain all the nobler and meaner aspects of humanity, but some get a bigger dose than others of one thing or another. Some are pretty, and mean, and uncharitable. That's their nature. You can hope for better, even try to lead them to better, and you may even succeed"
"You do too much, you're not Superman, you know."
"Sometimes we have to be steady, and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams."
Mary Jane Watson is a 21 year old college student. She's a very fun and bubbly individual with a quirky but also charming appearance. Mary Jane is a "free spirit", always taking action and being very lively. She's very witty and cheerful person, being playful with Peter and her friends.
Mary Jane Watson is Peter's anchor, his emotional center. She makes Peter Parker a better person, allowing him to be himself. He doesn't become self-pitiful like he usually is when around MJ, and he's able to be honest with her.
- Mary-Jane Watson is around the same age as Peter Parker
- This incarnation is inspired by a little bit by Ultimate Mary Jane and Gwen Stacy from the comics. Emma Stone in The Amazing Spider-Man 1 and 2 is the closest depiction
- Recommended voice actors to take inspiration from are Jennifer Hale, Vanessa Marshall, and Laura Bailey. As mentioned above, Emma Stone in the TASM duology is also a good idea of what the character should feel like (but not exactly).
Herman Schultz is a high-level thug who obtains the Shocker gauntlet tech. He's very professional regarding crime and acts practical, aiming to not hurt anyone or destroy anything unless required. He will kill people without qualms if they mess up the job, such as Spider-Man, but otherwise he makes sure to keep things as clean and efficient as possible. His reliability and focus on business over revenge and other emotional desires along with good results makes him trusted by his peers, causing him to be hired for jobs easily.
- Recommended voice actors to take inspiration from are Dave Boat, Jim Cumming, Michael Beattie, Troy Baker, and Jeff Bennett (check the second note). Bokeem Woodine is a close depiction of the character.
- This version of the character is Herman Schultz like the comics, and not Jackson Brice like in the Spectacular Spider-Man so don't go for a "southern" accent.
Dr. Otto Octavius is a brilliant and likable but at times arrogant scientist with a superiority complex, too stubborn to realize he's not perfect and that others aren't beneath him. He was ostracized by his fellow workers due to being unconventional, inventing robotic tentacles resembling an octopus - earning the nickname "Dr. Octopus." Before the accident he was more humbled, though still having an arrogant side most people didn't see, but after a nuclear accident he shows a more deranged side brought out from it.
As Dr. Octopus he becomes a threatening schemer, planning out Spider-Man's demise. He pulls off elaborate plans, occasionally working with other villains if necessary to kill Spider-Man, though he thinks the rest beneath them which is why he's usually the leader of the Sinister Six. Due to his intelligence and raw power using his tentacles, he's often a match for Spider-Man and is a difficult opponent.
- Recommended voice actors to take inspiration from are William Salyers, Tom Kenny, and Peter MacNiol
- The closest depiction of the character is Alfred Molina's in Spider-Man 2 (2004).
- For his voice, as Otto Octavious (pre-accident) he should be kind and optimistic
Norman Osborn is a sharp and corrupt businessman and scientist with selfish intentions, corporate executive of Oscorp. A hardworking and intelligent man who rose to power after taking over his father's company due to his ruthless methods, motivated by his desire for power and money. Father to Harry Osborn, he's a neglectful individual due to prioritizing his business and as a result he is an emotionally distant person - though he does take an interest to Peter Parker. His negative traits are intelligently masked as him wanting to innovate and do good for others, being portrayed by the public as an aloof but well-intended man.
- Recommended voice actors to take inspiration from are Wilem Dafoe, Alan Rachins, Mark Rolston, and Josh Keaton
- The closest depiction of the character is Wilem Dafoe in Spider-Man 1 (2002).
"One of our original test subject spiders was genetically altered using an earlier version of my super-soldier Oz Formula. That spider bit a young man and that young man not only survived but was given the proportionate strength and abilities of that spider."
"For every life you save... there's a million new ways to die."
"Fired? Heh. I'm afraid you misunderstood. I'm not firing you. Quite the opposite, in fact."
The Green Goblin is a malicious and maniacal mastermind. He's an intelligent manipulator who plots out plans to take over the criminal underworld and get rid of Spider-Man, aspiring to become the top crimelord of New York City. A psychopathic terrorist, he has a tendency to crazily laugh and make sadistic and twisted jokes.
- Recommended voice actors to take inspiration from are Wilem Dafoe, Steve Blum, and Neil Ross
- The closest depiction of the character is Wilem Dafoe in Spider-Man 1 (2002)
"I could squash you like a bug right now, but I'm offering you a choice. Join me! Imagine what we could accomplish together... what we could create. Or we could destroy! Cause the deaths of countless innocents in selfish battle again and again and again until we're both dead! Is that what you want?"
"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out!"
"Spider-Man. This is why only fools are heroes - because you never know when some lunatic will come along with a sadistic choice. Let die the woman you love... or suffer the little children? Make your choice, Spider-Man, and see how a hero is rewarded!"
Harry Osborn is a friend of Peter Parker and son of Norman Osborn. Having been friends since middle school, Harry and Peter get along well however due to his father's appraisal of Peter and his cold demeanor Harry is insecure and is desperate for his approval. Despite being wealthy, he is embarrassed about it and is humble about it, taking after his mother.
- Recommended voice actors to take inspiration from are Scott Porter, Josh Keaton, Matt Lanter, Ian Ziering, and James Arnold Taylor
- The closest depiction of the character is James Franco from the Spider-Man Trilogy
Flash Thompson is a star football player and bully to Peter Parker. Growing up in poverty and with an alcoholic father, Flash had to work hard playing sports in order to get a scholarship and looks up to Spider-Man as inspiration to become a better person. However, he bullies Peter and other students earning him a reputation as a jock, struggling to do what's right.
- Recommended voice actors to take inspiration from are Devon Edward Sawa, Joshua LeBar, and Matt Lanter
- The closest depiction of the character is Chris Zylka
"Well well! So teacher's pet is gonna help the nice little doctor with some experiments this week-end, eh? While us other dumbheads waste time having dates and livin' it up!"
"You help me?! Is that what you think? You think I need the help of wimp like you? Not on your life, Parker! I don't need you! I don't need any of you! And-- --I don't need Spider-Man! I'm Flash Thompson! And it was me who saved all of your butts...don't you ever forget that! And that's no illusion -- that's hard, cold reality!"
"Where the hell is Parker anyway? Biggest night of his life and he's probably asleep in the library."
Liz Allan is one of the most popular students at Midtown High, well-known for her relationship with Flash Thompson and being an attractive and intelligent lady. Despite her intelligence however she's apart of Flash's clique, being rude to Peter even if she has some regret over her actions.
- This incarnation is biracial similar to her Spider-Man: Homecoming incarnation played by Liz Harrier
- Recommended voice actors to take inspiration from are Alanna Ubach and Natalie Lander
J. Jonah Jameson is the owner of the Daily Bugle, with a grudge against Spider-Man who wants to discredit his actions. Despite this, he's an honorable man who's seeking for truth otherwise and cares for his employees even if he can't always show it well. Just... J. K. Simmons.
- J. K. Simmons is the closest depiction to the character
- Recommended voice actors to take from are J. K. Simmons, Daran Norris, Fred Tatasciore.
- Can I recommend J. K. Simmons' take on J. Jonah Jameson once again?
We understand that some users are getting errors when uploading MP3 files. Certain encodings will not be compatible with the upload code. Originally Audacity saved MP3s worked at the time Casting Call was written. However the software may have changed the way it saves MP3s. At an unknown future time, the process will change where auditions will be recorded and saved directly on the site. In the meantime, please ask fellow members who have success with MP3 uploads how they are saving/encoding their files. Thanks and apologies for the inconvenience.
While a project owner is welcome to have as many active projects running as they wish outside BTVA, the limit is imposed because having too many active projects can be somewhat "unrealistic". We want those who are auditioning to feel that each project is getting the attention and quality it deserves given auditioners themselves are putting in their own time and effort. Once a project owner flags a project as "Completed", they are welcome to create a new project.
The system is built to allow ONE audition per character. This is to avoid having a number of auditions from the same member and making the project owner have to listen to all of them. For now, if you or the project owner wishes you to submit another audition, the project owner will need to "Delete" your audition. The project owner can do this in the "Edit Character/Manage Auditions" link.
As a project owner you will see a "Edit Character/Manage Auditions" link for each character. Clicking it will allow you to Cast, Backup or Pass an audition. Casting a character will prevent new auditions from being submitted for that character.