Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Site Helpers > Report Mistakes

Report Mistakes Report all errors here so we can fix them right away!

Old 03-05-2017   #1
GreenGoblin75

Thumbs up Voice of Gozaburo Kaiba in Yu-Gi-Oh

So, from what I can tell it seems David Wills was not the original voice of the character.

The sample of the character in question: http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/...ozaburo-Kaiba/

Now compare to this character seen in Sonic and the Secret Rings: https://youtube.com/watch?v=WNaU8grhExs (Credited on the site to Richard Will).

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Zmn4UCBbXKM at 3:05 David Wills' name is not found in the credits for Secret Rings, but Richard Will's is.

Now while there is the small chance Richard Will could be an alias for David Wills, I doubt that since:

1. David Wills is credited, under a reasonable facsimile of his real name, as David Willis in Sonic Rivals 2, a game that released after Secret Rings. https://youtube.com/watch?v=UuGizjIBR0g at 26:20

2. And in this episode from the Virtual World Season of Yu-Gi-Oh: http://www.yugioh.com/yu-gi-oh/freeze-play-part-2/238 at 20:56 Both David Wills and Richard Will are listed in the ending credit block of names. Very rarely are a voice actor's real name and alias listed in the same title together.

So, AFAICT, Richard Will was actually the original voice of Gozaburo Kaiba in the Virtual World Arc of Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters. Thanks to Kirbopher and rosebr10 for bringing this up originally.

Last edited by NCZ; 01-26-2019 at 10:16 AM.
GreenGoblin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017   #2
rosebr10

Default Re: Voice of Gozaburo Kaiba in Yu-Gi-Oh

Whoo there, cowboy (translation: don't twist my words).

I must respectfully disagree with how you're going about this and insist that you are wrong in your statement that "David Wills was not the original voice" of this character. It is not impossible for an actor to be credited with two different names in the same list. For example, 2 of Carrie Keranen's aliases popped up later in Yu-Gi-Oh! in Dawn of the Duel: Caroline Lawson (Mokuba Kaiba) (carried over from Grand Championship) and Evelyn Lanto (Kisara). Another example is both Bella Hudson and Erica Schroeder being listed in the 2 episodes of Pokemon Advanced that had Savannah (the recurring "Hudson" for Nurse Joy, and the non-so recurring "Schroeder" as Savannah).

I figured Richard Will to be an alias of David's as soon as I heard his Secret Rings role. The only problem is determining what other role he had in the Virtual World arc. More specifically, whether or not Wills was also Nezbitt, as I've seen him associated (such as here). Then, he can be "Wills" for one role and "Will" for the other (like what I've seen in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2's credits).

Aside from Michael Alston Baley (Odion), Madeleine Blaustein (Solomon Muto), Megan Hollingshead (Mai Valentine) and J.T. Ross (Yami Marik), whose characters were conclusively carried over from last arc's credits (whether they appeared in the Virtual World arc or not), there are some stragglers. Given their limited appearances, Kaiba's employees (especially Roland [associated with Wills]) potentially apply to this and their voice actors would only be listed if they played a more recurring character (such as say, Gozaburo Kaiba). Then there's Bella Hudson (Erica Schroeder)'s role of the Dark Magician Girl, also brief. Lastly there's Andrew Rannells (Noah Kaiba). He is never listed in this show's credits (unlike GX), as he was similarly left off the list in Grand Championship (for Leon) and the Capsule Monster Coliseum game (for Mako Tsunami, as with Season 1's credits). Fortunately for us he's so recognizable that it's a moot point.

The cast credits for the arc are as follows:
Quote:
Voice Characterizations by

Scott Anderson
Michael Alston Baley
Amy Birnbaum
Madeleine Blaustein
John Campbell
Leo Gorman
Wayne Grayson
Dan Green
Megan Hollingshead
Tara Jayne
Ted Lewis
J.T. Ross
Tom Souhrada
Grainger Stephens
Eric Stuart
Marc Thompson
Richard Will
David Wills
(note: Lisa Ortiz [Serenity Wheeler] and Karen Neill [Ishizu Ishtar] are uncredited, as with last arc)

Of the two lesser-known people in that block of names [Scott Anderson and Grainger Stephens], I figure that one of them is for Gansley (sorry Marc; I don't hear it. Maybe he was him in an earlier appearance?) and the other is Hobson (played by Jimmy Zoppi in ep 1; but someone completely different this time [i.e. not at all Ted Lewis]).

Getting back on topic, David Wills has been credited under some interesting variations of his name; it's true. "David Willis" in Sonic Rivals 2 and Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (for Espio)[listed as "David Wills" in other 4Kids Sonic-dubbed media], and "Dave Willis" (like the [adult swim] producer) in the first season of Yu-Gi-Oh! GX (for Chancellor Shepherd) [he was dropped in Season 2 for lack of appearance, but re-added for his resurgence at the start of Season 3 as "David Wills"]. Despite this, while finding anything David's done in 4Kids other than that hammy Gozaburo voice is a chore (as Season 1's G.I. Joe Sigma Six's Duke exemplifies), isolating that exact voice type isn't impossible. His role as Spike Taylor in Dinosaur King alone satisfies this.

Last edited by rosebr10; 04-04-2017 at 06:49 AM.
rosebr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017   #3
GreenGoblin75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebr10 View Post
Whoo there, cowboy (translation: don't twist my words).

I must respectfully disagree with how you're going about this and insist that you are wrong in your statement that "David Wills was not the original voice" of this character. It is not impossible for an actor to be credited with two different names in the same list. For example, 2 of Carrie Keranen's aliases popped up later in Yu-Gi-Oh! in Dawn of the Duel: Caroline Lawson (Mokuba Kaiba) (carried over from Grand Championship) and Evelyn Lanto (Kisara). Another example is both Bella Hudson and Erica Schroeder being listed in the 2 episodes of Pokemon Advanced that had Savannah (the recurring "Hudson" for Nurse Joy, and the non-so recurring "Schroeder" as Savannah).

I figured Richard Will to be an alias of David's as soon as I heard his Secret Rings role. The only problem is determining what other role he had in the Virtual World arc. More specifically, whether or not Wills was also Nesbitt, as I've seen him associated (such as here). Then, he can be "Wills" for one role and "Will" for the other (like what I've seen in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2's credits).

As Karen Neill (Ishizu) and J.T. Ross (Yami Marik) aren't listed, their characters are conclusively not significant enough to credit. Given their limited appearances, Kaiba's employees (especially Roland [associated with Wills]) potentially apply to this as well and their voice actors would only be listed if they played a more recurring character (such as say, Gozaburo Kaiba). Then there's Bella Hudson (Erica Schroeder)'s role of the Dark Magician Girl, also brief. Lastly there's Andrew Rannells (Noah Kaiba). He is never listed in this show's credits (unlike GX), as he was similarly left off the list in Grand Championship (for Leon). Fortunately for us he's so recognizable that it's a moot point.

Of the two lesser-known people in that block of names [Scott Anderson and Grainger Stephens], I figure that one of them is for Gansley (sorry Marc; I don't hear it) and Hobson (played by Jimmy Zoppi in ep 1; but someone completely different).

Getting back on topic, David Wills has been credited under some interesting variations of his name; it's true. "David Willis" in Sonic Rivals 2 (for Espio)[listed as "David Wills" in other 4Kids Sonic-dubbed media], and "Dave Willis" (like the [adult swim] producer) in the first season of Yu-Gi-Oh! GX (for Chancellor Shepherd) [he was dropped in Season 2 for lack of appearance, but re-added for his resurgence at the start of Season 3 as "David Wills"]. Despite this, while finding anything David's done in 4Kids other than that hammy Gozaburo voice is a chore (as Season 1's G.I. Joe Sigma Six's Duke exemplifies), isolating that exact voice type isn't impossible. His role as Spike Taylor in Dinosaur King alone satisfies this, as does the Duke of Soleanna in Sonic 2006.
I understand your line of thinking, but I don't understand why David Wills would be credited under his real name or Willis in multiple Sonic games than randomly switch to Richard Will in the game where Espio does not show up.
Old 03-05-2017   #4
rosebr10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGoblin75 View Post
I understand your line of thinking, but I don't understand why David Wills would be credited under his real name or Willis in multiple Sonic games than randomly switch to Richard Will in the game where Espio does not show up.
There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to how, when and why a 4Kids actor uses a particular alias in a particular show for a particular amount of time (and by extension, the reasoning behind any further name changes that occur over the course of said shows), only that how comfortable an actor is in using the same name (if not their real name) more consistently varies by the person.

Jason Griffith, for instance, used his Adam Caroleson alias for Secret Rings, but the novelty of the exclusivity diminished once Zero Gravity and Brawl did the same thing.

Only factors I can figure that make that game or timeframe (with regards to ZG and SSBB) special are that Secret Rings was developed in part by WOW Production and these three games were released from 2007-2008 (between '06 and Unleashed].

It's half-baked, but it's all I got.

Last edited by rosebr10; 03-05-2017 at 01:48 PM.
rosebr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018   #5
David Wills

David Wills here.
The only times I've worked under an alias has been when it's an outrageously silly name (like Wavey Chills or something silly).
I've never worked under the name Richard Will. The times that I've been credited under "Willis" have been the result of spelling errors on whoever typed in the credits on the closing scroll.

I'm also not the voice of Kaiba in the voice compare clip on this site. Weirdly, I still may have played him once or twice. I would occasionally sub for other actors but that voice is not mine.
David Wills is offline   Reply With Quote