Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > Interviews with Voice Actors

Interviews with Voice Actors Conducted, listened to or read a great VA interview share your experiences here.

Old 11-12-2014   #1
rosebr10

Default Interview with the original English voice of Mewtwo

15 years ago today, Pokémon The First Movie premiered in US theatres nationwide. In the midst of Pokémania, this movie delved into the philosophy of cloning and, in the case of the dubbed version, the morality of genetic engineering. This was spearheaded by Pokémon #150, Mewtwo, voiced by someone completely unfamiliar to the typical Saturday morning watcher... and contrary to popular belief, he's still very much alive! And so, without further ado, I bring you:

The Goede, The Bad, and The Bartlett

This past Friday the 24th I sent my first message to Mr. Goede in hopes of any reply whatsoever.

My faith rewarded me on Halloween night, with the ultimate confirmation from the man himself: Jay Goede and Philip Bartlett were one in the same. Why the use of an alias when his real name was used for Pokémon Live? You’ll find the answer below, as well as the origin of said alias.

Now you’re probably asking yourself “Then who’s the Phillip Bartlett that died around the time Dan Green succeeded him?” That is a mystery seemingly lost to the sands of time I’m afraid, as not even the person responsible for "Bartlett's" Find-A-Grave page has had any personal contact (as I had previously mentioned here), though the coincidence of both the name and the state of birth are nothing less of an eerie coincidence to be sure. Fortunately, this is no longer to be the case as of this day.

Unsure of Mewtwo’s other major appearance in the media (Pokémon Puzzle League), I messaged Goede once more (as seen in the above image) to make absolute certain of the range of his contributions to the franchise. What I got was more than I could have hoped for… again.

In addition to providing a definite deconfirmation for the N64 video game (meaning that it’s most likely Dan Green before he "Yami"-ed it up unless I hear otherwise), it was also revealed that he was the voice of Mewtwo’s creator, Dr. Fuji, who had a few good lines of his own (ignore the edit; it’s this or nothing). It was neither the other actor exclusive to the movie (Eric Grossfeld) or Maddie Blaustein (as sites such as Bulbapedia somehow concluded); it was also Goede. However, for the new scenes created and dubbed for later home releases of the film, he was clearly replaced by the anime’s assistant voice director Eric Stuart, who also played a younger version of the Genetic Pokémon (again, not Blaustein). You know the rest: Dan Green took the mantle for the DTV sequel, Mewtwo Returns.

I thanked Mr. Goede for his time and all his help for not only the answers he provided today, but for the inspiration he gave us all those years ago.

Last edited by rosebr10; 11-13-2014 at 03:26 PM.
rosebr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014   #2
Nightmare Crusher

Default Re: Interview with the original English voice of Mewtwo

I had a feeling that if Mewtwo's voice was anyone it was Jay. I can't thank him enough for finally clearing this up.
Old 11-12-2014   #3
economics

This is amazing. Good work and research!
Old 11-12-2014   #4
NCZ
Ask me about unions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare Crusher View Post
I had a feeling that if Mewtwo's voice was anyone it was Jay. I can't thank him enough for finally clearing this up.
Same. Glad to know my gut was right.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014   #5
Nightmare Crusher

I have to wonder how long it will take for the rest of the Internet to accept what has been uncovered. Killing rumors can be very frustrating.
Old 11-12-2014   #6
economics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare Crusher View Post
I have to wonder how long it will take for the rest of the Internet to accept what has been uncovered. Killing rumors can be very frustrating.
Probably A Few Years Or So
Old 11-13-2014   #7
Metabad

I cannot even begin to tell you how happy this news has made me.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I tried searching everywhere a few years back for any possible sources on "Phillip Bartlett's" supposed "death" because it was bugging me so much, especially since when I discovered it all the way back in 2008 or so there was absolutely no cause of death listed on Wikipedia at all, hence why I was so skeptical even when that article was updated. Where the heck did they get that information from? Especially since we now know it's false, I tried searching everywhere for actual sources on his death but after a few years I gave up, never thinking I'd be able to find the answers.

I've been obsessed with his whereabouts for years, no joke the very reason I'm even on this site in the first place is because I was trying to look into his supposed "death" and when I did an image search on Google his page here showed up. If not for that I probably would not have even known about this place.

That movie...that WAS my childhood, and Mewtwo's sheer presence, his voice, his acting, his mannerisms, it all MADE that movie and left such an impact on me. I feel like every moment in my childhood just lead up to seeing that movie day one on the big screen, and years later, thinking that he died so soon after that movie was made...even though I was skeptical, the part of me that thought that might be true was just...so heartbroken. I was so depressed at that possibility that there were some nights were I couldn't even sleep at all.

I know there was some speculation about Jay Goede being Philip Bartlett, but I had no idea it was true, much less that it would be confirmed by the man himself! And holy hot ****, I had no idea he was the scientist who created Mewtwo as well, that was my second favourite performance in that movie! To know he did both is just...wow, surreal. That guy has a LOT more range than I originally thought, and I already thought he was a fantastic, underrated actor to begin with!

I am beyond glad to know that my skepticism paid off. Rosebr10, thank you so much for this, you don't know how happy this makes me. If you told me this news to my face, I would hug you right there. Knowing that you went that extra mile and actually got an interview with the man himself is just...wow, I can't believe it, this is almost surreal. I feel like you went ahead and finished my job for me, but I gotta tell you it feels really good finally getting the answers and knowing the truth.

This news not only made my day, it made my life!

On a sidenote, it was really fascinating learning how he exactly came up with that Philip Bartlett pseudonym. I never would've guessed that that's how he came up with it, let alone that it was even a pseudonym in the first place. It was interesting hearing his experience with the role as well. And hey, I suppose it's possible he can return in the new Smash Bros. game!

One small question still kinda nags at me in the back of my mind however, even though my main concerns can finally be put to rest...who the heck voiced him in Puzzle League? I was sure it was "Phillip Bartlett" but if it isn't him, then who could it be? I thought about it possibly being Dan Green, but I listened to it again recently and can find no trace of his voice in that performance. I know he has more range than some directors normally allow him, but I don't even remotely hear the same mannerisms in that voice, so who the heck is it? And if it IS Dan Green...then he really should've used that voice in Mewtwo Returns, because that is MUCH more seamless than Yamitwo. Probably the director's fault I know, but still his performance in that movie really irked me.

Solo: nvm

Last edited by Metabad; 11-13-2014 at 02:15 AM.
Metabad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014   #8
VoteForSirAtlas
Banned

rosebr10, I like sleuthing like this!

Last edited by VoteForSirAtlas; 11-14-2014 at 01:06 PM. Reason: I was forced to correct again. Exactly, it's "sleuthing", not "solved mysteries". That's all.
VoteForSirAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014   #9
LichaRose

Great work! It's nice to have the truth come out after all these years, and to learn more about the production of the Pokemon dub.
Some voice actor misconceptions seem to take a while to squash, though.
LichaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014   #10
rosebr10

'Lo guys!

I've since found a soundbank of Mewtwo's quotes in Puzzle League and "Ready to battle?" has that Eric Stuart flair to it, and "Fool..." and "That's all you've got?" aren't too far off from that. All the other lines sound like the same person who did the cutscene, and "I'm Mewtwo" in particular reminds me of Ted Lewis. It resembles that sinister and well-spoken clarity his Giovanni is known for, at least.

In my defense I only rented the game way back when, and I never got that far.

Perhaps they unintentionally Akuma'd him and didn't pay it an afterthought?

Last edited by rosebr10; 11-14-2014 at 10:49 AM.
rosebr10 is offline   Reply With Quote