Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Game Discussion

Game Discussion Chat about video games from old school classics to the latest and upcoming releases.

Old 06-02-2013   #1
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

Default Xbox One

I'm surprised that no one has made a topic on this already. I personally find the Xbox One(stupid name btw) to be a complete train wreck. I'm convinced that Microsoft wants to fail as part of some bizarre scheme. Can anyone think of one thing, one thing, that is actually good about this stupid thing? I'm welcome to hearing it.
Old 06-02-2013   #2
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

Default Re: Xbox One

One good thing about the Xbox One? Well, they made the console war this gen a lot simpler since Microsoft is basically dead on arrival.

I really do not see this thing doing well. At all. Maybe it'll get some sales at launch from the uninformed or hardcore Microsoft fanboys, but it's already got serious negative word-of-mouth going around. For once, pretty much the entire Internet actually seems to agree that this is a complete and utter failure. What was Microsoft thinking!?

"Hm, how can we make more money?"
"How about making a quality game console with lots of developer support, innovative features, and a consumer-friendly attitude? People are bound to buy a quality product in droves, and we're sure to get lots of faithful customer support."
"Screw quality! If we want to be successful, let's squeeze every last cent out of gamers with greedy policies and shift things away from the actual games!"
"Brilliant! When do we start production?"

Last edited by NCZ; 06-02-2013 at 04:13 PM.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #3
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

I have a better idea. Let's make it so they can watch TV... on their Xbox... on their TV! That isn't pointless and redundant. Also, let's make a daily online check required so that once the servers go down our console becomes a useless brick. Then they'll have to buy all of their games again on our next system.
Old 06-02-2013   #4
NCZ

Or so if you live in a place without Internet or with a spotty connection, you can't use the system at all! Genius!
Old 06-02-2013   #5
UltimateCharm

I'm not really a gamer and as such I know next to nothing of gaming culture. Why is the X-Box One getting such a negative reputation?
How many centuries have I walked this world... caught in the crossfire of human existence? I have walked and walked -- and my eyes have beheld such struggle, such suffering, such unmitigated EVIL... The time will come when I hold the secret in my hands; when I will TRULY KNOW THE SOURCE of humanity's evil... ...and that knowledge will lead me through the Abyss ... to the threshold of GOD. And then the Day of Redemption will arrive-- for this weary world...
UltimateCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #6
PsychicVoiceSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare Crusher View Post
I have a better idea. Let's make it so they can watch TV... on their Xbox... on their TV! That isn't pointless and redundant. Also, let's make a daily online check required so that once the servers go down our console becomes a useless brick. Then they'll have to buy all of their games again on our next system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ View Post
Or so if you live in a place without Internet or with a spotty connection, you can't use the system at all! Genius!
THIS. When you pay with your own money to own a video game console and the games along with them you should be able to play the freaking thing ANYTIME YOU WANT. You should NOT be bound by the internet! I know most places have internet, but how many costumers will they be alienating in the long run by deciding to do this? It's freaking stupid!

Even then, gaming is something that is usually meant to be a relaxing and private thing for me. I like to play a quality game by myself and enjoy it and everything it has to offer by myself. I have had a PS3 hooked up to the PlayStation Network for nearly two years and I STILL HAVE NO INTEREST IN PLAYING ONLINE! The only darn thing I care about PlayStation Network for is free downloadable trailers and demos, and the occasional downloadable game, PS2, PSX, or otherwise if (usually) I can't find a physical copy of them at an affordable price. That's it!

Therefore, XBox One doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. If I feel the need to buy a new console, then I will support whichever company isn't trying to make the consumer reliant on internet to the point of this absurdity. Rant over.
PsychicVoiceSpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #7
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateCharm View Post
I'm not really a gamer and as such I know next to nothing of gaming culture. Why is the X-Box One getting such a negative reputation?
Many, MANY reasons. I'll just make a list here.

1.The Name: This is the third Xbox and they're calling it One. It's like those movies where they make a sequel and don't number it. Did you mean Fast and Furious or THE Fast and THE Furious?

2.You must connect to the Internet Daily: Exactly as it says. If you don't connect to the Internet once a day the system doesn't work. Once the online service for the thing goes down, and it will eventually, the entire system will become useless, it won't be able to do ANYTHING!

3.Kinect is required: It's no secret that Kinect was not very well received. So of course you HAVE to pay for it and it has to be connected or the system doesn't work. That would be like if you had to buy a Sega CD to use a Genesis.

4.Verifying games online: Every time you get a new game you have to register it online, which is just tediously. But more importantly....

5.Used game fee: If you buy a used game and try to register it you are forced to pay a fee. How much? Apparently it's the full price of the game. Do you have to pay the manufacturer to drive a used car? NO! This is complete BS.

6.Mandatory installs: Every game you play has to be installed on the hard drive. Between all your games, save data, downloads, and whatever else you have the hard drive is going to get filled up quickly and then you probably having to buy one of Microsoft's overpriced proprietary things.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. I could write a doctoral thesis on everything wrong with this garbage.
Old 06-02-2013   #8
NCZ

Also, the Kinect (which must always be turned on for the console to work) has the option of transmitting personally identifiable information to Microsoft, and the system may cost (based on preorder sites) 900 flippin' dollars.
Old 06-02-2013   #9
Pokejedservo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateCharm View Post
Alright I'll give you some lessons here why...

1. Used Games require a fee in order to function on the system.

If you have bought a game used from a store like Gamestop then once you try to play the game on the system you are required to purchase a activation code in order to be able to play the game at all. Whats the fee you ask? Simple about as much as a full-priced new game which means it will most likely cost about 60$ in order to start playing a new Used Game on the system. Oh yes and games are tied to the system so it will making letting people borrow your games a bit difficult. To be fair one little bit of good news is that Microsoft did say that there is a way for people to play your games on another persons system without paying the fee. However the bad news is that you have to find a way to transfer your account data over into that system in order to be able to do that. (So in other words you still can't let people borrow your games without paying heavy fees but to be fair at least you can visit friends who have a XB One system as well.) Basically to make a long story short it has some of the most draconic cases of DRM (Digital Rights Management) and if you don't know what DRM is take a look here at...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

2. A good internet connection is just about always required

Do you have a good internet connection? Do you have a good credit card to use? No? Well then your kind of screwed because your required to have a XBox Live account in order to be able to use just about anything such as being able to play new/used games to install them, use any of the multimedia functiosn and more. The system checks itself once a day to make sure it has a good internet connection intact otherwise you can't use the system. You have to pay to be able to have an XBox Live account and unlike Nintendo and Sony, Microsoft's online service does require an annual fee and its tied to only one system account. (So if other people want to play on the system they would have to pay to have an XBox Live account on their seperate accounts if they can.) So in other words if your unable to pay to have an XBox Live account than you can't use the system.

3. There is no backwards compatibility with XBox 360 games, both Disc and Digital Downloads.

This one is a lot easier to explain since XBox 360 games will not work on the system at all. To be fair you can transfer your XBox 360 gamerscore data on the XB1 and IIRC you can transfer your XBox Live account from your XBox 360 into your XB1 system.

There are other aspects as well such the name of the system (why is the 3rd XBox system called XBox One?), the accessory Kinect is required in order to be able to use the system and more.
Pokejedservo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #10
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ View Post
Also, the Kinect (which must always be turned on for the console to work) has the option of transmitting personally identifiable information to Microsoft, and the system may cost (based on preorder sites) 900 flippin' dollars.
what.... WHAT!?
I... want to see the world burn... that's all.