Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Old 04-22-2015   #1
Starscreamsfan
Banned

Unhappy R.I.P Peter Howell (1919-2015)

Hey, guys. I just received very sad news (special thanks to DaveS for giving me the news).

Peter Howell, voice of Saruman in the 1981 Lord of the Rings, passed away yesterday. As you may know, I'm a big fan of radio shows and dramas, and these news have affected me a lot.

The news were first revealed by Ian McKellen, who paid tribute to Howell on his website:

"The actor Peter Howell is well remembered as Dr Peter Harrison in 107 episodes of the UK soap Emergency Ward 10 (1957 onwards.) He used to get letters from fans asking for advice on professional healthcare, which of course he wasn't qualified to give. Later he was Saruman in the BBC radio version of Lord of the Rings (1981 with Ian Holm as Frodo Baggins and Michael Hordern as Gandalf) and was very supportive when I was much later recruited to Middle-earth.

In 1964 I had shared a dressing-room with him, during my first play in London, A Scent of Flowers: and after just a few months he entrusted me to be godfather to his new daughter Tamara. We had bonded over politics. Peter was a staunch Labour party supporter, the sort of dedicated party member who diligently attends constituency meetings, organises committees and stirs up sluggish voters at Election time. He couldn't do that this year, as he lay frail in his bed at Denville Hall. where many a distinguished actor ends his days. He died there in his sleep last night.

His life was dedicated to making the world a fairer place: fairer in both senses. He was appalled at social injustice and he loved the beauty of the arts. So he supported our union Equity at every turn and typically, almost single-handedly, he raised the funds to build a Thamesside theatre near his home in west London, Watermans Arts Centre. So he has a worthy memorial."

Ian McKellen, London, 21 April 2015

Source:
http://www.mckellen.com/writings/tri...er-howell.html

R.I.P. Saruman
Starscreamsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015   #2
Starscreamsfan
Banned

Default Re: R.I.P Peter Howell (1919-2015)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTF1967 View Post
He will be missed
Indeed. He had a lot of talent and a wonderful, hypnotic voice.
Old 06-07-2015   #3
Skullgrin140

May he rest
Skullgrin140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015   #4
Starscreamsfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullgrin140 View Post
May he rest
Yes. He's at peace now.
Old 06-15-2015   #5
Tanishka

R.i.p
Tanishka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015   #6
Cys19

Rip
Cys19 is offline   Reply With Quote