Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Game Discussion

Game Discussion Chat about video games from old school classics to the latest and upcoming releases.

Old 12-02-2014   #1
The Doctor

Default What franchises Telltale Games should tackle next?

I think we can all agree that for a small indie studio, Telltales Games has made itself big name in gaming circles during the past few years. Back to the Future: The Game, both seasons of The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us have all got a lot of praises, and their upcoming Borderlands and Game of Thrones games look promising. Even their only failure thus far, Jurassic Park: The Game, doesn't really have reputation as awful game, but rather it was simply disappointing after their previous games.

So, my question is simple: What franchises you would like to see Telltale make game out of next?

Here are the ones I would love to see:

Doctor Who
This is very popular fan-favorite choice. Go to any Telltale, Doctor Who or video game forum and you can be 95% sure that someone in there has talked about wanting to see this, and it's easy to see why. The adventures of The Doctor and his companions would be easy to turn into point-and-click adventure game.

I even have cool idea (if I may say so) for Telltales' Doctor Who game. Instead of The Doctor, you would play as his latest companion and during the 5 episodes you are acting as his moral compass (like most of the companions do in the show) and help him do life altering choices in different places in the time and space. At the end of the final episode, Doctor will have little talk about things you have done during the course of the game. Depending on how much he agrees with your choices or how well you defend your standpoint (to make it more fair to those gamers who like to play as a**hole), he either invites you to have more adventures with him or throws you out of his TARDIS.

Star Trek
Story? Simple! Federation's starship goes to alien planet to have diplomatic discussions, while something sinister is going on. The real question is, who should be the main characters? The easiest solution is to make up a new starship with its own crew, so writers would have more room to make their own story and players could project their own views, while making choices, rather than think what canon-characters would do. On the other hand, don't we all want to be part of the crew of Enterprise? Since no one wants to see Archer's Enterprise nor Abramsverse crew, and TOS-crew wouldn't feel right without James Doohan and DeForest Kelley, I propose that we go with TNG-crew!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel
I'm little iffy on which show Telltale should use. On the one hand, BtVS was pretty action heavy show and Telltales' games aren't, so Angel's private investigations agency would tranfer into Telltale - style of game better, but that could end up being little bit too similiar to The Wolf Among Us. Whichever they would go with, as long they have Joss Whedon as story consultant (heck, just have him write the whole thing ), I'm sure that it would turn out to be fantastic.

The Thing
In my opinion, all the attempts to expand John Carpenter's The Thing (let it be comics, video game or god-awful prequel movie) share same major flaw: they are too action-heavy and don't have any real suspense. Telltale really could return the series back to its roots. Borrow the basic premise of the previous The Thing video game (and nothing else) and have rescue team go throught same nightmare that the men in outpost 31 did. Imagine trying to stop The Thing reaching civilization, while not knowing who you can trust. There's a great potential for chilling horror game here, if I have ever seen one.

There are two things (no pun intended) that could stop this from working. First, Telltales' habit of making their games 4-5 episodes (that are about 2 or 3 hours each) long could really make the story drag. John Carpenter's The Thing had really tight pace, that helped the atmosphere, and stretching the running time could have easily ruined that. Second, game like this might not have much re-play value. If they make same people be infected in each playthrough, you know who you can trust after completing the game once. If they make infected people swich around randomly from one playthrough to the another, you feel cheated, since your choices wouldn't really matter. I still would love to see this happen.

Indiana Jones
If Fate of Atlantis taught us anything, Indiana Jones fits to point-and-click game like a glove to a hand.

Y: The Last Man
For those who don't know: YTLM is comic book series by Brian K. Vaughan about dystopian world where every male mammal has inexplicably died simultaneously, except escape artist Yorick Brown and his pet monkey Ampersand. With government agent (who is just called "Agent 355") and expert geneticist Dr. Allison Mann, Yorick goes around the world to find out why he was immune to this mysterious disease.

Thus far, one of the Telltales' gimmick has been that their games take place in source material's official canon, but if they ever choose to make Y: The Last Man into a game, they probably should abandon that and just make straight adaptation. With YTLM, it would be really hard to pull off side story that would make sense for newcomers and provide them with satisfying ending, while also giving something to the old fans.

Sherlock Holmes
Not talking about any specific version of Sherlock Holmes. Just have Sherlock Holmes and Watson solving "their greatest case yet", with Telltales' magic touch, and I'm sold. Again, might be little bit too similiar to Wolf Among Us, but I'm craving for great Sherlock Holmes game, so I don't care.

(Off-Topic: Haven't played Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments. Is it any good?)

Mass Effect
I know that some fellow hardcore ME fans are going to jump at my throat, but hear me out. Sure, the main selling point of ME games might be you getting to do big universe changing decisions, but they are still action games. So how would Telltale pull off Mass Effect game? I'm not suggesting that Telltale would handle Mass Effect 4 or anything like that. Leave that to Bioware. I, however, would love to see ME spin-off by Telltale.

You could be Quarian scientist, who tries to protect his Geth friend during the early days of Geth rebellion. Or small-time crook, trying to get into the big leagues on Omega. Or C-Sec officer solving cases on the Citadel. Or escaped prisoner of Batarian slavers, who is on the run. You get the idea. Mass Effect Universe is so big and rich, that Telltale could make hundreds of games out of it and still have them be recognizable as part of said universe.

Last edited by The Doctor; 12-02-2014 at 12:07 PM.
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014   #2
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

Default Re: What franchises Telltale Games should tackle next?

Honestly I think we're just overdue for a new series of Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People.

I know that Telltale's more dramatic stuff has been acclaimed and popular lately, but I'd like to see them return to the roots that originally made them great--light-hearted, and whimsical fare. As Lucasarts they were the pioneers of funny games, and that's a niche that desperately needs filling in the new generation.

I don't know anything about Tales of the Borderlands but if it's anything like the other Borderlands games, I'd imagine it doesn't shy away from humour.

US resources. Canada resources 1 and 2. I've donated, you can too. Black Lives Matter and happy Pride.
NCZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014   #3
Autovolt

I'd like to see what they could do with the Transformers franchise.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014   #4
economics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autovolt View Post
I'd like to see what they could do with the Transformers franchise.
There hasn't been a Transformers game in a while, I like to see Telltale tackle on Transformers.
Old 12-02-2014   #5
TheVengeanceKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
Sherlock Holmes
Not talking about any specific version of Sherlock Holmes. Just have Sherlock Holmes and Watson solving "their greatest case yet", with Telltales' magic touch, and I'm sold. Again, might be little bit too similiar to Wolf Among Us, but I'm craving for great Sherlock Holmes game, so I don't care.
As soon as I started playing The Walking Dead and got familiar with its gameplay, I was thinking that a Sherlock Holmes game like that would be pretty cool.
TheVengeanceKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014   #6
Music Meister

Detective Chimp
Old 12-02-2014   #7
NachoElephant

Here’s a list of Franchises that i would like Telltale games to make video games out of

Chew
Axe Cop
South Park(In the same style as the show like Stick Of Truth)
Invincible/Guarding The Globe/Invincible Universe
Hellboy
Venture Bros
The Tick
Super Dinosaur
Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure
Atomic Robo
Transformers
Ben 10 Omniverse
and anything with Marvel/DC Comics Heroes
NachoElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014   #8
VoteForSirAtlas
Banned

These are my choices:

Robert Wilson: THE IGNORANCE OF BLOOD
Since I am the greatest admirer of the literature, my first wish is to see Telltale Games' video game based on The Ignorance of Blood, a crime novel by British writer Robert Wilson
(Read his English Wikipedia article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_...rime_novelist)). And this is its synopsis:

In the wake of a terrorist attack on Seville, Inspector Jefe Javier Falcón is determined to fulfil his promise to its citizens - that he will bring the real perpetrators to justice. The violent death of a gangster provides evidence implicating the Russian mafia in the outrage, but pitches Falcón straight into the heart of a turf war over prostitution and drugs.
Now the target of brutal thugs, Falcón finds that those closest to him are also coming under intolerable pressure. His closest friend, who's spying for the Spanish government, reveals that he is being blackmailed by Islamist extremists and Falcón's own lover suffers a mother's worst nightmare.
Confronted by such fanaticism and violence, Falcón realises that only the most ruthless retaliation will work. But there's a terrible price to pay...

Regarding this video game's voice acting, my wish is to hear the voices of celebrity actors from American television series and films and professional voice actors based in California.

Dead Man Walking (1995)
My second wish is to see Telltale Games video game based on "Dead Man Walking" (1995), a 1995 American crime drama film starring Susan Sarandon and Sean Penn, and co-produced and directed by Tim Robbins. And this is its synopsis:

Matthew Poncelet has been in prison for six years, awaiting his execution by lethal injection for killing a teenage couple. Poncelet, located in the Louisiana State Penitentiary, committed the crimes with a man named Carl Vitello, who received life imprisonment. As the day of his execution comes closer, Poncelet asks Sister Helen to help him with a final appeal.
She decides to visit him, and her expectation is that he will come across as arrogant, sexist, and racist, not even pretending to feel any kind of remorse. Instead he affirms his innocence, insisting Vitello killed the two teenagers. Convincing an experienced attorney to take on Poncelet's case pro bono, Sister Helen tries to obtain life imprisonment for Poncelet. After many visits, she establishes a special relationship with him. At the same time, she gets to know Poncelet’s mother, Lucille, and the victims’ families. The families do not understand Sister Helen's efforts to help Poncelet, claiming she is "taking his side." Instead they desire "absolute justice"—his life for the lives of their children.
Sister Helen’s application for a pardon is declined. Poncelet asks Sister Helen to be his spiritual advisor through the day of execution, and she agrees. Sister Helen tells Poncelet that his redemption is possible only if he takes responsibility for what he did. Just before he is taken from his cell, Poncelet admits to Sister Helen that he killed the boy and raped the girl. During his execution, he appeals to the boy's father for forgiveness and tells the girl's parents he hopes his death brings them peace. Poncelet is then executed and later given a proper burial. The murdered boy's father attends the ceremony and begins to pray with Sister Helen, ending the film.

Regarding this video game's voice acting, my wish is to hear the voices of the same actors who played characters in 1995 film.

The J.J. & Jeff Remake
Remember the good old video game for TurboGrafx-16 called "J.J. & Jeff"? You will watch its longplay here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBSzY1ileUQ

J.J. & Jeff are bungling detectives in the same vein as Inspector Clouseau. They are out to solve a kidnapping case.

Regarding this video game's voice acting, my wish is to hear the voices of celebrity comedians and professional voice actors based in California.

How about these ideas?
VoteForSirAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014   #9
spider-batmanx12

Spider-man Untold Stories

Tangled Web

Punisher

Uncanny X-force

Terminator

Alien

SAGA

Deadpool(written by gerry duggan)

Superior Spider-man

House of M

Hunger Games

Exiles

Daily Bugle

Superior Foes of Spider-man

the real Nick Fury

Book of Doom

the origin of Kingpin

New Mutants

Madame Webb

Nova

Silver Surfer

The Pre-Movie Guardians of the Galaxy

The Inhumans(including crystal)

Howard the Duck(just for giggles)

Black Widow

Black Panther

Hawkeye

The Rise of Thanos

Agent Venom

Inception

Scream

Nightmare on Elm Street

Hannibal

Sons of Anarchy

Hellboy

Halo

Daredevil
spider-batmanx12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014   #10
RobZ92

Doctor Who
I'd love to see a TellTale Doctor Who game, in fact TellTale is one of the two gaming developers I'd trust to do a Doctor Who game, the other being Travelers Tale doing a Lego Doctor Who with every Doctor, Companion, etc... But still I'd love to see TellTale delivering a strong Doctor Who performance, though which Doctor to feature in the story could be quite a difficult choice, I'd say that it would be best to center the story around a conflict that affects different Doctors (I'd rather have the different Dotors' events take place at different times, than it being a crossover)

Firefly and/or Dollhouse
Unlike Angel and Buffy, Firefly and Dollhouse have had little chance to expand their universe, and both are stories that I'd love to know more of.
RobZ92 is offline   Reply With Quote