Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Old 11-27-2014   #1
IamOptimusPrime2020

Default Has David Kaye separated from the Ocean Group?

I really do want to know whether this is true or not, because he is now starring in a lot of productions that don't involve the rest of the Ocean Group.

Did this come about when he moved to L.A.?
IamOptimusPrime2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014   #2
CatsTuxedo

Default Re: Has David Kaye separated from the Ocean Group?

The last Vancouver-based thing he did was The Twisted Whiskers Show back in 2010. That being relatively recent, I'd like to think he hasn't entirely forsaken voice acting in that territory and he just hasn't had much opportunities come across him as of late.

On a side note, everyone calling the entirety of the Vancouver talent pool the Ocean Group really irks me because it makes it seem like Ocean's the only company that does Vancouver voice-acting productions *coughVoiceboxcough*
CatsTuxedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014   #3
Autovolt

David Kaye moved to the states in 2007 when he got cast in Transformers Animated.

Recently Trevor Devall has moved to LA.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014   #4
Polyester Funk

I'm not sure if David is completely done voicing in Vancouver, however I've read(possibly from Twitter or somewhere actually from David) that he's just very busy in LA so even if he is willing to go back it doesn't sound like he has the time.
Polyester Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014   #5
Skullgrin140

I'm 100% certain that David has kind made his career established in LA more now, so I don't think he's kind of done with any Ocean voice overs unless he would need to fly back to Canada and do something kind of one off on occasion.
Skullgrin140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014   #6
Pokejedservo

Yeah David use to alternate between California and Canada over the course of the 2000s but in the 2010s he seems to be focusing on California and in that focusing on Video Games and NA Animation. Its been highly speculated that one of the main reasons why David Kaye is focusing on California is because there sadly really isn't much for Canada anymore let alone Vancouver when it comes to Voice Work. Though it has been said that David has some regret about this mainly on how I've heard that he regrets not being able to reprise the role of Sesshomaru for Inuyasha Final Act.

But then again IIRC the only VA to still try to work at both California and Canada is Michael Donovan as while he does work in California he still has done some work back in his old home in Vancouver recently. There are other VA's who tried to work in both regions but that ended up being temporary such as how David recently staying in California while Saffron Henderson stayed in Canada. (For those who don't know Saffron Henderson went to do some Voice Work in California back in the mid-2000's namely 2005 in shows such as Naruto, Zatch Bell and games like the Punisher but in late 2006 she went back to Vancouver to be in shows like .hack//ROOTS.)
Pokejedservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014   #7
Domayv

There's also Matt Hill, who had just moved to California recently.

Anyways, for David Kaye (since he's been considered to be (when he was in Canada) Vancouver's counterpart to Crispin Freeman aside from Trevor Devall, as shown in the Vancouver dream casts of Code Geass (Jeremiah Gottwald) and Fate/Zero (Kirei Kotomine)), he's been succeeded by Michael Daingerfield Hall and Michael Adamthwaite, who in turn has succeeded Trevor Devall when he moved to LA last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokejedservo View Post
Its been highly speculated that one of the main reasons why David Kaye is focusing on California is because there sadly really isn't much for Canada anymore let alone Vancouver when it comes to Voice Work.
All thanks to the economic recession of the late 2000s. Now I'm starting to have the feeling that in the next 1-2 years, there's going to be cartoons and more pre-lay games with the voices done in Dallas and Houston, given the cheap prices and the minimal need to deal with the union issues thanks to the state's Right-to-Work laws (the Gearbox Software games and SMITE are testament to that), and non-union pre-lay cartoons and games being done in California (Skullgirls and League of Legends are testament to that).

Last edited by Domayv; 11-28-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Domayv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014   #8
Polyester Funk

I don't know how relevant this is, but Ian James Corlett has done work in California and Canada in addition to Michael Donovan. He was in Justice League and Beware the Batman, not sure about anything else.
Polyester Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014   #9
Pokejedservo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyester Funk View Post
I don't know how relevant this is, but Ian James Corlett has done work in California and Canada in addition to Michael Donovan. He was in Justice League and Beware the Batman, not sure about anything else.
Oh yeah thats true, I forgot about that. I even remember a story that Ian Corlett once mentioned that he got to meet the great Frank Welker while doing voice work for a Totally Spies episode IIRC.
Pokejedservo is offline   Reply With Quote