Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Old 05-20-2015   #21
SupremeTarantulas

Default Re: RIP Harry Shearer's Simpsons Characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
Cartoon characters get new voice actors all the time.
IN situations like this? Regardless it's disrespectful and inconsiderate to just recast him like he's not a big deal. Sure if an actor doesn't reprise because of money issues, disputes of some sort etc. unavailability they can be replaced, but Harry quit after 28 years to move on, his characters should move on too, if he gives permission or it's his idea, and wants his characters still on the show fine, and if he doesn't...

Well this post repeats itself.
SupremeTarantulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015   #22
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
If anything replacing Harry Shearerer is wrong, greedy, inconsiderate, selfish etc. and just proves how greedy Fox is, and they should make a joke about all his characters moving away or something.
Quote:
IN situations like this? Regardless it's disrespectful and inconsiderate to just recast him like he's not a big deal.
Um, not really all that disrespectful or inconsiderate to recast someone. It's only happened approximately a million times in the last century of media, for reasons relating to scheduling, budget, contract negotiations, health reasons, death, disinterest, etc.. It happens.

Quote:
Sure if an actor doesn't reprise because of money issues, disputes of some sort etc. unavailability they can be replaced, but Harry quit after 28 years to move on, his characters should move on too, if he gives permission or it's his idea, and wants his characters still on the show fine, and if he doesn't...
Again, not really. Just because he leaves doesn't mean his characters have to leave, too. Harry Shearer does not own the rights to those characters. He doesn't own the rights to their designs, their voices, their appearances within different media. He owns nothing regarding those characters. He's really got no say in the fate of the characters that he's voiced. He voiced them, but that doesn't mean those characters "belong" to him.

Peter Cullen is arguably the Optimus Prime. But he doesn't legally own the character.

A lot of people consider Rob Paulsen to be the original (or even "irreplaceable") Raph. Yet there's a dozen other actors who have played the character.

Most people think that Robin Williams is undeniably The Genie, 100%. Yet he's been recast several times. Why? Because he's simply the actor who portrayed the character. A character that was created by an army of people over a long period of time. Would Robin Williams really have any more right to "own" the character than, say, the designers? What about the writer of Aladdin? The Disney Corporation?

Actors don't own characters. They don't legally have any rights to those characters. Production and distribution companies, studio executives, law men - they own rights to characters. Actors don't (with the exception of maybe a handful of examples who are not only actors, but heavily involved in the creation of said character). So if Fox or Groening or whoever want to continue to have Shearer's characters on the show, then they will. If they want to have them "disappear", then they'll make that happen. It's their choice - not Shearer's. It's not a matter of them being rude or selfish. They have rights to use and rules to follow as the creative heads in charge.

If I decide to leave my current job to go work someplace else and my old company replaces me with a new employee, is my old company being "rude, selfish, or greedy"? HECK NO. They're being a business. I don't own that desk in my office. I don't own that phone in my office. I don't own that paperwork. I go to work, sit at their desk, answer their phones, write their paperwork. I do what they want me to. I'm an employee hired to do a job for them. And that's what Shearer is to Simpsons. Shearer was hired to do a job. If he doesn't do it, the job still exists. They can choose to get someone to replace him or choose to abolish his "position" (aka, his characters).
Old 05-20-2015   #23
Skullgrin140

If anything with Harry Shearer leaving the show, now would be a great time to bring this show to an end. It's not funny anymore and it's got to the point where The Simpsons is doing nothing except beating a dead horse, so with Shearer going I can understand. After doing the same characters for the same show for so many years anyone would have left by now had there been no signs of pulling the plug and saying enough.
Skullgrin140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015   #24
Blair

I would like to see (not that I have actually watched a single episode all of the way through in the past 20 years) the show retire one character, even if it is only a minor character, as part of an episode. It does not have to be a sad episode. Sure, Jasper Beardley as the oldest character that I can find for him could die, but that is not necessary. Another character that we rarely see could leave, and it does not even have to be the focal point of the episode.

It is not about the fact that Harry Shearer portrayed so many big and small characters during the series, it is the fact that he did it for 26 years.