Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > TV Discussion

TV Discussion Chat about your favorite shows and series here.

Old 03-08-2015   #171
Autovolt

Default Re: Transformers: Robots in Disguise (2015)

Collect 'Em All....I think this is probably my least favourite episode of the bunch thus far.

The episode starts off with a family in a camper stopping at a gas station with a kid whose just done with camping and then a fast predatory bird swoops and steals the camper. The kid is happy about the fact he's sleeping a motel tonight. Hahahahaha oh wow.

Enter Filch a Decepticon kleptomaniac fembot. He turns into a bird and is usually a bird for almost the whole episode, I think she was in robot mode only once. She is voiced by Constance Zimmer doing double duty in a really squakish Marge Simpson like voice....and all she says is SHINY! ugh This is easily the worse voice the show has had. It's annoying to hear and Filch has no personality out of being a kleptomaniac....kind of sad this is the 2nd fembot in the show. I heard we'll get more down the line but man Filch is a disappointment.

So while the Autobots are out patrolling for Decepticon signals, the front bell at the scrapyard rings and it's none other than Larry LaRue an ex-collector with a reality show that Denny does not like. Larry is really a one dimensional children's cartoon antagonist in every way. IE he isn't a fun character. It's not hard to see why Denny dislikes him. He is voiced by John Katovisch who based on his IMDB page is the music coordinator for movies like Jackie Brown, Suicide Kings and Bride of Chucky, this is his first acting role. Yeah not a good first impression.

Apparently Denny does not want to be rich or famous, he's a man with simple priorities whenever the term star is being thrown around Fixit misinterprets it as being stellar fusion. God I love it when they misunderstand terminology.

Strongarm in this episode has been a lot more of a pain in the *** with her rulebooks and protocol in this episode, mostly because she's homesick.

Grimlock tries out this car mode he's made out of scrap. Grimlock is a nonstop source of laughs.

Denny and the Autobots head out to the Crown City bridge where Filch is trying to pull out a beam. Denny disguises himself as a guy from a bird sanctuary and convinces a police officer to put up a roadblock. The people in Crown City are a bunch of chumps who take everything at face value. This police officer is voiced by Raymond Stein whose only other role according to IMDB is as himself on an episode of The Marilyn Denis show....seriously where the hell is Jamie Simone finding these people? I mean they're not bad VA's but they've done literally nothing else.

Filch sees how shiny Denny's hat is and abducts him and takes him to her nest.

Meanwhile Larry climbs over the wall and Russell lets up film for his show but he's mostly using this as an opportunity to take whatever junk he's always wanted...it's really not hard to figure out he is not very far off from Filch...ugh. Fixit ends up borrowing the camera and accidentally films himself.

The Autobots eventually get to the statue that Filch has made into a nest to rescue Denny, Sideswipe climbs up while Strongarm finally decides to disobey an order and punchs Filch defeating her.

Once Denny comes back home Larry demands that he sells him that stuff, Denny agrees but on the condition that Larry never comes back and that he hands over his memory card. GOOD. I hope he never shows up again.

We cut to Strongarm on the rooftop once more and Bumblebee congratulates her for breaking the rules and Strongarm says she's still going to write them all up.....hahahaha never change Strongarm.

Honestly I don't see myself rewatching this episode any time soon unless there is nothing else ever on. Strongarm gets some development which is nice but Filch and Larry sucked which is a shame Filch could have been so much better. Easily the weakest Decepticon character, worse than Bisk and he was annoying but he was only in it for a few minutes. Filch should have been one of those Decepticon that fought at the beginning before the real Con of the week shows up.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015   #172
Autovolt

True Colours.

This episode was a lot better than Collect 'Em All That's for sure.

The episode really starts rather quickly. Fixit finished working on a proximity alarm and the Autobots come back with an mud filled stasis pod and then suddenly Grimlock attacks Sideswipe after he makes an insult. I mean we all want to smack Sideswipe sometimes but holy crap Grimlock!

This is some black comedy here, I found myself laughing when Grimlock flicks Fixit.

Grimlock apparently is after the stasis pods but is only able to get Underbite. The proximity alarm goes off and Russell bluffs that this alerts Optimus Prime is going to come and Grimlock for the most part buys it and gets away. Nice One Russell.

Everyone can't believe what Grimlock has done. Strongarm believes Grimlock had been fooling them from the start, Sideswipe does not think so and Russell believes he's not in control of himself....which he isn't too far off from.

The Autobots head to the Crown River dam where they believe he's most likely to go and they manage to fall into a icy trap made by a cyro-inducer left by Grimlock. Wow who knew Grimlock could be strategic.

We cut to the dam and OH MY GOD IT'S STEELJAW! apparently this dam is a temporary base as Thunderhoof is out scouting for a larger one. Steeljaw is not happy Grimlock only came back with one pod and then the Autobots show up.

The scene where Bumblebee and Steeljaw clash is where the scene at the end of the RID opening came from.

It's a total brawl, Grimlock fights the Autobots while Steeljaw gets away with Underbite. Shame he wasn't in action this episode...oh well more Underbite in the future!

The way the Autobots take down Grimlock is pretty smart using cables to tie up and trip Grimlock. Fixit finally manages to patch in on the comm and we find out that this is handywork of a cyber-tick name Minitron....yes Minitron. Must be Megatron's long lost twin. He doesn't really speak and but he's a pesty little bugger where he bites a bot and can control them this results in a brawl between The Autobots against each other as he keeps on hoping each other biting the other however Grimlock catches him and defeats him.

So all is well and forgiven, Grimlock is truly on their side and Bumblebee finally decides to get Fixit to change his Decepticon insignia to an Autobots. Congrats Grimlock you're finally an Autobot now and to celebrate he gives Sideswipe and Russell a big ol' bear hug which is squeezing Russell way too tight that he can't breathe anymore.

Overall a good episode for Grimlock getting some development and Steeljaw's faction is growing bigger and bigger each episode. Can't wait for when his full crew is fully assemble.
Old 03-14-2015   #173
DreamMaster08X

Post Re: Transformers: Robots in Disguise (2015)

US premiere of the show today at 6pm. I'm a very patient man having not pushed myself to cheat and watch the pre-US released episodes online.

"Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo: so little time, so much to know!"
~Jeremy Hillary Boob, Ph.D. - Yellow Submarine [1968]

Album of the Week: "Deep Purple In Rock" by Deep Purple
DreamMaster08X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015   #174
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

S1E1 - ďPilot, Part 1Ē

-So...Cybertron is now fully inhabited again? That either didnít take long at all or itís been REALLY long between shows.
-Cybertronian forms! Itís been too long.
-Aww, no cool intro sequence?
-The animation is looking far better than the promos made them out to be.
-Five minutes and thereís actual humour. LOVE IT.
-Ha ha, ďbad impersonation of BumblebeeĒ. Itís the Charlie Chaplin look-a-like contest all over again.
-I LOVELOVELOVE this version of Sideswipe!
-So far, so good. Fantastic combination of action and humour. Letís hope the show can keep things up.
Old 03-14-2015   #175
Skullgrin140

So far I am really enjoying the show a great deal. RID is a vast improvement from Transformers Prime a mile ahead which is why I don't see this being a sequel, more like it's it's own show that if you watch this without ever really watching Transformers Prime then it feels right.

The characters for the most part are fun and interesting, it's rather neat to see Bumblebee take on the role of leader and struggle with his position as a leader. In some way it's a huge throwback to Rodimus Prime and the difficulties he faced in G1.

One thing that is surprising me so far is the choice of voice casting, hands down the work by Troy Baker as Steeljaw is surprising to listen to. Troy brings a level of smoothness and deception to the role and makes him far more of a threat than example Starscream & Megatron in Prime.

I'm sticking with this show to see how it turns out.

Last edited by Skullgrin140; 03-14-2015 at 08:20 AM.
Skullgrin140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015   #176
TheLemsterPju

Just got done watching part 2 of the pilot.

Dat deus ex machina @ the end.
Old 03-15-2015   #177
Autovolt

So I just saw Rumble in the Jungle. and guess what it takes place in a jungle....very nice.

Another great episode of the show. This one has some great character development for Strongarm as well as Fixit and Denny.

So Strongarm is finally given the opportunity of going on a solo mission which she excited for (mostly for a potential promotion) unfortunately for her Fixit keeps contact her every ten or so minutes....and then she finds Bumblebee following her, Bumblebee has a bit of difficulty trusting her on her own, needless to say Bumblebee isn't going to really stop following her.

Meanwhile hijacks ensue at the scrapyard, Denny and Fixit begin to have a feud over who is the more useful member of the team.

Strongarm and Bumblebee pinpoint the Decepticon signal to the jungle and find our Decepticon of the week Springload, a strange Amphiboid who turns into a pickup truck and is obsessed with the lost city of Doradas which immediately brings to mind El Dorado, which even has its own mythical fountain...one made of Energon.

Springload is voiced by John Steven Rocha, another person I haven't heard of before but he leaves a great impression with his performance. The character is completely delusional having attacked many museum personal in the past believing he is truly worthy of Doradas. Rocha's voice reminds me a bit of Phil LaMarr's Hermes minus the Jamaican accent and is a lot more unhinged.

Bumblebee has plans to call for backup but Strongarm tells Fixit that she already has caught Springload because it's her solo mission darn it! This reckless side of Strongarm we have never seen before...I found it somewhat puzzling while watching the episode. The most rule oriented Autobot who is kind of a hypocrite in doing things their way....she's sort of like IDW Prowl....minus being a colossal prick of course.

Denny and Fixit fight over who gets to fix The Decepticon hunter so Fixit decides to rearrange the scrapyard much to Denny's dismay so Denny goes and rewires the command center.

I just wanted to say that Sideswipe and Grimlock actually make a great duo surprisingly, especially considering how in the last episode Sideswipe stood up for Grimlock. They're starting to become really chummy.

Strongarm tries to grab Springload but he has an acidic armour coating, much like a lot of poisonous frogs and this whole temple starts collapsing so Strongarm blasts a hole in the wall to escape. Strongarm admits what she's done but pleads with Bumblebee to give her one last chance and she admits to needing his help at long last.

Denny finally sits down to watching some TV but all it's playing is Cybertron's Most Wanted which is just the Alchemor prison list on 24/7. The two are still at until Russell, Sideswipe and Grimlock come back with the Decepticon hunter now making a weird sound so Denny and Fixit work together to disarm the hunter. Turns out it's a kazoo they had found earlier and they realize they can make a pretty good team and now plan to work on making more Decepticon hunters. Well done Russell, Grimlock and Sideswipe.

Strongarm then pretends to be a spirit of Dorados telling Springload he is unworthy which gives Bumblebee the chance to spring (get it) a trap and knock him into an ancient casket where Bumblebee tells Strongarm good work especially for using Springload's fears against him and putting aside her pride to ask for help.

The "Not If You Prove Yourself Worthy" Bumblebee says at the end is hilarious and perfectly caps off the episode.

Overall another really funny episode with a lot of great laughs and Springload is a total looney and I love him for that. I hope he shows up again.
Old 03-15-2015   #178
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

S1E2 - “Pilot, Part 2”

-Still get a chuckle out of “Chompazoid”, ha ha.
-AWWWW YEEEAAAA GRIMLOOOOCCCCCKKKKKKK!!!! Complete with the Jurassic Park T.Rex roar? I always wonder how they swing that with licensing and trademark problems.
-”Teach me, like Optimus taught you!” ”I’m not Optimus!” Well, you’re sure doing everything in your power to act like him, and not in a good way, Bumblebee...
-Ugh, no, please don’t drop a “Robots in Disguise”-line...
-Uggghhhhhhh...
-Not only Cybertronian forms, but Cybertronian forms that are noticeably different than their Earth forms. YES.
-Ha ha, ”Roll up and roll out!” Wha-wha-whaaaaa...
-So, Bumblebee says that they need to remain as robots in disguise. Hidden. Incognito. They need Earth modes. Except for himself. And Grimlock. And Fix-It.
-Wow, Optimus’ sudden appearance sure was super convenient and not at all contrived!
-But hey, Optimus is smiling. Nice to see that again.
-Love the score for this show. Very Jablonsky-esque.

S1E3 - “Trust Exercises”

-Ooh, we finally get an intro! Sweet!
-Ah, these show makes me laugh at least three times per episode. I love this show so far.
-Given the fun and unique designs for the Decepticons, I’m surprised they didn’t give Hammerstrike an eye-patch, since he’s a pirate and all.
-Friggin’ Sideswipe...you make a horrible Decepticon.
-So, if they can’t get traction in the oil by walking with their feet/legs, why can they suddenly get traction with wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLemsterPju View Post
Dat deus ex machina @ the end.
Holy balls, you weren't kidding.

Last edited by TylerMirage; 03-15-2015 at 11:28 AM. Reason: I can grammar.
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015   #179
TheLemsterPju

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMirage View Post
-Wow, Optimus’ sudden appearance certainly sure was super convenient and not at all contrived!

Holy balls, you weren't kidding.
I'm surprised everybody is turning a blind eye to it, considering it's the Internet.

Last edited by TheLemsterPju; 03-15-2015 at 11:21 AM.
TheLemsterPju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015   #180
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLemsterPju View Post
I'm surprised everybody is turning a blind eye to it, considering it's the Internet.
Oh, I'm sure the episode discussion on TFW brought it up at some point.