Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Old 12-16-2014   #11
Domayv

Default Re: Are Vancouver dubs going to go extinct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaddes View Post
I've often wondered this myself. It's a shame. Ocean produced some solid dubs back in the day. I'm totally ok with NYAV taking over as the Gundam dub studio though.
Maybe NYAV and Ocean can both be Gundam dub studios: NYAV can handle the older Gundam titles in the Universal Century continuity by re-dubbing the 1979 Mobile Suit Gundam series (plus the compilation films), Char's Counterattack and Zeta Gundam (plus the compilation films), and dubbing ZZ Gundam, since all of them share the same characters as Gundam Unicorn and Gundam: The Origin (Gundam F91 (which was dubbed in California), Victory Gundam and the new Reconquista in G, though lying in the Universal Century Timeline, all have entirely new characters); whilst Ocean can dub newer titles such as Reconquista in G, Gundam AGE and Gundam Build Fighters, and even possibly dub older titles (if NYAV doesn't dub them) such as After War Gundam X (considering how everyone here in the states wants it to be released here even to this day) and Turn A Gundam.

Last edited by Domayv; 12-16-2014 at 12:25 AM.
Domayv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014   #12
Gaddes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domayv View Post
Maybe NYAV and Ocean can both be Gundam dub studios: NYAV can handle the older Gundam titles in the Universal Century continuity by re-dubbing the 1979 Mobile Suit Gundam series (plus the compilation films), Char's Counterattack and Zeta Gundam (plus the compilation films), and dubbing ZZ Gundam, since all of them share the same characters as Gundam Unicorn and Gundam: The Origin (Gundam F91 (which was dubbed in California), Victory Gundam and the new Reconquista in G, though lying in the Universal Century Timeline, all have entirely new characters); whilst Ocean can dub newer titles such as Reconquista in G, Gundam AGE and Gundam Build Fighters, and even possibly dub older titles (if NYAV doesn't dub them) such as After War Gundam X (considering how everyone here in the states wants it to be released here even to this day) and Turn A Gundam.
Would be an interesting idea for sure. I'm kinda curious to why Sunrise and Bandai dropped Ocean as the defacto offical dub studio for Gundam.
Gaddes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014   #13
Autovolt

It's sad how almost no dubbing companies are willing to go up north and give the Vancouver talent some more work. Hopefully someday we'll start seeing more happen again. I mean does FUNimation have to dub almost all of the anime they licensed, why can't they outsource a few here and there? I'm glad they let Ocean dub Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail but they really should consider doing this more often.

Quote:
I've often wondered this myself. It's a shame. Ocean produced some solid dubs back in the day. I'm totally ok with NYAV taking over as the Gundam dub studio though.
Quote:
Quote:
Would be an interesting idea for sure. I'm kinda curious to why Sunrise and Bandai dropped Ocean as the defacto offical dub studio for Gundam.
I like this idea a lot.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014   #14
Skullgrin140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autovolt View Post
It's sad how almost no dubbing companies are willing to go up north and give the Vancouver talent some more work. Hopefully someday we'll start seeing more happen again. I mean does FUNimation have to dub almost all of the anime they licensed, why can't they outsource a few here and there? I'm glad they let Ocean dub Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail but they really should consider doing this more often.
That's kind of how I feel about the current state of things, I'm mixed towards Funimation's Approach to dubbing Anime and it seems unfair for them to take up whatever comes there way. However since they are a business they do make alot of money rather well, but that doesn't mean they have to have 99.99999999999999999% of any Anime that comes overseas.

Vancouver still has some of the finest veterans and new talents in Anime dubbing over the past 2 decades and it felt like a breath of fresh air when Black Lagoon & Death Note where done by them for a change instead of anyone from LA or Funimation. In reality some of their dubs have their ups and downs but their finest works stick out and make their talent known rather widely, but Ocean need to make a grand comeback and maybe give Anime voice acting a rather wider range than having them just go straight to Funimation and reuse the same actors over and over again.
Skullgrin140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014   #15
Domayv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autovolt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullgrin140 View Post
That's kind of how I feel about the current state of things, I'm mixed towards Funimation's Approach to dubbing Anime and it seems unfair for them to take up whatever comes there way. However since they are a business they do make alot of money rather well, but that doesn't mean they have to have 99.99999999999999999% of any Anime that comes overseas.

Vancouver still has some of the finest veterans and new talents in Anime dubbing over the past 2 decades and it felt like a breath of fresh air when Black Lagoon & Death Note where done by them for a change instead of anyone from LA or Funimation. In reality some of their dubs have their ups and downs but their finest works stick out and make their talent known rather widely, but Ocean need to make a grand comeback and maybe give Anime voice acting a rather wider range than having them just go straight to Funimation and reuse the same actors over and over again.
The issue is that Funimation's both a licensing company and a studio, plus that Texas is a right to work state, thus offering cheaper prices, so Funi's not going to be convinced that they can try to outsource some titles outside of Dallas, even if the titles in question already has a pre-existing cast (such as Last Exile and Fafner). The same can be said with Sentai (technically, they don't in-house dub it, they have it done by Seraphim Digital, which other companies have used the studio before). The companies that are going to be the first to outsource to Ocean in this decade are Viz and Aniplex. Sentai's probably gonna be the last one to start outsourcing to Ocean due to their tight schedule and lower budget compared to Funi, Viz and Aniplex (though it's quickly improving), though if they could outsource several series to LA and NYAV (even the ones that are fairly niche here like K-On!; and even doing a better job than Funimation), they could do the same with outsourcing to Vancouver. In fact, Sentai might even have an advantage over Funi when it comes with the home video sales needed to break even since it requires a almost half as many copies for Sentai titles to sell (both local and outsourced dubs) to do so compared to Funimation titles.

Last edited by Domayv; 12-18-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-18-2014   #16
Gaddes

Quote:
I'm really glad Funi handed Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood off to Ocean. Can't imagine anyone else doing it honestly. Funi tends to outsource only if there is high fan demand i.e Black Lagoon and Bayonetta.
Old 01-28-2015   #17
Domayv

It's been a while for this thread but AnimeNewsNetwork explains why there aren't many Vancouver dubs nowadays in this article.

On the bright side though, the USD is now worth 1.25 CAD (meaning 20+% cheaper than the loonie) and has surpassed 2005-2007 levels.

Last edited by Domayv; 01-28-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-28-2015   #18
Gaddes

Quote:
It's been a while for this thread but AnimeNewsNetwork explains why there aren't many Vancouver dubs nowadays in this article.

On the bright side though, the USD is now worth 1.25 CAD (meaning 20+% cheaper than the loonie) and has surpassed 2005-2007 levels.
Pretty good explanation actually. A Vancouver anime dub is gonna be unlikely though save the odd video game via Capcom Vancouver.
Old 02-04-2015   #19
Autovolt

Their is the upcoming anime coming this spring called Rin-ne that was created by Rumiko Takahashi (creator of Inuyasha and Ranma 1/2) and it's being licensed by Viz.

It got me thinking if there was any anime that HAS to be dubbed at Ocean Group Studios it's this one. I mean almost all of the anime based on Takahashi's work had been dubbed in Vancouver before, it's only fair they should do so here.

Heck Kappei Yamaguchi and Satsuki Yukino are going to be in it, so naturally I think Richard Ian Cox and Kira Tozer should totally dub their character.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015   #20
Domayv

@Autovolt: I haven't heard of anyone licensing Rin-Ne, and even if Viz licenses it, it seems pretty likely that it will be dubbed in LA, taking into account Viz's recent dubbing practices by always having virtually everything dubbed in LA on the grounds that it's "cheaper" than Vancouver. It kind of made sense during the recession years, but nowadays, Vancouver is actually cheaper than LA (almost reaching Texas prices) taking into account the USD/CAD ratio, and its unions are nowhere as as stringent as LA's (which could explain why Brad Swaile appeared in Street Fighter X Tekken, which was non-union). With all of those taken into account, why haven't Viz and AoA and the J-game companies bothered to outsource some dubs to Ocean.