Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Movie Discussion

Movie Discussion Discuss all things related to upcoming, latest and classic movies! Threads may contain SPOILERS!

Old 12-22-2019   #21
The Doctor

Default Re: "Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker" (2019)

As someone who likes, but didn't grow-up with Star Wars nor counts it amongst his favorite franchises, thinks that Force Awekens was OK and The Last Jedi amazing, I think this movie was bad.

This spat in the face of all the interesting ideas and set-ups of The Last Jedi, in favor of going the least interesting and most generic routes instead, the cut-and-paste Carrie Fisher was so awkward, the running time was both too long and too short (too long for a cookie cutter story like this, but too short for all the new characters and plot-turns to have any emotional impact).

Oh, and Rey's character-arc was completely screwed over. Going from letting go of her hang-ups about her parents and embracing her own legacy in the previous two movies to finding out that she should have cared about her inheritance all along and embracing someone else's legacy in this one.

Why did the prequel trilogy had the best third movie of all three Star Wars trilogies (by the standards of their respective trilogies, not as a whole)?
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019   #22
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

I don't worship Star Wars at the altar or anything, but I like the movies. My personal opinion on post-Lucasfilm SW is I liked TFA and Last Jedi, disliked Rogue One, and I'm not interested in Solo or ROS. I read spoilers and plot details and it all just sounds like a mess. The vibe I get is they tried to "please everyone" and in doing so pleased no one.

I don't know if the ST even needed to be a trilogy, honestly. I think forcing themselves into that mentality ("It HAS to be a trilogy because that's how SW has always been done!") really screwed them over. (The Hobbit, anyone?)

Quote:
Why did the prequel trilogy had the best third movie of all three Star Wars trilogies (by the standards of their respective trilogies, not as a whole)?
The thing about ROTS is that it's like, "THAT'S what we've been waiting for!" TPM and AOTC are basically a series of filler adventures, ROTS is the only one that truly feels like a prequel to the OT. So it's basically the best by default. The problem with OT and ST is they peaked early so the third movie suffers as a result. "Well shoot, where do we go from here?" Coming back to my previous point, it's interesting that the OT is the only time SW has really nailed a trilogy, and even there you can see the cracks with ANH basically being a standalone movie and ROTJ laying the seeds for some of George's indulgences.

US resources. Canada resources 1 and 2. I've donated, you can too. Black Lives Matter and happy Pride.

Last edited by NCZ; 12-22-2019 at 01:12 PM.
NCZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019   #23
GreenGoblin75

I really enjoyed that this movie basically felt like a direct f.u. to Last Jedi but Id still be hard pressed to call it very good.

This whole trilogy felt pointless and literally took the series nowhere. Were right where ROTJ ended.

As a fan of the old EU especially Im glad this trilogy is over. Maybe next time Lucasfilm will actually plan out their story in advance.
Old 12-26-2019   #24
SNaG

This movie freaking sucked.

https://streamable.com/ekjrp
SNaG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019   #25
Bry
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNaG View Post
This movie freaking sucked.
Yet, you are here.

Everything has fallen to pieces

The Official Janitor of BTVA
Bry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019   #26
SNaG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Yet, you are here.
That line wasn't in the movie either. Bummed out about that, would have been hilarious.

https://streamable.com/ekjrp
SNaG is online now   Reply With Quote