Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Old 08-20-2018   #1
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

Default "Two Actors Share One Role Therefore They Should Share Multiple Roles"

I don't want to make this a call out thread of anyone in particular, but I wanted to address I mindset I've seen crop up every once in awhile. It's the idea that, as the title says, two actors sharing one role means they should share multiple roles. I see this in particular regarding the English dubbing of Japanese characters so that's where my focus will be.

To give an example that I think I actually did see once, "Ben Diskin dubbed Wataru Takagi as Knuckle Bine. Because of this Ben Diskin should also dub Wataru Takagi as Okuyasu." But if that's all it takes then why shouldn't Okuyasu be played by Jeff Bergman or Terry Klassen?

Even professionals fall into this trap. Xemnas from Kingdom Hearts was supposed to go to Skip Stellrecht because he just so happened to share a role with Norio Wakamoto on Cowboy Bebop. He only ended up with Paul St. Peter as his voice by accident. And if you're familiar with those two actors you would know that we got the better deal in the actual game.

To be frank, I think this mentality is short sighted and foolhardy. Think of a Venn Diagram. Just because two things have some overlap does not mean they are identical. The fact of the matter is that when sharing one role is the only justification you can basically justify ANYTHING.

How about David Spade as Cell from Dragon Ball? Or how about Mr. T as Yoshikage Kira? What's stopping you from casting Ed Marcus as Captain Falcon? Want to make it more extreme? How about Kenshiro voiced by GILBERT GOTTFRIED? Perhaps throw on a little Andrew Rannels as Ocelot? Or maybe you could have Kyle Hebert... as DORA THE EXPLORER! When sharing a role is your only standard then nothing has to actually make any sense.

My point with all this is to demonstrate something very simple. Casting, especially for dubs, is not as simple as pairing two actors together and having them share everything. The individual characters should come first. Obviously I can't stop anyone from coming up with casting ideas like this, but I think it would produce better results if people actually took the time to find actors who fit these characters rather than simply plugging in someone who happens to share a completely different role.

Last edited by Nightmare Crusher; 08-20-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Nightmare Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018   #2
Frontier

Default Re: "Two Actors Share One Role Therefore They Should Share Multiple Roles"

I get what you mean, although sometimes I think it's a little fun and amusing like when they have Keith Silverstein voice a Shuichi Ikeda character (I think he's done 3-4 by this point), or Erik Kimerer as Yuuki Kaji characters.
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018   #3
Shaun Ince

Default Re: "Two Actors Share One Role Therefore They Should Share Multiple Roles"

This is something I have seen crop up lately, even on some of the pages on this site. While I think this is harmless, I can understand why you would take issue with it. It's not very creative in terms of creating your own fancasts.
Shaun Ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018   #4
Kioea
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare Crusher View Post
What's stopping you from casting Ed Marcus as Captain Falcon?
Ed as Captain Falcon could be kind of funny. But I can still think of much better choices, both within that pool, and outside of it.
Kioea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018   #5
8000 Saiyans

Gilbert Gottfried as Kenshiro and Kyle Hebert as Dora the Explorer would be hilarious to hear.
8000 Saiyans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018   #6
whyofbladez

I mean... I think Gilbert Gottfried could do a better job at being Kenshiro than William Winckler did.
whyofbladez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018   #7
Metabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyofbladez View Post
I mean... I think Gilbert Gottfried could do a better job at being Kenshiro than William Winckler did.
How about William Winckler as Iago?

"YOU'RE THE ONE WHO'S GONNA TAKE A FALL, COME AT ME, DUDE!"
Metabad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018   #8
Shaun Ince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metabad View Post
How about William Winckler as Iago?
I can hear Nightmare Crusher screaming in the distance. Just on the basis of that mere suggestion.
Shaun Ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018   #9
8000 Saiyans

Hell, as much I like Ted Cole, he'd be greatly miscast as Kenpachi even if he dubbed over Fumihiko Tachiki in Gintama.
8000 Saiyans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018   #10
Metabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Ince View Post
I can hear Nightmare Crusher screaming in the distance. Just on the basis of that mere suggestion.
Nightmare Crusher08/20/2018
That is actual genius.

He actually took it pretty well.

"YOU'RE THE ONE WHO'S GONNA TAKE A FALL, COME AT ME, DUDE!"
Metabad is online now   Reply With Quote