Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Game Discussion

Game Discussion Chat about video games from old school classics to the latest and upcoming releases.

Old 12-04-2015   #1
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

Default The Legend of Zelda

I don't know why, but I thought it might be nice to have a general discussion thread for Zelda.

There's something in particular I wanted to ask, what's so great about Link to the Past? I don't get it. I can go into more detail if you want, but I'm struggling to think of anything in that game which wasn't outdone by Ocarina of Time, Link's Awakening or both.
Old 12-04-2015   #2
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

Default Re: The Legend of Zelda

A Link to the Past is one of those games where I think to fully appreciate it, you have to have been there when it happened, or at least put yourself in the shoes of the time period as best as you can.

To be honest I've actually not played a lot of it, but I think what made people love it so much was that it was the third Zelda game.

The first was a fun, open-world game that gave you freedom to explore and craft your own journey. The second was Zelda II.

A Link to the Past took the open-world formula of the original game, made it even prettier and more detailed, had a glorious SNES sound-chip soundtrack, an imaginative and engrossing yet simple storyline, and not one, but two worlds to explore. Putting it into perspective like that, it basically laid the foundation for everything since. It is to Zelda what Super Mario World is to Mario.

Honestly I always wondered that about what made Ocarina so much better and more beloved than Majora's Mask or Wind Waker or anything after, but if you look at every video game released before and since, you realize just how much we take its innovations like the 3D combat, lockons, and excellent dungeon design for granted. Even now it's still a gorgeous and immersive game.

What Ocarina and ALTTP have in common is that they are straightforward but challenging, rewarding, and do many things just so well. They're pure, straightforward gaming glory, and that's what makes them such a universally beloved experience.

Me though... I'm always partial to Link's Awakening! Took everything great about ALTTP, distilled it on a handheld, and despite being a more compact experience, it was still an incredible journey with a bittersweet story that managed to squeeze in every last ounce of love that the GameBoy was capable of. The fact that it was a GameBoy game is just astounding to me. There's so much to do, it's really such a marvel to behold. I really think Nintendo's Gameboy lineup doesn't get enough love today. There are so many wonderful games for it. Link's Awakening, Wario Land, the birth of Kirby, Metroid II, Kid Icarus 2, Game & Watch Gallery, and of course Pokemon, Dr. Mario, Tetris, and so many other underrated titles.

Last edited by NCZ; 12-04-2015 at 02:15 PM.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015   #3
BlueHeracross

Yeah, I suppose aLttP really was one of those "had to have been there" games. I enjoyed the GBA version, but I liked most of the other 2D handheld entries better. I do recognize its importance in solidifying the series' staple gameplay elements, items, and story components though. I feel the same way about it as a lot of people do about Ocarina of Time, great game that's really overrated/over-hyped.

Anyway, here are some question prompts!

-Overall thoughts on the series?
-Favorite 3D title?
-Favorite 2D title?
-Favorite gimmick?

I'd say that thee are no truly bad Nintendo developed Zelda games. The DS titles and Skyward Sword get a decent amount of flak, but they're still fun games (even if they're considered inferior to their brothers). They each had some thing good going for them as well (Linebeck, music, Groose etc.) Looking forward to Zelda Wii U/NX? and I hope they still do 2D entries in the future.

Favorite 3D title is Majora's Mask. I really like it as a sequel, not in a story aspect, but a gameplay one. It used a base and structure that everyone was familiar with (from OoT and previous entries), and added its own unique twist that really makes the game stand out. It's unfortunate there were only 4 main dungeons though, some of my favorite entries seem to only have a few...(Wind Waker is my second favorite).

Favorite 2D title is one of the ones in the GB trio. I feel like Link's Awakening is more unique in its identity, but the others were a lot more colorful and had more interesting items and puzzles. They're all about equal in the end.

Favorite gimmick is wall merging from A Link Between Worlds. Everything about that technique and how it was utilized was amazing. It's a shame the overall game was brought down (imo) by reusing an overworld...

Yep, big fan of the series, probably my favorite series around too. How about you guys?
BlueHeracross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015   #4
DarkWhite

My Top 5

1) Majora's Mask
2) Link's Awakening
3) Twilight Princess
4) Wind Waker
5) Minish Cap

One's I did not enjoy
Phantom Hourglass
The Oracle games

And one's not on the top 5 are all really good/excellent.

I hope Nintendo releases a trailer for the new Zelda soon cause to be honest it hasn't gotten me all that interested/hyped
DarkWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015   #5
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

I'm aware of how much ALTTP brought to the series, but I feel that it doesn't execute them so well. The plot was pretty much reused by OOT, but done a lot better in many ways, such as making the sages actual characters instead of the maidens who are barely more than glorified keys.

This is getting more into the abstracts of game feel or whatever you want to call it, but there's something about even the way that Link controls that feels wrong to me. Hard to describe.

Favorite 3D title: This is cheating, but I can't really seperate OOT and MM. I think they compliment each other well with each game covering the weaknesses of the other.

Favorite 2D title: I'm big on all of the GB/GBC titles, but if I had to pick one I think Ages stuck with me the most. I do love all three of them though.

Favorite Gimmick: Was always partial to the transformatikn masks myself. I like the idea of having different forms and one of my bigger gripes with TP was that the wolf felt underutalized.
Old 12-04-2015   #6
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

Fair enough then.

Favourite 3D: MM or Wind Waker depending on my mood. The former has the best atmosphere and mood of any Zelda and the latter is the one that most captured the feeling of optimism and adventure that I love from the series.

Favourite 2D: Link's Awakening for reasons I mentioned earlier.

Favourite gimmick: Sailing in Wind Waker and Epona in any game she's in. I loved the feeling of exploration and freedom.

I have Minish Cap, both Oracles, and ALBW but haven't played them (technically they're all my brother's so). Only ones I don't own at all are Four Swords Adventures and Triforce Heroes.

Quote:
I hope Nintendo releases a trailer for the new Zelda soon cause to be honest it hasn't gotten me all that interested/hyped
I know exactly why they're not showing much of it beyond the occasional tease, and that's because it's going to be a Twilight Princess situation again and re-revealed at E3 to launch on both Wii U and NX. It seems like an inevitability at this point and I'd be incredibly baffled if that doesn't happen. We won't hear much until then with both HW Legends and TP HD on the way.

Also I get the feeling Monolith Soft are assisting in its development.

Last edited by NCZ; 12-04-2015 at 04:12 PM.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015   #7
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

You know, Link's Awakening really doesn't get enough credit, being overshadowed by it's big brother. Link's Awakening is like the proto-Majora's Mask. The idea of Link being flung into a surreal world where nothing is certain really came from here. They've both got this bright and colorful look that is dissonant to a grim undercurrent that the world itself is doomed. Obviously Majora's Mask got more in-depth with it, but the idea started with Link's Awakening. I guess you could say it started with LttP's Dark World, but that was pretty much just a wasteland. Koholint and Termina have a lot more personality and depth to them.
Old 12-14-2015   #8
DarkWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare Crusher View Post
You know, Link's Awakening really doesn't get enough credit, being overshadowed by it's big brother. Link's Awakening is like the proto-Majora's Mask. The idea of Link being flung into a surreal world where nothing is certain really came from here. They've both got this bright and colorful look that is dissonant to a grim undercurrent that the world itself is doomed. Obviously Majora's Mask got more in-depth with it, but the idea started with Link's Awakening. I guess you could say it started with LttP's Dark World, but that was pretty much just a wasteland. Koholint and Termina have a lot more personality and depth to them.
Absolutely. That's what's so great about LA. It's wide open for interpretation with a lot of moral ambiguity. Its one of the first games where I questioned my ultimate goal. Are the nightmares really bad for just wanting to live? Do I really want to erase the world of Koholint and all the people I met, especially Marin? The big thing is that the NPCs of LA have such great personalities that you kinda grow attached to them despite not a lot of dialogue. Or is it ultimately right to awaken the Wind Fish and end the dream-turned-nightmare freeing him and Link from the evil monster's dominion?
DarkWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015   #9
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWhite View Post
Absolutely. That's what's so great about LA. It's wide open for interpretation with a lot of moral ambiguity. Its one of the first games where I questioned my ultimate goal. Are the nightmares really bad for just wanting to live? Do I really want to erase the world of Koholint and all the people I met, especially Marin? The big thing is that the NPCs of LA have such great personalities that you kinda grow attached to them despite not a lot of dialogue. Or is it ultimately right to awaken the Wind Fish and end the dream-turned-nightmare freeing him and Link from the evil monster's dominion?
I would question if there is even a choice. It seems like the island is doomed no matter what. Either the Wind Fish wakes up or Nightmare slowly destroys it. In a way, Link has to steal what little time these people have left just for his own personal survival. Even in Majora's Mask you are ultimately a good guy unambiguously saving the world. Not many Gameboy games can boast having a moral conundrum this deep, intentional or not.
Old 12-28-2015   #10
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

There's something I just realized about LttP that bothers me. In some ways it really doesn't feel like an adventure in an unknown land. Notice how most Zelda games start with Link living in some isolated part of the world(Kokiro Forest, Skyloft, etc.) or dropped off into some parallel dimension. In LttP he lives right in the middle of the map and many of the NPCs already seem to know him. The game also just hands you a pretty detailed map of the world. Even when you go into the Dark World, which should be totally uncharted territory, you still have a big map. The game even marks all of the dungeons on your map and they're easy to find on there anyway. The other games that fill in your map as you go along rather than just handing it to you from the start.

Last edited by Nightmare Crusher; 12-28-2015 at 05:10 PM.
Nightmare Crusher is online now   Reply With Quote