Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Movie Discussion

Movie Discussion Discuss all things related to upcoming, latest and classic movies! Threads may contain SPOILERS!

Old 06-03-2015   #1
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Default "Aquaman" (2018)

First of all, I'd like to let everyone know that I got a good chuckle out of typing "2018" with this thread. Here I am making all of these Marvel and other movie threads with "2015", "2016", etc., and then here comes "Aquaman", still two-and-a-half years away...

Anywho, it's officially been announced that James Wan (Saw, Dead Silence, Insidious, The Conjuring, Furious Seven) has been tapped as director!

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...uaman#/slide/1

He's got an impressive resume of horror (and one insane action blockbuster), so it'll be interesting to see how his work translates to dark and depress- I mean, "gritty DC superhero".
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015   #2
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

Default Re: "Aquaman" (2018)

Let me just say that if I see any sign of hook hand Aquaman I am jumping ship immediately. Probably won't happen, but I'm honestly expecting the worst.
Old 06-03-2015   #3
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare Crusher View Post
Let me just say that if I see any sign of hook hand Aquaman I am jumping ship immediately. Probably won't happen, but I'm honestly expecting the worst.
Ah, you mean you're not a fan of "hook-hand GOD-OF-THE-SEA" Aquaman? Well, rest easy knowing that (at least for BvS) he'll have both of his hands.
Old 06-03-2015   #4
GothamRed

I'm so-so on the movie. Aquaman looks more like Namor and based on how he looks in the image may act more like him too, but that's presumptuous at the time being. I'm honestly not sure what to do for a main cast (Mera I guess, will Atlanna be in it or will it take place exclusively after AM taken over the thrown? The Villain, are we starting with Black Manta, his most notable villain? If they do sequels who will he fight, BM again, the Fisherman, Magneto (pronounced Mag-NET-O not Mag-NEAT-O)? Sounds fantastic. What about Garth and Tula? Will they be in it, or will DC continue to assume no one liked the Titans outside of the 2003 animated series and Geoff Johns's run? I guess We'll have Orm, will he be the first villain and make this like Thor? Will the save him? Cause they easily could pull a Thrown of Atlantis and make Orm full Loki with a JL movie. It raise so many questions, and I'm not sure the answers will be fully satisfying. Again presumptuous I know.) Also how much of the movie will take place underwater? Or should I pull another Thor Parallel and just assume most of it will be Aquaman on Land? And I don't know how I feel about an underwater movie, especially one from DC. "You're saying we can make our movie's murkier and have less color...and have an excuse for it? Sign! Us! Up! All our movie will be underwater from now on!" Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I don't see a lot of potential in an Aquaman franchise, again unless they pull a Thor. But maybe they'll surprise me.
Old 06-03-2015   #5
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMirage View Post
Ah, you mean you're not a fan of "hook-hand GOD-OF-THE-SEA" Aquaman? Well, rest easy knowing that (at least for BvS) he'll have both of his hands.
Good to know.

Bit of tract, but I've always found hook hand Aquaman boring. Like they tried way too hard to shake off the image of Aquaman as that idiot who talks to turtles only to replace it with generic grittiness. I prefer Aquaman as either boisterous and fun like Brave and the Bold or the more kingly demeanor he has in some recent material.
Old 06-03-2015   #6
TheVengeanceKnight

Quote:
Good to know.

Bit of tract, but i've always found hook hand Aquaman boring. Like they tried way too hard to shake off the image of aquaman as that idiot who talks to turtles only to replace it with generic grittiness. I prefer Aquaman as either boisterous and fun like brave and the bold or the more kingly demeanor he has in some recent material.
This!!!!!
TheVengeanceKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015   #7
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

^I can definitely see them doing a similar thing to Thor with regards to Orm, but especially with the "half of the movie will be underwater*, half will be on land"-thing.

*And even then, they can swing it so that even though they're technically underwater, they'll be dry. Like the Naboo ocean scene in Phantom Menace. They'll have some underwater fortress that keeps them dry, so although they're on the ocean floor, they won't have bubbles coming out of their mouths or be bobbing up and down in the current.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRed View Post
And I don't know how I feel about an underwater movie, especially one from DC. "You're saying we can make our movie's murkier and have less color...and have an excuse for it? Sign! Us! Up! All our movie will be underwater from now on!" Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I don't see a lot of potential in an Aquaman franchise, again unless they pull a Thor. But maybe they'll surprise me.

See, I think there's a lot of potential...whether or not DC uses that potential will be the kicker.

Quote:
Good to know.
Well, I'm just basing it off of his promotional image is all.

Quote:
Bit of tract, but I've always found hook hand Aquaman boring. Like they tried way too hard to shake off the image of Aquaman as that idiot who talks to turtles only to replace it with generic grittiness. I prefer Aquaman as either boisterous and fun like Brave and the Bold or the more kingly demeanor he has in some recent material.
Fair enough. I just wasn't sure if your "if he has a hook hand I'm jumping ship"-comment was simply a misused expression or if you genuinely felt that way.

Although I'm a fan of hook-hand Aquaman, that's a pretty accurate way to describe it. He kind of exists as the complete antithesis of the 'classic' Aquaman, almost to the point of going overboard with the seriousness.
Old 06-05-2015   #8
UltimateCharm

The movie will lose points with me if we don't see a scene like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBUpKdQ4uIk
How many centuries have I walked this world... caught in the crossfire of human existence? I have walked and walked -- and my eyes have beheld such struggle, such suffering, such unmitigated EVIL... The time will come when I hold the secret in my hands; when I will TRULY KNOW THE SOURCE of humanity's evil... ...and that knowledge will lead me through the Abyss ... to the threshold of GOD. And then the Day of Redemption will arrive-- for this weary world...
UltimateCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015   #9
Autovolt

Quote:
Good to know.

Friggin This.

Hammy Brave and the Bold Aquaman FTW! OUTRAGEOUS!
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016   #10
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Whoop, looks like James Wan may be wandering out of the director's chair.

James might want out.

His interest may be waning. (Admittedly a C- play on words due to the pronunciation differences)

http://comicbook.com/dc/2016/04/30/r...leave-aquaman/