Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Site Helpers > Whose Voice is This?

Whose Voice is This? Heard a voice recently but can't figure out who provided it then post it here and let us help.

Old 12-14-2019   #11
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

Default Re: Knights of the Zodiac (DiC dub)

Quote:
Haha, right on. This was a formative show for me. Saving up to buy the uncut ADV DVDs while watching KOTZ on TV was my first big foray into buying anime on DVD. And come to think of it, while I had been interested in voices before, 2003/2004 was the era when I really got into it, and the fact that this show's cast credits were so useless at the time (barely anyone had any one in the cast had other known credits at the time) probably had a good deal to do with that.
That's so cool. Really glad to see it all come full circle.

Quote:
It was quite the disaster to experience as it aired, though in hindsight I don't know why we were so heated about it, given that we had the uncut option the whole time. And looking back at all that's happened since, I now really get a kick out of the dub and wish oddball kidvid Toronto dubs were more of a thing.
Same, I honestly think TO is super underappreciated as a VO pool compared to even Vancouver. Sailor Moon had problems, yeah, but it's a really important dub and I genuinely think OG Beyblade is probably one of the best "kid show" dubs.

Quote:
No prob. I only really know Smith from his yelling-type characters. In my experience, I think that Toronto being a prelay-heavy, dubbing-light town (especially compared to say even Vancouver) {which is prelay-heavy at times but never dubbing-light in the way Toronto is} has resulted in the VAs generally seeming to be fixated on versatility. I just feel like I hear more of actors spreading their wings in stuff done there than in other places. Perhaps this is due to the fact that the competition also seems high there, with there seeming to be an awful lot of Toronto VAs who only ever pop up sporadically and not quite as many all-stars who work all the time as in some other cities.
TO is an interesting and fun pool. I honestly think, in a lot of ways, TO is most similar to London (UK). Toronto has a really rich theatre scene, heavily British-built historically, and a pretty solid film/TV one too. And with screen, it's mostly either local shows, a lot of them government or art council funded, or American projects where Toronto is the window dressing, so in both of those worlds, it gives TO a very sort of "indie" vibe even when you're working on big stuff. And just in general, a lot of just the DNA of the city, the culture, the population... All of that together really brings you a different view on acting when you approach it.

My vibe is that compared to Vancouver, TO has a lot of VAs who are screen or theatre actors who occasionally do VO that go on top of a solid base pool of "dedicated" VAs. That's something that really defines the London casting roster for me, and it brings a really different perspective on VO, compared to America where "going all-in on VO for VO's sake" is a more well-known career path. Even the attitude regarding versatility is interesting, cause in my experience, why it's definitely valued to be versatile, there's still that sort of studious mentality of understanding the technique and theory of acting behind it. So yeah, highly competitive, but at the same time I think the general attitude regarding acting is closer to the British style of being kind of "humble" or like a job rather than the stereotypical Hollywood glamourous idealized way of thinking. It definitely is my experience, totally anecdotally, that Canada and British actors usually tend to be pretty humble in comparison and I think that overall culture and thought process about acting is a big part of it. I'm probably biased but TO is probably one of the most interesting places for acting for me.

Quote:
Some time ago, I tried to expand the "list-o'-names" cast lists in the credits for Toei's mid-2000s dubs of Air Master and Slam Dunk. They both had official cast lists distributed with their press kits. The part they credit McCord with in Slam Dunk is actually this gruff Ikki voice, so that's actually the only way I'm really familiar wiht him. I was surprised when I heard his clip from that one kid-vid card anime he starred in.
I didn't know Slam Dunk even had a dub, let alone a TO one. Huh.

Quote:
Did Lionett ever show up again? I thought he only showed up for that little bit in the Galaxian Wars then never again. Could just be that that's his only line.
Yeah, in this batch of episodes he fights Jabu right at the start of ep 2. I don't remember if he shows up again.

Quote:
Also, on this same note, I remember finding that Kim Kuhteubl listed Esmerelda on her IMDb or website resume or something.
We might fall into the usual issue where the credits cover the first few episodes but aren't updated past them. That's really sadly common with a lot of Canada shows. Transformers Cybertron and Beyblade are some other dubs that fell into, but I think with Beyblade a Nelvana employee or somebody actually got ahold of their casting documents and put all the info on ANN, which I so, so wish would happen more often.

Last edited by NCZ; 12-14-2019 at 10:03 PM.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020   #12
millicent

Default George J. Horvath's Awesome Thread

Remembered that George J. Horvath's awesome twitter thread about KotZ had some clips:

Perseus Algol
Doctor: Pretty sure that's Drew Coombs.
millicent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020   #13
NCZ

Default Re: George J. Horvath's Awesome Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by millicent View Post
Remembered that George J. Horvath's awesome twitter thread about KotZ had some clips:

Perseus Algol
Doctor: Pretty sure that's Drew Coombs.
Oh shoot, I remember finding this thread and being like, "man, I wish there was more to work with, cause this is beautiful" just a few weeks before the dub showed up on archive.org. I wanted to ID the doctor and the black knight at the very end but couldn't figure them out when making the thread. Not sure about Drew as the former (not that it's impossible, just it's a "hmm, maaaybe??" from me), but he could be the latter?

I can't place Algol right now, it's possible he could be an uncredited actor since we're starting to get in uncharted water after the first batch. He sounds vaguely familiar, I'm just blanking. But shoot, that means this guy actually has more of the other DVDs that weren't uploaded to archive.org?! I think it might be a good idea for us to get in touch with him to dig through some more just for posterity.

Last edited by NCZ; 01-04-2020 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-04-2020   #14
millicent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ View Post
Oh shoot, I remember finding this thread and being like, "man, I wish there was more to work with, cause this is beautiful" just a few weeks before the dub showed up on archive.org. I wanted to ID the doctor and the black knight at the very end but couldn't figure them out when making the thread. Not sure about Drew as the former (not that it's impossible, just it's a "hmm, maaaybe??" from me), but he could be the latter?
I don't know him at all outside of this interview. Could be wrong, but I think it's Coombs doing a "voice crack" voice on purpose.

Quote:
I can't place Algol right now, it's possible he could be an uncredited actor since we're starting to get in uncharted water after the first batch. He sounds vaguely familiar, I'm just blanking.
Yeah, I think the scroll just covers the early episodes, especially with Bill Houston being credited. Speaking of which, I think I may have botched it with Bill Colgate as Lord Nobu. While I don't know him other than the clips you posted, is that not Neil Crone?

Quote:
But shoot, that means this guy actually has more of the other DVDs that weren't uploaded to archive.org?! I think it might be a good idea for us to get in touch with him to dig through some more just for posterity.
Yeah, sadly I think he gave the discs away to someone else (maybe Mike Toole). I recall him wanting to be rid of them and looking for someone to saddle them with.
Old 01-05-2020   #15
NCZ

Quote:
I don't know him at all outside of this interview. Could be wrong, but I think it's Coombs doing a "voice crack" voice on purpose.
No totally, it's definitely not this person's regular voice. Actually I wondered a bit if it was Dan Warry-Smith since the doctor's throatiness reminded me of him. I thought I heard Scott McCord as a random guy in the crowd in an early episode, so I don't know if it's impossible for the main saints to do bit parts, but I get that it may cause hesitation.

For Drew, I basically just know Dante which is the same as his regular voice you can hear in that interview. As far as I can tell I think he's more of a commercial VO and screen guy than animation guy, so Geki alone is already pretty different from him. He actually does mention in the interview that he got some VO gigs specifically thanks to Dante, which I partly wonder is talking about a stint in animation this would line up with. But yeah, we are in unmapped territory here since there's not a lot to compare to.

Quote:
Yeah, I think the scroll just covers the early episodes, especially with Bill Houston being credited. Speaking of which, I think I may have botched it with Bill Colgate as Lord Nobu. While I don't know him other than the clips you posted, is that not Neil Crone?
I think you're right! I'm glad you brought this up, because taking time away from all this to let my brain recharge, and then come back for the VCs, it was really bugging me that someone as prominent as him and clearly credited for the first few episodes supposedly didn't pop up here when everyone else did, so deep down I was wondering if maybe we botched someone. I will also admit that while I was willing to take your word for it, I thought it was a little weird for Bill to do two old masters but Neil get left in the lurch when this could easily be him. Also I'll cop that since we're dealing with three guys here who can easily do this kind of voice (George too, I was like, "shoot, IS that Grandpa??"), I was just like, "I can't dwell on this any more than I already am or I'll go insane". His acting is way less hammy as Nobu than it usually is and I think that's the throwoff (which is probably just the material, Neil is a really comedic guy and Nobu is... not), but the voice definitely sounds right. It's a lot rougher and more gravelly than Bill's, and I can buy that it's Diesel 10 behind it. So I guess we're kind of going full circle into a third opinion here, but that's why it's good to let dust settle a bit. Yup, I'd say this is Neil. Glad we did spot him after all.

Quote:
Yeah, sadly I think he gave the discs away to someone else (maybe Mike Toole). I recall him wanting to be rid of them and looking for someone to saddle them with.
Ha. I don't blame him. I guess the goose hunt continues?

Last edited by NCZ; 01-05-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-05-2020   #16
millicent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ View Post
No totally, it's definitely not this person's regular voice. Actually I wondered a bit if it was Dan Warry-Smith since the doctor's throatiness reminded me of him. I thought I heard Scott McCord as a random guy in the crowd in an early episode, so I don't know if it's impossible for the main saints to do bit parts, but I get that it may cause hesitation.

For Drew, I basically just know Dante which is the same as his regular voice you can hear in that interview. As far as I can tell I think he's more of a commercial VO and screen guy than animation guy, so Geki alone is already pretty different from him. He actually does mention in the interview that he got some VO gigs specifically thanks to Dante, which I partly wonder is talking about a stint in animation this would line up with. But yeah, we are in unmapped territory here since there's not a lot to compare to.
Given the character's size, I suppose it's more just fun to ponder than anything, and I always like any excuse to hear Coombs' Res Dogs story. I also am just chomping at the bit to get more episodes of this. I have in the past considered buying the R1 and R4 discs, so I might do that at some point. Getting really into Toronto lately. Their Slam Dunk and Air Master dubs, though rough around the edges, actually have a lot of great qualities. I feel bad for Hennessey really. Just a hired gun on KotZ, yet his Slam Dunk work is quite good much of the time.

Quote:
I think you're right! I'm glad you brought this up, because taking time away from all this to let my brain recharge, and then come back for the VCs, it was really bugging me that someone as prominent as him and clearly credited for the first few episodes supposedly didn't pop up here, so deep down I was wondering if maybe we botched someone. I will also admit that while I was willing to take your word for it, I thought it was a little weird for Bill to do two old masters but Neil get left in the lurch when this could easily be him. Also I'll cop that since we're dealing with three guys here who can easily do this kind of voice (George too, I was like, "shoot, IS that Grandpa??"), I was just like, "I can't dwell on this any more than I already am or I'll go insane". His acting is way less hammy as Nobu than it usually is and I think that's the throwoff (which is probably just the material, Neil is a really comedic guy and Nobu is... not), but the voice definitely sounds right. It's a lot rougher and more gravelly than Bill's, and I can buy that it's Diesel 10 behind it. So I guess we're kind of going full circle into a third opinion here, but that's why it's good to let dust settle a bit. Yup, I'd say this is Neil. Glad we did spot him after all.
Haha, I had a feeling you were thinking about this too, especially with your familiarity with Crone. I think I have heard Colgate do a very similar voice in Power Stone, but that's the only real evidence in Colgate's favor. Crone seems much more likely.

Quote:
Ha. I don't blame him. I guess the goose hunt continues?
I used to tape the episodes myself off of the SVES airing (any fellow yanks remember SVES?). What I would give to still have them. This was just as torrents were starting, so getting a hold of TV rips was a pain back then. You had to get stuff off of IRC, and I don't think any of the IRC channels actually had anyone ripping the KotZ episodes, so hated was the dub at the time. So I don't think there's even a chance of someone having old TV encodes.

FWIW, both the Bluewater and Harmony Gold dubs of Dragon Ball appeared like they'd never surface online beyond minimal clips. The former has since surfaced minus one episode, and while I wish we would get more, I was flabbergasted when that one brief clip from episode 1 surfaced. You never know, I guess... Someone with VHS/DVD recordings might emerge.
Old 01-08-2020   #17
millicent

Default Stuart Stone Nachi

Just when this dub couldn't get sillier...
Old 01-09-2020   #18
Metabad

Default Re: Stuart Stone Nachi

Quote:
TFW everyone sounds like a surfer dude.

I have a stupid theory that they wanted everyone to sound like the lead singer for Bowling for Soup to have a consist sound with the intro. It's dumb as all get out, but I wouldn't put it past this dub to do something like that at all.
Old 01-09-2020   #19
millicent

Default Re: Stuart Stone Nachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metabad View Post
TFW everyone sounds like a surfer dude.

I have a stupid theory that they wanted everyone to sound like the lead singer for Bowling for Soup to have a consist sound with the intro. It's dumb as all get out, but I wouldn't put it past this dub to do something like that at all.
Haha, could very well be. It's hard to say with shows as over-produced as this one how late that OP was the final opening and when the voices were recorded relative to that. That previous early dub video I mentioned earlier that presumably featured Gabi Epstein's Sienna also featured a hilarious alternate opening... "Seiya!... You got the zodiac power! Seiya!... Power for the hour! Seiya!... You got the pegasus punch!... ... Seiya!... Saint Seiya!..." (really, it used the original title once) and a different musical replacement score. Either way, they definitely wanted to dude-ify as many of the cast as they could. That they didn't with Shiryu and Shun so much is probably more a testament to how much the original animation just precludes it with them in particular.

Also, since I was curious,
Clip of Bill Houston's Lionett Ban

Believe that should be all his dialogue considering the episodes DiC dubbed.