Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Site Helpers > Whose Voice is This?

Whose Voice is This? Heard a voice recently but can't figure out who provided it then post it here and let us help.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2020   #1
whyofbladez
Member
 
whyofbladez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Home for Infinite Losers
Age: 25
Posts: 220
Default Space Strikers

90's French sci-fi animation with bad early 90's CGI sprinkled throughout.

There's been long-standing online miscredits to this series (replicated in this site's entry) that the series cast was an LA-Vancouver co-production. However, this doesn't hold up to further scrutiny. Even worse, things have become even further jumbled online since; having gone to crediting David Coburn as Nemo and Dan Hennessy as Metallic.

The end credits aren't much help, as most of the credits are one-time psuedonym's. But the dub was directed by Tom Wyner and Stuart Rosen; both L.A. directors.

Featuring the Voices of:
Jimmy Flinders (Cam Clarke's usual alias)
Kellie O'Connell
HF Guilford
Les Doolan
Ruth Lazar
Norman Blackmore
Reed Waxman
Harry Pitts
Orville Ketchum (Peter Spellos; this is the name of his character in "Hard to Die" and "Sorority House Massacre II")
Nick Scott

So, I've felt inclined to believe that this was a non-union production, solely based on the credits; but, strangely enough; I'm not too sure because there are a lot of pre-lay actors noticeably present in this.

Episode 1:
Nemo (1:48) - For sure, Cam Clarke. (comparison)
Dana (2:37) - Mary Kay Bergman (comparison). There's something of a confirmation for this; in David Perlmutter's 2018 book titled "The Encyclopedia of American Animated Television Shows", it lists Bergman and Richard Epcar as being voice actors for the series (specific roles unknown) on Page 572. Given that this book doesn't just parrot what erroneous wikipedia and imdb entries say; I feel inclined to believe Perlmutter did some digging.
Admiral Calderon (4:08) - Speaking of Richard Epcar...
Metallic (6:06) - Well, there's no mistaking this; the attribution to Jeff Bennett is correct.
Master Phantom (6:16) - I'm not really too familiar with Brian Cummings; but I think this is attribution is also correct.
Vince (Young Phantom) (7:00) - Steve Bulen
Lieutenant (12:02) - Richard Epcar
Doctor (12:49) - Not sure.
Arresting Officer (13:50) - Not sure
Prison Warden (14:31) - Tom Wyner (comparison)
Gambling Officer 1 (14:50) - Epcar?
Gambling Officer 2 (14:53) - Not sure
Intruder Alert (14:54) - Not sure
Ned (17:49) - Not sure
Selina (17:55) - Not sure
Radar Operator (19:22) - Not sure

All for now. Sort of a quick thread, but I'll come back to it some other time.

Last edited by whyofbladez; 01-15-2020 at 04:12 PM.
whyofbladez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020   #2
drakh
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 122
Default Re: Space Strikers

Are you sure this was a dub? Because it appears to be a Saban co-production, and Saban's dubs at the time were union while their original animation projects like Battletech were non-union. Further Stu Rosen does not appear to have been involved in any dubs, and while there are "ADR Engineers" in the credits, there are also "Dialogue Recordists" and doing ADR after the animation is done to clean up mistakes and add properly timed reactions is hardly uncommon for pre-lay.

Anyway, Rosen's involvement would explain the presence of "pre-lay actors". He was for example working with Jeff Bennett on Phantom 2040 at the time.

(Editing: I missed the start of the credits when I made this post - so Rosen is credited as "Voice Director" and Wyner as "ADR Director". Maybe this was originally a pre-lay project that needed more extensive dubbing work after the fact due to problems with the animation?)

Last edited by drakh; 01-15-2020 at 09:32 AM.
drakh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020   #3
whyofbladez
Member
 
whyofbladez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Home for Infinite Losers
Age: 25
Posts: 220
Default Re: Space Strikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakh View Post
Are you sure this was a dub? Because it appears to be a Saban co-production, and Saban's dubs at the time were union while their original animation projects like Battletech were non-union. Further Stu Rosen does not appear to have been involved in any dubs, and while there are "ADR Engineers" in the credits, there are also "Dialogue Recordists" and doing ADR after the animation is done to clean up mistakes and add properly timed reactions is hardly uncommon for pre-lay.

Anyway, Rosen's involvement would explain the presence of "pre-lay actors". He was for example working with Jeff Bennett on Phantom 2040 at the time.
Not really. Part of why I hate handling co-productions between countries, especially when the cast are primarily dubbing regulars. Rosen being a director I wouldn't call 100% concrete pointing it to being prelay since Tom Wyner is also directing. Doesn't really matter if it is; voice cast is still an uncredited mess.
whyofbladez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020   #4
Kioea
Moderator
 
Kioea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2,117
Default Re: Space Strikers

Just a heads up - the link to "Episode 1" actually takes us to the site page. I think you may have accidentally linked it when you meant to link something else.

P.S. I think it's fair to call this a dub, as there are clearly points when something is being said, yet no one's saying anything. It's more pronounced when the character in question doesn't have a visible mouth.

Last edited by Kioea; 01-15-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Kioea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020   #5
drakh
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 122
Default Re: Space Strikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyofbladez View Post
Not really. Part of why I hate handling co-productions between countries, especially when the cast are primarily dubbing regulars. Rosen being a director I wouldn't call 100% concrete pointing it to being prelay since Tom Wyner is also directing. Doesn't really matter if it is; voice cast is still an uncredited mess.
Heh, I just find the details of the production interesting. If there's any takeaway I would say look at other shows directed by Rosen as well as Saban productions from the mid 90s like Teknoman and Power Rangers for potential cast members. Bettletech might have been useful as well, but as I recall the credits are mostly one-off fake names there as well.
drakh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020   #6
whyofbladez
Member
 
whyofbladez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Home for Infinite Losers
Age: 25
Posts: 220
Default Re: Space Strikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioea View Post
Just a heads up - the link to "Episode 1" actually takes us to the site page. I think you may have accidentally linked it when you meant to link something else.

P.S. I think it's fair to call this a dub, as there are clearly points when something is being said, yet no one's saying anything. It's more pronounced when the character in question doesn't have a visible mouth.
Woops. Thanks for the head up; I should know better than to try and create a post when I'm tired.
whyofbladez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020   #7
Kioea
Moderator
 
Kioea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2,117
Default Re: Space Strikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyofbladez View Post
Woops. Thanks for the head up; I should know better than to try and create a post when I'm tired.
You're welcome. And believe me, I know the feeling.
Kioea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8
Kioea
Moderator
 
Kioea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2,117
Default Re: Space Strikers

I'd like to say that, while I'm not that familiar with LA actors as a whole, I agree with all your statements, having heard all the character-assigned actors elsewhere (Vince definitely sounds like Balzac from Teknoman). There are a couple of things I should mention concerning character names, however. Tom Wyner's character is called Marek (it's mentioned during the operation on Vince), and the "Ned" in Nemo's flashback is actually stated to be his older brother, Drag Land. Having said that, if this is indeed a dub of a French cartoon, then I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was Ned in the original, and they changed it for the US release.
Kioea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.