Support Behind The Voice Actors on Patreon

Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Animation Central > Anime

Anime Discuss Anime Here

Old 11-28-2016   #1
Nightmare Crusher

Default Dragon Ball Super: Bang Zoom Dub Discussion

Alright then, let's dance.

If you didn't know, the Toonami Asia run of Dragon Ball Super has recently been revealed to be featuring a dub produced by Bang Zoom in California.

Here is a preview clip that was recently released.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0rkCj71WcU&t=0s

The Whose Voice is This thread is getting overflow, so I'm bringing it here.

I'm really excited for this. Dragon Ball has a long history of getting multiple dubs and seeing it return to California was an unexpected surprise. If Bang Zoom plays its cards right they could end up with something that can really rival modern Funimation. Really excited to hear what they can bring to the table. Personally I'm most excited for Hit after his disappointing voice in Xenoverse 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa_ahmed View Post
Without any contact with anyone who actually made the show, on a dub made literally only for money, with no reference audio, & often only half-translated scripts, to represent characters often entirely different from the actual story. The dub'll *probably* be enjoyable, but they're definitely keeping the old dub cast largely because nostalgia. I mean, it's not like Toei cares about us at all, esp. considering the fact that they took well over a year for such an insanely popular franchise. Like, do they want money or not?
Where have you been for the past fifteen years or so? They've had reference audio since Budokai 1. Only made for the money? Why do you think dubs get made? Why do you think anime gets made? Toei is more hands off than they probably should be, but we're not dealing with the crap from the early two thousands. Most of the remaining original Funi cast is good now. There's no reason to fix what isn't broken unless you absolutely have to.
Old 11-29-2016   #2
WrightWay
Banned

Default Re: Dragon Ball Super: Bang Zoom Dub Discussion

I'm VERY interested in hearing their choice for King Kai, personally, more than anyone else.

That being said, I think Price makes for a pretty good Hercule/Mr. Satan so far, and whoever does Buu did fairly well, though their delivery is a bit off at times and could use work.
WrightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016   #3
Ichigo341578926

I think that might have been Spike Spencer and Buu.
Ichigo341578926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016   #4
NitroEX

Send a message via Skype™ to NitroEX

So who exactly recorded the preview footage? Will this person be able to also record the show itself?
NitroEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016   #5
Nightmare Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroEX View Post
So who exactly recorded the preview footage? Will this person be able to also record the show itself?
Tooonami Asia. The preview was taken from their twitter.
Old 11-30-2016   #6
Ghosty404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare Crusher View Post
I'm really excited for this. Dragon Ball has a long history of getting multiple dubs and seeing it return to California was an unexpected surprise. If Bang Zoom plays its cards right they could end up with something that can really rival modern Funimation.
Again, it's really sad that Ocean Kai may never be released, and thus won't be in this rivalry. It could've been an all out race than a boxing match..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.
It was deemed to be too awesome.
Ghosty404 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016   #7
huzaifa_ahmed

Quote:
Where have you been for the past fifteen years or so? They've had reference audio since Budokai 1. Only made for the money? Why do you think dubs get made? Why do you think anime gets made? Toei is more hands off than they probably should be, but we're not dealing with the crap from the early two thousands. Most of the remaining original Funi cast is good now. There's no reason to fix what isn't broken unless you absolutely have to.
I'm not sure if we'd have had a woman as Goku or anything like that, but I do think that almost everyone in the FUNi dub is miscast. Drummond sounds far too slimey, McNeil (in the Saban dubs I mean) way too low & growly, & while plenty of the VAs (like Don Brown, Paul Dobson, & Saffron Henderson, & later Chris Rager for Mr. Satan) I would probably have in mind for an "accurate" dub...they were cast the wrong way in the first place. I don't even know how a dub with neither creator input in casting (or translation, which affects casting as well) nor reference audio, will be done. It's literally just picture & the best approximation of the show you can understand from that. That's not how you understand a character.

As for money, yes profit drives industry, but my point is that it goes hand in hand with art, & Toei has frequently allowed their shows (Pretty Cure, Digimon, DB, 4Kids-era OP, Super Sentai, Sailor Moon) to be altered as much as possible for as much profit as possible, problem with that being the show is already made, & you're losing the integrity of the show. The DB dub is largely miscast. We're not going to change that, simply for audience's sake, as what's done is done. But it's still miscast.
huzaifa_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016   #8
Shaun Ince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosty404 View Post
Again, it's really sad that Ocean Kai may never be released, and thus won't be in this rivalry. It could've been an all out race than a boxing match..
It's safe to say Ocean will probably never get a shot at dubbing Super at this rate. Canada is airing the FUNimation dub & Ocean Kai's cancellation is the final nail in the coffin, in terms of Ocean dub Dragonball material. Never to be seen or heard for that matter. Very sad indeed
Shaun Ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016   #9
Shaun Ince

Quote:
Alright then, let's dance.

If you didn't know, the Toonami Asia run of Dragon Ball Super has recently been revealed to be featuring a dub produced by Bang Zoom in California.

Here is a preview clip that was recently released.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0rkCj71WcU&t=0s

The Whose Voice is This thread is getting overflow, so I'm bringing it here.

I'm really excited for this. Dragon Ball has a long history of getting multiple dubs and seeing it return to California was an unexpected surprise. If Bang Zoom plays its cards right they could end up with something that can really rival modern Funimation. Really excited to hear what they can bring to the table. Personally I'm most excited for Hit after his disappointing voice in Xenoverse 2.

I'm actually hoping we get to see Matthew Mercer as Hit. He's done Bang Zoom dubs before. Also he was who I originally had cast for FUNi's dub of the show. But the chances of him appearing in the Toonami Asia dub is pretty good. If not, he at least has to be better than Aaron Roberts disappointing voice for Hit.
Shaun Ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016   #10
Nightmare Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa_ahmed View Post
As for money, yes profit drives industry, but my point is that it goes hand in hand with art, & Toei has frequently allowed their shows (Pretty Cure, Digimon, DB, 4Kids-era OP, Super Sentai, Sailor Moon) to be altered as much as possible for as much profit as possible, problem with that being the show is already made, & you're losing the integrity of the show. The DB dub is largely miscast. We're not going to change that, simply for audience's sake, as what's done is done. But it's still miscast.
By original Funi cast I mean their In-House dub, the one that's dubbing this series.

See, I'm working from an entirely different premise than you are. I don't see the majority of the Funimation cast as miscasts. The few I do see as miscasts also have nothing to do with their Japanese voices, which is the impression I get from you. Like, I found Aaron Roberts as Hit to be miscast, but my reasons for such have literally nothing to do with Kazuhiro Yamaji's performance.