Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Animation Central > Anime

Anime Discuss Anime Here

Old 11-23-2016   #21
WrightWay
Banned

Default Re: Pokemon Generations Shorts - Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torak View Post
At least the animation and voice acting were better this time around. Strange that sometimes it looks unpolished and sometimes it looks great like in this episode. But yeah, spot on again WrightWay
That's definitely true: I just wish we had some actual background for this one, substance aside. If you don't play the games, there is no way someone would understand what's going on in general with a lot of these shorts lol.
WrightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016   #22
Torak

Episode 15 (The King Returns) was released today. Weird how the previous episode was released last wednesday. I guess it didn't take them long for the last one (judging by the 'quality' you can see why).

Anyway, for the last BW saga episode short. It was, to be expected, the best of the BW saga.

I'm really liking the animation for this saga btw, it really captures the feel of the games.
I also liked the portrayal of Ghetsis in this (although Tpci seem to prefer his BW2 version), he does seem like an evil, dishevelled and broken man in this. N's character had a lot of depth in the games, although I don't blame the writers that his character felt lacking in this.
The 'Truthful and Ideal world for people and Pokemon to live in harmony' arc just can't be told in the format of shorts. So he unfortunately suffered a bit.

For voice actors, Patrick Seitz gives a surprisingly good performance for Ghetsis. Some of the best acting in these shorts imo.

Grant George as N... I didn't like it. Not terrible, but his voice just didn't have an N feel to me.
I think he sounded a bit too old, and his emotions was just off. Grant lacks that quiet, protective and tormented texture N has for me.
Now N is a difficult character to play, and its hard to work with material like he had, but it just comes across again as the director casting random big-named voice actors, at least to me.

And once again, the episode Nds with a Cliffhanger... But it isn't so bad this time. The lack of closure actually works a little better here, because as the player we're the ones who defeat Kyurem-White or Black, so the ending is appropriately left open because we fill in the gap. It wasn't like the epic Gym Leader vs Team Plasma battle we would've LOVED TO SEE because we didn't get that in the games either!

So in all, while not a great episode by any means, at least Ghetisis was well realised and the conflict between him and N implied depth without saying much which impressed me.
I actually liked it. But thats just me.

Last edited by Torak; 12-02-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Torak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016   #23
WrightWay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torak View Post
Episode 15 (The King Returns) was released today. Weird how the previous episode was released last wednesday. I guess it didn't take them long for the last one (judging by the 'quality' you can see why).

Anyway, for the last BW saga episode short. It was, to be expected, the best of the BW saga.

I'm really liking the animation for this saga btw, it really captures the feel of the games.
I also liked the portrayal of Ghetsis in this (although Tpci seem to prefer his BW2 version), he does seem like an evil, dishevelled and broken man in this. N's character had a lot of depth in the games, although I don't blame the writers that his character felt lacking in this.
The 'Truthful and Ideal world for people and Pokemon to live in harmony' arc just can't be told in the format of shorts. So he unfortunately suffered a bit.

For voice actors, Patrick Seitz gives a surprisingly good performance for Ghetsis. Some of the best acting in these shorts imo.

Grant George as N... I didn't like it. Not terrible, but his voice just didn't have an N feel to me.
I think he sounded a bit too old, and his emotions was just off. Grant lacks that quiet, protective and tormented texture N has for me.
Now N is a difficult character to play, and its hard to work with material like he had, but it just comes across again as the director casting random big-named voice actors, at least to me.

And once again, the episode Nds with a Cliffhanger... But it isn't so bad this time. The lack of closure actually works a little better here, because as the player we're the ones who defeat Kyurem-White or Black, so the ending is appropriately left open because we fill in the gap. It wasn't like the epic Gym Leader vs Team Plasma battle we would've LOVED TO SEE because we didn't get that in the games either!

So in all, while not a great episode by any means, at least Ghetisis was well realised and the conflict between him and N implied depth without saying much which impressed me.
I actually liked it. But thats just me.
I honestly agree: for some reason, this episode had a lot more effort put into it in terms of animation, effort, and the voice acting, IMO.

Same- I was surprised how good it was, honestly.

Patrick Seitz did a great job as Ghetsis: I think it was much better than what Bill Rogers did in the Anime, but that's just me.

I agree on N: Grant George sounds a bit too old to me as well. His acting is good, though, so that redeems his performance a bit. At least it's better than Tom Wayland was in the BW2 Trailer, though the performance I liked most is actually Nicholas DiMichele's from the Anime for N.

I also liked it, it's not just you: this is easily one of the best episodes of Generations to me, if not the best one.

Last edited by WrightWay; 12-02-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-04-2016   #24
SNaG

Just noticed this thread was a thing! Since I don't wanna drive the thread back by talking about the previous episodes I'll talk about 15.

This was a pretty good episode (probably the best all around) felt very true to N. I really enjoyed Gen V and N; even though I felt B/W kind of ruined whatever good story it had by having Ghetsis turn around at the end and saying "LOL WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!", N had a really good arc and it was portrayed nicely. The short dialogue between N and Ghetsis with N's Farewell playing (one of my favorite non-battle BGMS ever) was fantastic.

The voice acting was pretty good. While at first I wasn't sure if Grant George would be a good N, I think he does a pretty excellent job and is probably gonna be my headcanon voice for N whenever I replay Gen V (which I should do, Black 2 is pretty excellent, but I digress). I also liked Patrick as Ghetsis, but I feel he didn't sound old enough. Maybe it's because I've heard him use similar voices for younger characters? He's got the deranged part for Ghetsis down, though.

Hilbert coming in at the end with Zekrom was a nice touch, I enjoyed that. White 2 (which this seems to be emulating) didn't have that, opting for a new protagonist, but this is a better choice for the short.

Side note, was it always pronounced YOU-nuh-vuh? I hadn't watched the anime, so I always thought it was you-NOH-vuh (since all the preceding regions had a long o rather than a short o). Eye-opening.
SNaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016   #25
WrightWay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNaG View Post

Side note, was it always pronounced YOU-nuh-vuh? I hadn't watched the anime, so I always thought it was you-NOH-vuh (since all the preceding regions had a long o rather than a short o). Eye-opening.
Yes, actually, I had the same exact reaction when I watched the BW dub back in 2010-2013: I always thought it was you-NOH-vuh until I heard YOU-nuh-vuh there, so they got the pronunciation correct on this one.

Last edited by WrightWay; 12-04-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-08-2016   #26
SNaG

The Pokemon Company released some of the Japanese dub (man, that sounds weird) today. I listened to some of it and I personally feel a lot of the casting in that is more on-point than in the English version. There are some good and some very good voices in the English version, but I find several of them to be awkward and unfitting.

Yoshimasa Hosoya is a far better Lance than Ben Diskin IMO.
Old 12-09-2016   #27
WrightWay
Banned

Quote:
The Pokemon Company released some of the Japanese dub (man, that sounds weird) today. I listened to some of it and I personally feel a lot of the casting in that is more on-point than in the English version. There are some good and some very good voices in the English version, but I find several of them to be awkward and unfitting.

Yoshimasa Hosoya is a far better Lance than Ben Diskin IMO.
It's literally Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon all over again in terms of the dub being released before the Original Japanese Version, too ironic.

I agree, though, I've been listening to the 6 episodes available so far, and I strongly prefer Lance, Agatha, Bruno, Eusine, and several others' voices in the Japanese version of Generations so far. I'm more curious if the dialogue in the Original was equally as awkward and eccentric, though, shame we don't have subs. xD.
Old 12-09-2016   #28
SNaG

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightWay View Post
It's literally Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon all over again in terms of the dub being released before the Original Japanese Version, too ironic.

I agree, though, I've been listening to the 6 episodes available so far, and I strongly prefer Lance, Agatha, Bruno, Eusine, and several others' voices in the Japanese version of Generations so far. I'm more curious if the dialogue in the Original was equally as awkward and eccentric, though, shame we don't have subs. xD.
I would've liked to try out the subs too to see that. As long as they were localized, since seeing the Japanese names would be very weird to me.

Also, why did they change Pikachu's voice actress...? It's well established that Ikue Ohtani doesn't voice just Ash's Pikachu. Fumiko Orikasa sounds ridiculously unnatural by Japanese Pokemon standards IMO.
Old 12-09-2016   #29
WrightWay
Banned

Quote:
I would've liked to try out the subs too to see that. As long as they were localized, since seeing the Japanese names would be very weird to me.

Also, why did they change Pikachu's voice actress...? It's well established that Ikue Ohtani doesn't voice just Ash's Pikachu. Fumiko Orikasa sounds ridiculously unnatural by Japanese Pokemon standards IMO.
Agreed.

I know, right? I don't get it, either.
Old 12-09-2016   #30
SNaG

Was Lysandre always this... interesting? Granted, I did play X 3 years ago and the plot is very... forgettable IMO, but Lysandre seemed so much blander in the games. Here they're kinda giving him shades of some of the other villainous teams (not initially negative in the public eye) while playing up the philanthropy.

The Lysandre Diantha scene was weird.

Also, was Malva always a newscaster?