Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Animation Central > Anime

Anime Discuss Anime Here

Old 11-04-2016   #11
WrightWay
Banned

Talking Re: Pokemon Generations Shorts - Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torak View Post
Pretty much my thoughts on it as well. I did like a few spots of attention to detail here, like the red chain around Dialga and Palkia, the soundtrack they used particularly for Giratina's reveal was pretty cool, and the Distortion World looks perfect! Just like it was in Platinum.

The voice acting was mostly fine, although I thought the actor choices were a bit questionable. As an avid fan of Cynthia, I thought her take was a little disappointing. I mean the actor was ok, but Michelle Ruff was Gabby two shorts ago and I think she would've made a great choice for Cynthia imo. Mars was just ok. Saturn's acting was good, though I would've preferred him sounding a bit older. Jupiter sounded good, as did Cyrus himself, though his delivery was sometimes off and was a bit too raspy at points.

But yeah. It was fine like you said. I honestly wish it was about Giratina in the Distortion world, with maybe Cynthia tracking Cyrus down. There we would've got more into Cyrus' backstory of wanting to create his world without strife. That would've been pretty cool.
Agreed word for word with your first paragraph.

Yeah, Cynthia's VA wasn't too fitting for the part, I had the same impression.

Agreed again, I didn't like Mars' voice in the Anime (Lisa Ortiz recycling that one voice she uses for these sorts of characters) & I'm not really that impressed with her Generations one, either- it's a draw for me there.

Felt the exact same on Saturn's voice: he sounded too young, but was good.

Jupiter sounded too young to me in both the Anime & Generations, enough said there, but at least it's listenable.

You do have a point on Sorich's Cyrus there- his delivery was a bit inconsistent, but I thought he was good.

All in all, mostly agreed with you!

Last edited by WrightWay; 11-04-2016 at 06:01 PM.
WrightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016   #12
Torak

Default Re: Pokemon Generations Shorts - Thoughts

So. Episode 12, The Magma Stone... that just happened.

In all seriousness, there's really not much to talk about. Heatran gets put back in the Magma Stone to avoid catastrophe, sure. But the games already told me that, and the anime, and did it ten times better.

I want to be able to talk about these episodes seeing as how I invest my time into Pokemon, but The Pokemon Company International don't seem to want me to talk about it. Why?
Because NOTHING HAPPENS.

So what I'll do is, I'll just sum up my favourite moments of the episode and least favourite.

Pros:
-Keiji Tang's Looker performance
-Claydol levitating the rocks for Buck to jump on

Cons:
-Buck saying 'dude' all the time
-The moment when Looker takes out Charon... what?!

So there it is. I can't call this the worst episode. The animation was better here than in episode 4. But a pretty weak episode.

Worst Sinnoh episode, to the worst episodes in one region in the shorts, in my favourite region no less. How disappointing.

Last edited by Torak; 11-11-2016 at 12:34 PM.
Torak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016   #13
WrightWay
Banned

Quote:
So. Episode 12, The Magma Stone... that just happened.

In all seriousness, there's really not much to talk about. Heatran gets put back in the Magma Stone to avoid catastrophe, sure. But the games already told me that, and the anime, and did it ten times better.

I want to be able to talk about these episodes seeing as how I invest my time into Pokemon, but The Pokemon Company International don't seem to want me to talk about it. Why?
Because NOTHING HAPPENS.

So what I'll do is, I'll just sum up my favourite moments of the episode and least favourite.

Pros:
-Keiji Tang's Looker performance
-Claydol levitating the rocks for Buck to jump on

Cons:
-Buck saying 'dude' all the time
-The moment when Looker takes out Charon... what?!

So there it is. I can't call this the worst episode. The animation was better here than in episode 4. But a pretty weak episode.

Worst Sinnoh episode, to the worst episodes in one region in the shorts, in my favourite region no less. How disappointing.
What's there to say, other than, I once again mostly agree with you: I really can't describe much else because like you said...there's nothing else to really talk about. I found the part where Looker's Croagunk just came out of nowhere and attacked pretty random & funny at the same time, though.

I seriously feel like Looker is literally the most fleshed out character in all of Generations and that's...really not saying much, is it? Kaiji Tang's performance continues to be one of the few standouts from the dub, so I guess there's that going for it, though.

Whoever voiced Charon did a generic evil scientist voice: it was okay, but nothing special, really.

Buck's VA...well, it's not hard to outdo Bryan Tyler in my book, but still, something was pretty off about his performance at times, like he was trying a bit too hard at points.

I really got annoyed by how much Buck said "Awesome" as well: the "Dude" part was annoying, but that didn't help at all.

You've summed it up pretty well with that final statement, though, I'd have to agree this is easily the weakest episode of the Sinnoh Arc of Generations- here's hoping Unova's is better, but I'm not holding my breath considering how Hoenn & this were handled.

Last edited by WrightWay; 11-11-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-11-2016   #14
Torak

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightWay View Post
I'd have to agree this is easily the weakest episode of the Sinnoh Arc of Generations- here's hoping Unova's is better, but I'm not holding my breath considering how Hoenn & this were handled.
I wasn't particularly angry per say, just extremely disappointed. My wording came out wrong there.

Having invested a lot of time into the Sinnoh games with the lore, battles and species of Pokemon, I was just disappointed that Tpci didn't really use the depth of the lore for their shorts, how the Pokemon world was born, which is what made Sinnoh stand out for me. Battles were an exception because they were just shorts and didn't have time to craft battles of epic proportion. They just decided to show the bare bones. At least in Johto they sort of added something when Looker talks to Silver about what happened with him and Giovanni. But there was virtually nothing new. Though to be fair, Kanto and Hoenn didn't have much going on either.

Yeah, let's hope the Unova saga will be better.
Old 11-11-2016   #15
WrightWay
Banned

Thumbs up Re: Pokemon Generations Shorts - Thoughts

Quote:
I wasn't particularly angry per say, just extremely disappointed. My wording came out wrong there.

Having invested a lot of time into the Sinnoh games with the lore, battles and species of Pokemon, I was just disappointed that Tpci didn't really use the depth of the lore for their shorts, how the Pokemon world was born, which is what made Sinnoh stand out for me. Battles were an exception because they were just shorts and didn't have time to craft battles of epic proportion. They just decided to show the bare bones. At least in Johto they sort of added something when Looker talks to Silver about what happened with him and Giovanni. But there was virtually nothing new. Though to be fair, Kanto and Hoenn didn't have much going on either.

Yeah, let's hope the Unova saga will be better.
No problem, it's okay: I'm more disappointed than angry as well, so I understand how you feel.

Pretty much, yeah, I like how they handled Episode 5 like you've mentioned. That's true.

It should be fun to see how they handle Ghetsis and Team Plasma, at any rate.
Old 11-18-2016   #16
WrightWay
Banned

Okay, so Episode 13: The Uprising is...OK. Not great, not good...but not bad, either.

It starts out with basically these sages loyal to Team Plasma like in the games preaching about what they think is right and noble about their cause (even though it's not), then Iris being cornered, until the remainder of gym leaders in the region come along and help stick up for Iris & her cause, and then they are about to collide and...

CUT...nothing, not shown, no resolution, so that was...underwhelming?

As for their voices:

Each of the sages has a different stock old man voice, so they fit, I suppose...but none of them get enough lines to leave any notable impact on the viewer so forgettable. The one who said "You! You're Driftveil's..." sounds like Steve Kramer a bit, though.

Iris is similar: her voice is okay, but she gets little to say. Pretty forgettable.

Clay's voice is actually kind of better than his Anime voice- sounds considerably more natural & less raspy.

Lenora actually sounded better in the Anime: her voice here is just...bland...really bland.

Elesa sounds a bit too seductive...not the voice I'd pictured for her...but then again, neither her BW2 voice nor her Anime voice did it for me, either, so...meh?

I feel Burgh had a good voice in both the Anime & Generations, so no problems with him. Props to Chris Niosi aka Kirbopher here.

Brycen just grunts and groans, so yeah...uh, I have no opinion? XD.

Drayden sounds pretty cool: his voice fit him well. I prefer this VA over Mike Pollock in the Anime, myself.

The guy who says "You shall not interfere with Team Plasma OR our king!" is hammily overacting, and some think it's Dan Green...which I would say I do hear a bit of in this performance, but isn't Dan a NYC based talent? I think it could be Travis Willingham since he's more LA based and Dan & him are pretty close vocal matches for each other, but still...no idea, honestly.

^EDIT: Turns out it's Patrick Seitz, so thanks to Nightmare Crusher for letting me know. Typical YouTube comments for you...never trust them.^

A step up from Episode 12, though, acceptable and pretty cool at times...but the fact there is no resolution to it all and we got only a few lines from a lot of the Gym Leaders sours it a bit for me.

(EDIT: Forgot Skyla, but does someone have a cold and a country accent or what? Not like her Anime voice was great since it was overly bubbly & the VA couldn't laugh well (pretty obvious that was Sarah Natochenny who did it there), but this was just as unfitting, IMO.)

Last edited by WrightWay; 11-18-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-18-2016   #17
Torak

Quote:
Episode 13: The Uprising is...OK. Not great, not good...but not bad, either.

Yeah, couldn't have put it better really. Nice to see you're on point WrightWay.
Because really, like the last episode, not much to say for me.

The word "OK" is pretty much everything I have to say about the episode (with the exception of some voice castings).

The animation? Ok. The music? Ok. The story? Ok. The visuals? Ok. The voice acting... more or less, ok.

Some of the castings for the Gym Leaders were surprisingly memorable.
Michael McConnohie and Chris Niosi were the standout takes for me and can still remember them the most. The problem is that because they're only shorts, the voice actors really don't have the time to leave an impact on their role, ultimately making them more forgettable.

Michael and Chris were the best cast and directed in this episode imo, so they were exceptions.

But once again, all Tpci are doing is just re-hashing events from the games in animation form without the real substance in them. I'll delve into this point more once the shorts are over, but for now let's see if they actually do something with the rest of them.

Quote:
Iris being cornered, until the remainder of gym leaders in the region come along and help stick up for Iris & her cause, and then they are about to collide and...

CUT...nothing, not shown, no resolution, so that was...underwhelming?
Completely agree. What a waste of an ending. Pretty much proves my point.

Last edited by Torak; 11-18-2016 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-18-2016   #18
WrightWay
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, couldn't have put it better really. Nice to see you're on point WrightWay.

But once again, all Tpci are doing is just re-hashing events from the games in animation form without the real substance in them. I'll delve into this point more once the shorts are over, but for now let's see if they actually do something with the rest of them.
Thanks! I also agree with most of what you have said as usual above, but especially this point in particular I can't stress enough- that's still word for word how I feel about Generations in general thus far.
Old 11-23-2016   #19
WrightWay
Banned

Episode 14: The Frozen World is best described as trying way too hard to be epic despite having little to no background for what's going on and, as usual, just taking a moment from the games attempting to make it look cooler or something.

I would say more but it's just 4:07 of that...pretty boring, honestly. It's cool, but that's about all it has going for it: Mr. Erholtz and Mr. Staley were in this one, apparently, as some characters, so I guess that's something. If you're looking for something with some degree of substance or character development, this episode is definitely not for you, though- even the previous one came closer to that.

Drayden at least gets to show up again, however, so I suppose that's something?
Old 11-23-2016   #20
Torak

At least the animation and voice acting were better this time around. Strange that sometimes it looks unpolished and sometimes it looks great like in this episode. But yeah, spot on again WrightWay