Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > General Topics > General Chat

General Chat Introduce yourself or just talk about something not related to our site topics here.

Old 02-17-2013   #1
DVitamin

Angry A new member, a disgruntled VA fan

Hello Everyone!

I'm joining because I want to look into voice acting. I'm my own personal critic for all the anime and games I play.

I'm also a subtitle fan.

It used to be because I love to hear the material from the original source. No cuts, no crazy script cutting, no censoring. As time passed, I would start to listen to both versions of the anime I would watch. I had started to realize that I was discriminating against english voice actors. They work hard and they do what they love and I should give them a chance. I got my start on anime because of English voice actors in the past.

However, I also found that as I started to compare - inflections, delivery, emotion - I started to become angry. There were some that were really good! Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z had treated me well. Before them however, I watched Barefoot Gen, which I loved. Go Nagai's Devilman wasn't bad at all! Sailor Moon was really good - actually so good that there were some areas that actually made me tear up! Ronin Warriors was awesome. Akira was great! Just the way each voice actor got into their characters, got into their scripts, wanted to *be that person* that they were acting... that's what got me. These were memorable. Writing this list was refreshing.

Then I got a few bad ones - ones that should never have had bad voice acting. Guin Saga (which I just finished and could only watch in English on Netflix - had some really CRINGE worthy lines). When there's more I can remember in the immediate future, I'll definitely write more about them. However, my goal is to change my mind on dub. Continue to open my mind on good dub and justly call out what I'd consider "bad dub".

It's my understanding that a lot of issues with moving to dub can deal with bad translation, bad scripting, bad directing, poor directing, or maybe even the actor not really into the role. It could also be bad source material. Whatever the case, I almost NEVER see this issue with English produced/sourced animation or video games. If someone can give me an example of that, I'd like to know just as comparison and contrast.

Hopefully this forum will allow me to discuss that. I may focus mainly on JP-->ENG because that's what I'm concerned with.

Thanks all,
Your miseducated, jaded, and misguided subbing fan,

DVitamin
DVitamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013   #2
Foxwolf
Web Admin

Default Re: A new member, a disgruntled VA fan

Hey DVitamin. Welcome to the site and thanks for the analysis of your experience with dubbed anime. It's always good to hear reasons why people like/dislike the different voice acting out there.
Old 02-17-2013   #3
Blair

Here's a topic I posted two months ago that might interest you: 10 Awesome Games With Terrible Voice Acting

Welcome to the site!

"All your base are belong to us"
Old 02-17-2013   #4
DVitamin

Thanks FoxWolf for the warm welcome.

Blair, I'll take a look at that link now, thanks!
Old 02-17-2013   #5
DVitamin

Excellent article, cringe-worthy as well

Tags
anime, disgruntled, new guy, newbie