Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Site Helpers > Whose Voice is This?

Whose Voice is This? Heard a voice recently but can't figure out who provided it then post it here and let us help.

Old 08-11-2019   #1
millicent

Default Hunter x Hunter '99

Coming up on the 10 year anniversary of the complete release of the dub of Hunter x Hunter '99 (the third volume [of four] streeted exactly ten years ago today), and while I was always happy that the abysmal cast credits (the main four, Hisoka, and Mito [some of these actors also played major supporting parts {so they were at least technically in the credits for those}]) were mostly bested, there still are some unidentifieds and other things I've always been wanting to bring up (need to make some clips, but I figured I'd make the thread first)...

1. Victor Atelevich as Illumi (and well... the other one [by default]) - Has anyone ever seen anything from Victor on this one? Because I am the one who originated this, and while it does still sound plausible enough, this has never sat right with me... Even ten years ago, it always seemed like I was going too much by "I wanna identify this one real bad, so I'll assume it's a regular altering their voice considerably" when it just being someone new (for the time) was if anything more likely. Still could totally be right, but I want to bring it back under scrutiny nevertheless.

2. Buhara - Never identified, and the actor never popped up in anything pre-HxH but enough new shows (with good cast credits) have gone through Bluewater in the ensuing years that the actor may have popped up for a small part in Cardfight Vanguard or something. The only remote lead I ever had was the fact that at least one incidental role was clearly played by the same actor--using the same, unique voice--possibly confirming that the voice was more natural and less affected... It was hard to tell if the voice actor was really straining to sound so... Buhara-esque (for lack of a better way to put it) or just sounded like that anyway.

3. Zebro - Never identified, and the actor never showed up in anything pre-HxH.

4. Seaquant - Never identified, and the actor never showed up in anything pre-HxH.

5. Jesse Gervais has listed Hunter x Hunter on his resumes before. While I don't have clips of any of the above to compare it against, just my memory alone tells me that his voice doesn't match any of the above characters. Think he was just a part of the walla group.

Last edited by millicent; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:57 PM.
millicent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019   #2
Nightmare Crusher

Default Re: Hunter x Hunter '99

What a weird coincidence. I had just watched this dub recently.

I can't help too much in regards to most of this, but if it helps any I seem to recall Gittarackur's very first lines sounding more noticeably like his standard voice before changing into how he would sound for the rest of the series. Maybe start from there?
Old 08-11-2019   #3
Metabad

One actor I was wondering about in particular was Richard Meen. He only seems to have two roles listed here, and his acting as Chrollo sounds way too good to be just some random guy who only acted twice and that's it.

I'm wondering if he's a pseudonym for someone else like Paul Hunter was for Ryan Luhning, but I'm not really sure where to even begin looking.
Old 08-11-2019   #4
millicent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare Crusher View Post
What a weird coincidence. I had just watched this dub recently.
Nice. That might help things a little.

Quote:
I can't help too much in regards to most of this, but if it helps any I seem to recall Gittarackur's very first lines sounding more noticeably like his standard voice before changing into how he would sound for the rest of the series. Maybe start from there?
Thanks for the Intel. It's been a while, but I seem to recall that especially during the Hunter Exam the supporting rivals, often heard for just a line or two (or just grunts) before becoming more important later (Geretta, Bodoro, etc.) seemed like they might have had temps for their first, barely audible appearances, so it being a Fake Shemp Gittarackur is always possible.
Old 08-11-2019   #5
millicent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metabad View Post
One actor I was wondering about in particular was Richard Meen. He only seems to have two roles listed here, and his acting as Chrollo sounds way too good to be just some random guy who only acted twice and that's it.
I had him mispegged as Frank Zotter for a long time before Meen finally popped up in Deltora Quest. Deltora was a real Rosetta Stone for HxH, slowly allowing me to fill in the holes for the latter.

Quote:
I'm wondering if he's a pseudonym for someone else like Paul Hunter was for Ryan Luhning, but I'm not really sure where to even begin looking.
I certainly agree that he was way too good to just disappear on us, but I distinctly recall finding info on him being in an Alberta play or somesuch. Just one of those sad flash-in-the-pan VAs
Old 08-11-2019   #6
Metabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by millicent View Post
I had him mispegged as Frank Zotter for a long time before Meen finally popped up in Deltora Quest. Deltora was a real Rosetta Stone for HxH, slowly allowing me to fill in the holes for the latter.

I certainly agree that he was way too good to just disappear on us, but I distinctly recall finding info on him being in an Alberta play or somesuch. Just one of those sad flash-in-the-pan VAs
Ahh okay, if he was primarily a stage actor then that definitely makes sense as to why he delivered such a good performance but didn't have very many roles, especially if he wanted to focus on other stuff. Guess it's like another Jay Goede situation. I do hope he's at least still getting work otherwise.

I'll probably have to add Deltora Quest on my watch list at some point if I can find it anywhere.
Old 08-11-2019   #7
millicent

Quote:
Ahh okay, if he was primarily a stage actor then that definitely makes sense as to why he delivered such a good performance but didn't have very many roles, especially if he wanted to focus on other stuff. Guess it's like another Jay Goede situation. I do hope he's at least still getting work otherwise.
Yeah, I was trying to remember the Mewtwo guy's name offhand to use him as a comparison.

Quote:
I'll probably have to add Deltora Quest on my watch list at some point if I can find it anywhere.
It got roasted quite a bit, but I generally always liked the dub FWIW.
Old 08-12-2019   #8
Cone_anne

Quote:
If it helps, Iím certain thereís someone on YouTube whoís uploaded the entire show dubbed on there. Though Iím surprised anyone outside Australia or Japan has even heard of this show, haha.
Cone_anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019   #9
IMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cone_anne View Post
If it helps, Iím certain thereís someone on YouTube whoís uploaded the entire show dubbed on there. Though Iím surprised anyone outside Australia or Japan has even heard of this show, haha.
The books were pretty popular when I was a kid and I live in Canada. The anime also ran on U.S. TV.

The dub can officially be streamed for free on Tubi in the United States.
IMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019   #10
Metabad

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3492294/

My ABSOLUTE WORST ENEMY SNaG (whom I have added to my Ignore List) managed to find an IMDb page for a guy named Richard Meen, who also had a demo reel: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3492294/...?ref_=nm_ov_vi

I'm not really sure if it's the same guy though since this guy's voice seems a bit deeper and raspier, whereas Chrollo's voice was a lot lighter and smoother. Both seem like their respective natural voices as opposed to them putting on a voice. On the other hand, I'm not sure how common a name like Richard Meen would be.

Last edited by Metabad; 08-12-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Metabad is offline   Reply With Quote