Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > TV Discussion

TV Discussion Chat about your favorite shows and series here.

Old 09-13-2014   #1
virtual revenger

Default Guardians of the Galaxy

Are the rumors true?
virtual revenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014   #2
Polyester Funk

Default Re: New Guardians of the Galaxy series

In the Avengers Assemble boards there is a link which says that the series hasn't been greenlit despite the rumors. It's just something that they are working on/toying with.
Polyester Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014   #3
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

I don't doubt that it's only a matter of time before a GotG show becomes a reality. We've been inundated with GotG media in the past year-and-a-half, and I'm sure a series based solely on the Guardians would sell like hotcakes.

They've pretty much already established their core voice cast ('cept for RR, because he's got some split personality issues ) that they would use, have sprinkled in just enough GotG in other Marvel media, and by their very nature ("space-travelling team of galactic heroes who argue and stuff") the Guardians are an awesome idea to translate to a series.

It wouldn't surprise me if we got official word of 'yay or nay' by the end of the year, and then even a possible airdate of late 2015 or early 2016.
Old 09-14-2014   #4
SupremeTarantulas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMirage View Post
I don't doubt that it's only a matter of time before a GotG show becomes a reality. We've been inundated with GotG media in the past year-and-a-half, and I'm sure a series based solely on the Guardians would sell like hotcakes.

They've pretty much already established their core voice cast ('cept for RR, because he's got some split personality issues ) that they would use, have sprinkled in just enough GotG in other Marvel media, and by their very nature ("space-travelling team of galactic heroes who argue and stuff") the Guardians are an awesome idea to translate to a series.

It wouldn't surprise me if we got official word of 'yay or nay' by the end of the year, and then even a possible airdate of late 2015 or early 2016.
With the popularity of the team in recent years because of the MCU, it seems pretty likely. The main reason EMH or AA exists was because of the MCU, so this is more likely than a Fantastic Four cartoon, since we've seen almost nothing of the team as a whole, and nothing to promote that idea.
SupremeTarantulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014   #5
Polyester Funk

A GOTG series is probably coming considering how much they've been seen lately. As for that article I mentioned, well, maybe word got out before it was supposed to and they had to do a little backtracking.
Old 10-10-2014   #6
TheLemsterPju

Confirmed. It will air in 2015.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=56184
Quote:
Confirming persistent rumors, The New York Times reports Marvel's "Guardians of the Galaxy" will debut next year as an animated series airing on Disney XD.

Unsurprisingly, the series will feature characters from the blockbuster film, which has grossed $324 million domestically since its Aug. 1 premiere: Rocket Raccoon, Groot, Star-Lord, Gamora and Drax. Disney wouldn't say whether the movie's stars will be involved.

Footage of a "Guardians" cartoon was shown in July at Comic-Con International, sparking numerous reports that an animated series was heading to Disney XD. However, Marvel Animation was quick to dismiss this claims, with Vice President of Current Animation Stephen Wacker telling CBR News, ">We definitively did not announce a 'GOTG' animated series. We just showed some test footage that one of our animators (Leo Riley) was working on."

However, now? It is announced, with Wacker telling The Times the producers will attempt to replicate the hit film's offbeat humor while continuing its plot. To that end, Thanos will have a prominent role in the series.

He said the hope is that "Guardians" reflects "Phase 2" of Marvel Animation, which already produces "Ultimate Spider-Man," "Avengers Assemble" and "Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H." for Disney XD.

“We’ve learned what works on TV and what doesn’t," Wacker told the newspaper, explaining that one lesson is “not to underestimate the audience. "You can’t be afraid to go deeper, to explore stories and characters with some depth. This audience may be young, but it can spot a stinker a mile away.”

Production has begun on "Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy," an upcoming animated-television series for Disney XD, featuring the hugely popular characters introduced in the record-breaking Marvel Studios film of the same name. The announcement was made today by Jeph Loeb, Marvel's Head of Television, at New York Comic-Con. Produced by Marvel Television, the series stars Peter Quill as Star-Lord, the brash adventurer who, to save the universe from its greatest threats, joins forces with a quartet of disparate misfits – fan-favorite Rocket Raccoon, a tree-like humanoid named Groot, the enigmatic, expert fighter Gamora and the rough-edged warrior Drax the Destroyer. The series will premiere in 2015 on the Marvel Universe programming block on Disney XD.

"The movie and franchise quickly became a worldwide phenomenon. We're looking forward to working with the great team at Marvel Television to deliver an engaging animated series that fans can enjoy each week," said Marc Buhaj, Senior Vice President, Programming and General Manager, Disney XD.

"This is a very exciting time for the Marvel Animation Studio as we get to explore the cosmic side of the Marvel Universe by developing the first-ever 'Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy' animated series," said Jeph Loeb, Head of Marvel Television. "After starring in the biggest movie of 2014, everyone wants more of Star-Lord and his crew – now they'll get it."

Produced by Marvel Animation, the series' award-winning creative team includes executive producers Alan Fine ("Marvel's The Avengers," "Iron Man," "Thor"), Dan Buckley ("Marvel's Avengers Assemble," "Marvel’s Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H."), Joe Quesada ("Marvel's Avengers Assemble") and Jeph Loeb ("Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."); co-executive producers Stan Lee ("Spider-Man"), Eric Radomski ("Spawn," "Marvel's Avengers Assemble"), Cort Lane ("Marvel’s Ultimate Spider-Man") and Stephen Wacker ("Marvel's Avengers Assemble"); supervising producers Marty Isenberg ("Kaijudo: Rise of the Duel Masters") and Harrison Wilcox ("Marvel's Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H."); consulting producer Steven Melching ("Marvel's Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H."); and supervising director Leo Riley ("TRON: Uprising").

With the success of its recent theatrical release, Guardians of the Galaxy has joined the Avengers and Spider-Man as one of Marvel's most prominent franchises. Premiering in August 2014, Marvel's "Guardians of the Galaxy" debuted to rave reviews and a $94 million opening weekend – the largest August opening in North American history. The film has become the most successful domestic release of 2014, topping the box office for four weeks since its release.
Old 10-10-2014   #7
Polyester Funk

Well, I figured it'd be sooner rather than later that this happened. The GOTG were in a huge blockbuster movie not to mention they have been featured in all of the other Marvel toons so far. A testing of the waters if you will. I don't know if you listened to Skeletonking's interview with Trevor Devall, but in it he says that he's working on something with Marvel that he couldn't talk about yet. I have to wonder if this is it. He did play Rocket Raccoon already and it's quite likely that he will again. I thought he was good, I hope they go with him over Seth Green. Didn't much care for his Rocket. He's in so much stuff as it is I'm not he would have the time to do another series.

I also wonder if this new series will be connected to the already established Marvel toons. It would seem likely that it will be since they've had the Guardians on the other programs. Why start from scratch?
Old 10-11-2014   #8
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

I think it'd be cool if the start of the series was kind of an 'origin' story. I'm tired of origin stories in film, but seeing as how AA and SMASH (and even USM, kind of) started in medias res, getting an origin story for Guardians (if it's set in the same world as the current string of Marvel Animation), would be cool. Think about it.

Episode 1: Episode focused on Peter Quill.
Episode 2: Gamora's story. Ends with Peter Quill meeting her.
Episode 3: Rocket's story. Get some insight into his character. Ends with Peter and Gamora showing up to recruit him.
Episode 4: Drax's story. All about Drax, ends with Peter, Gamora and Rocket showing up.
Episode 5: Groot's story. I think we'd all like to see more of Groot and his origins. Ends with the four showing up to recruit Groot.

Then the sixth episode can be the start of the whole "team"-thing.

It'd be awesome if Devall was Rocket. Seeing an Ocean VA in a main role for an American series like this would be great. But it also wouldn't surprise me if they went with Nolan. He's the most "Bradley Cooper-sounding" of Billy, Seth and Trevor, and we all know how Marvel Animation is with trying to be like the MCU...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyester Funk View Post
I also wonder if this new series will be connected to the already established Marvel toons. It would seem likely that it will be since they've had the Guardians on the other programs. Why start from scratch?
Strong feelings that it'll definitely be connected to USM/AA/SMASH. Having the GotG appear in all three series is, just like you said, PF, 'testing the waters'.

But looking at the art style of that poster and animation in the test footage, it seems like they might be trying to get away from the USM/AA/SMASH style. So, perhaps that means this new GotG series will be its own thing? Doubtful, but I can hope. It's just test footage, so the final product may not even look as cool and stylized as that, and they may just go back to the tried-and-true designs of USM/AA/SMASH. Plus, they seem to have changed the designs to even more closely resemble the MCU. So all of the Guardians look different than how they've been shown in USM/AA/SMASH. Maybe an indication of it not connecting? Or just their attempts to be all HEY GUISE IT LOOKS MORE LIKE THE MOVIE NOW!

I mean, I'll gladly be wrong about both connecting to USM/AA/SMASH and the animation style. But so far, Marvel Animation hasn't given me much reason to suspect that they'll break the mold anytime soon.
Old 10-11-2014   #9
Autovolt

I think its very possible that Trevor Devall is voicing Rocket Racoon in this series.

Honestly my feelings towards this is very mixed.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014   #10
The Doctor

Hopefully Wacker's comment about learning their mistakes from previous shows isn't just PR talk and they really are starting to take their audience more seriously.
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote