Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Site Helpers > Report Mistakes

Report Mistakes Report all errors here so we can fix them right away!

Old 10-19-2016   #1
NitroEX

Default Death Note - Steve Mason Character

I was just listening to some clips on John Novak's page and noticed the Steve Mason character doesn't sound like him, I would say it sounds a lot closer to Michael Dobson's voice.

Just thought I'd point this out.
NitroEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016   #2
CatsTuxedo

Default Re: Death Note - Steve Mason Character

I used to have the same thought until I heard Novak's Ship Captain character in Black Lagoon, so I'm pretty convinced it's still Novak.
CatsTuxedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016   #3
NitroEX

I think I know where the confusion is coming from. The beginning of the clip is definitely Dobson (for reasons I'll explain below) however the second half of the clip switches to a noticably different voice which does indeed sound closer to Novak. I'm not sure if there was a recast of that character along the way or if someone made a mistake when archiving the audio but after listening to it multiple times I'm almost certain it's two different voices.

As for why I think it's Dobson in the first half; Dobson is not only capable of the same type of low pitch and gravel displayed in the clip (which I will provide examples to below) but, more importantly than that, the rhythm and speaking style he uses sounds uncharacteristic of Novak. You can hear this most when he says the words "right now", "dead", "decided" and "calling off", all of which have a slight accent which Novak does not have, but which Dobson does.

I'll link two Dobson clips below which I think display a similar voice to the one used for Steve Mason (in the first half of the clip). Have a listen to both and compare them to the Steve Mason one, you should hopefully hear the similarities.

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/...onel-Franklin/

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/...-Zero/Dr-Laon/

As for the second half, I would agree that that is Novak. I'm not sure if or why they reshuffled the role though. Like I said, maybe it was a mistake.

Last edited by NitroEX; 10-19-2016 at 01:56 AM.
NitroEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016   #4
CatsTuxedo

I can only guess that since the character only had one scene in the series' first part, they didn't see the need to give him his own VA and just got someone who happened to be in the recording studio for another character. Course, that would change with the second half. That's the most sense I can make of the situation, at least.
CatsTuxedo is offline   Reply With Quote