Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > TV Discussion

TV Discussion Chat about your favorite shows and series here.

Old 11-01-2014   #31
Polyester Funk

Default Re: Ben 10 Omniverse

I talked about "Breakpoint" already so now I'll talk about the others:

"The Color of Monkey": it was nice to see Rojo again and Jennifer Hale was back which was cool to hear. The idea of Tiffin flavored ice cream is kinda strange to me. "Let's eat something that tastes like babies." Well, we on Earth can eat some strange things so maybe it's not that weird.

"Vreedlemania" was sorta fun. It was interesting getting to see other members of the family. And they are all just as dumb. Even in alien hillbilly families you get a skinny husband and fat wife. Rook having a thing for the Vreedle daughter was OK.

"It's a Mad, Mad, Mad Ben World" was rather good. Ben 23 can be a little annoying, but I like some of the silly names he gives his aliens. Ben Prime tells him to dial up Nanomech and Ben 23 says "Oh, you mean Teeny Weeny." Ben Prime: "Do I even need to tell you that's a dumb name?" Other names like Dino Mighty, Brain Frog and Freeze Ghost. I also liked how Mad Ben's aliens still had on his spikey armor. I like Mark as Maltruant, yet the effects on his voice make it a little hard for me to always understand him.
Polyester Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014   #32
Music Meister
Top Contributor

Hedorium to Eternity was okay. The plot reminded me of a classic cartoon trope, a haunted house and a group of kids. I think the climax could have been handled better, it felt a tad rushed. Good to see Ghostfreak again and Cooper was...there. I never thought he was an amazing character, didn't hate him but he just wasn't that interesting to me. Lucy went back and forth of being annoying and funny, I like her design but she is rather meh.
Oh and Phil LaMarr appears in a Ben 10 series, even if he was in two small roles.

Stuck on You was...okay. I was excited for Khyber's return but he seemed underused. The parasite was interesting, I guess he's not bad but not exactly good.

Let's Do the Time War Again was another okay episode and wow the parasite actually returns, I thought he would have just left after an eisode. The format for it was different and unique but was still rather...meh. I wasn't that interested in it.

Secret of Dos Santos was another decent episode for me, I'm still not interested in Kai and Ben or Kai in general.

Third Time's a Charm was, again, just okay. I feel this is the weakest of the episodes featuring Charmcaster. But hey Tom Kenny so not all bad.

So far, I felt this week had the most disappointing episodes. Not bad but nothing outstanding.

Last edited by Music Meister; 11-09-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Music Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014   #33
Polyester Funk

I agree that this past batch of episodes was kinda weak.

From Hedorium to Eternity started out alright with the mystery of what was happening to the adults, yet it did seem rather anticlimactic once we knew the truth. Seeing Zs'Skar again was nice, but it wasn't that interesting of an episode to feature him. I did like that part when the kids are telling Max that Baumann was acting strange yet he just shrugs it off by saying that "Adults sometimes act strange.", and then one of the kids says "He was nice...to Ben." which quickly makes Max say "Somethings wrong." I however didn't like how they had that part in there were Kevin told Cooper that Gwen could never like him cuz he's a doughy nerd and Kevin is a bad boy. It just didn't sit right with me cuz she if course did pick Kevin and that part just seemed to try and say it was only cuz he was bad. I'm probably putting to much into it cuz we now know that hrs not always bad or sometimes bad. It just seemed odd to put that in there.

Stuck on You: it was nice to see Khyber return, yet it didn't seem serious enough an episode to feature the big, bad hunter again. The idea of him using the Slimebiote to access the Nemetrix predators was a good one, but it just didn't really seem to go anywhere. He was a Crabdozer fusion once and then Skurd left him for Ben which made him turn into a Tyrannopede and that was about it. I do like that Skurd cab give Ben's aliens different abilities, like Humungousaur with Diamondhead's arm and sword. That's a cool addition to the series.

Let's Do the Time War Again: I also expected that the parasite would be gone, but he sticks around and for later episodes too. The time beast thing was kinda cool and it was OK seeing multiple versions of Ben and Rook, however I got a little tired of having to see the same events replayed. Paradox was kick a** in this one during his fight with Eon and I like Ben 10K's fusion aliens.

Secret of Dos Santos: I liked luchador Rath, that was fun. He finally had clothes after that one episode revealed that he was naked and not supposed to be. His throwdown with Exo-Skull was kinds cool. One thing I noticed though was that in Let's Do the Time War Again, Exo-Skull looked noticeably bigger than Four Arms, yet in this one he didn't look much bigger than Rath and I'm pretty sure that Four Arms is bigger than Rath.

Third Time's a Charm was also OK. Tom Kenny as Bezel was pretty fun and I sorta liked that goofy Minotoga guy that was at the beginning. Charmcaster turning into a dragon was cool, but I don't know if I feel like they did enough with her to have her defeated already. If the franchise continues we'll likely see her again.
Old 11-15-2014   #34
Music Meister
Top Contributor

Final Countdown was pretty good, it was cool to see a more Rook focused episode. Fistina was funny and Kundo was pretty badass. It was cool to see Rook be promoted and that Fistina could be future plumber.
Oh and while I don't like the series, the small reference to Rick and Morty was rather clever.

Malgax Attacks was another good one, wish Albedo got more scenes but that is more of a nitpick. I was glad it ended with Ben realizing he liked and needed Skurd. The fight scenes were cool, Azmuth was funny and Vilgax with Malware armor was badass.

Most Dangerous Game was decent, I dunno I thought it could have been a little better. As much as I like seeing a more female focused episode I thought the episode could have been done a little better. I was more courious as why so many of these women were playing, some don't like Ben like that and some were already in a relationship of some kind. The end with Ester I didn't like, just felt...off. I dunno, just a bad way to end things with ben and Ester.
At least I wish the episode ended with Ben and Kai just dating, at least it could have cut the whole "I don't like you (yes I do)" thing.

End of a Era had good moments, always cool to see Future Ben and his combo forms. The fights were cool and there were nice moments. The reveal with Spanner was okay, I think it could have used more build up.
I typically have mix feelings about future episodes, I'm sure this could have been a "Maybe could be" future but I dunno, something just didn't site right with me.
I do like seeing where the characters would be and I'm glad they seem happy.

A New Dawn, I assume this is the last episode and it ended it nicely. Seeing Washington be badass was cool as was seeing young Vilgax. I mentioned before but I like Maltraunt as a villain, gotta love Mark Hamil. The ending though, man...the feels...the feels...
A good ending to end a good series.

I assume this was the last episodes so I just wanted to say that this series was great, it put Ben 10 back to it's former glory and fixed a lot Alien Force and Ultimate Alien mucked up.
Not all episodes were amazing but it had a lot of good episodes and it was on par and sometimes surpassed the original series.

I hope it gets a sequel or at least some sort of movie but I'm glad it ended on a good note and I doubt this will be the last we hear of the Ben 10 franchise.

Last edited by Music Meister; 11-15-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-17-2014   #35
Polyester Funk

Final Countdown was pretty nice. Kundo with the wires on him and his desire to destroy technology made him into a reverse Beast Machines Megatron. Rook being promoted was cool and Fistina May now be a Plumber was unexpected, but nice. I find her crushing on Rook to be funny. It's just that accent of hers and what she calls him, I just enjoy it.

Malgax Attacks was a cool one. I had at first thought that the title was referring to Maltruant and Vilgax teaming up since Malware was supposedly dead, yet he is an artificially created being so I'm not sure that he can truly die. Agree that the fights were awesome. I got a kick out of seeing Malgax punch Diamondhead all the way to the Galvanic Mechamorph homeworld. I thought that Atomix would give him a better fight though, as it kinda seemed like Whampire held out longer. Lord Transyl was pretty powerful so I wouldn't call Whampire weak, but Atomix is supposed to be the second strongest after Alien X I believe. Yeah, we could have used more Albedo, as that would have been nice. We did get to see Ultimate Rath which was cool, yet I wish that we had seen Ben use him back when he had the Ultimate forms. I'd like to see Albedo get his teenage Ben form back if he ever returns.

Most Dangerous Game Show had some fun moments, but overall it didn't really do much. It was cool to see all of those characters again that we haven't seen like Eunice, Sunny and Elena Validus. I didn't notice those first two in the episode, I saw them on the Wiki. Other than officially putting Ben and Kai together I don't feel like this one had much of a point.

End of an Era was good. I always enjoy seeing the future stuff. I don't know if I'd want to see an entire series set there, but I like the glimpses we see. Ben's fusion aliens are cool and I want to see more of them, and Max is still a total bad a** even when he's got to be about 90. I love when he took down Animo and then said "I've still got it." I do think that the Spanner reveal could have been handled better. It lacked the big impact that I thought it would have. For the future characters anyway, I thought his parents would handle it differently. And I thought that he'd get his Omnitrix back and help out current Ben against Maltruant. Oh, and I'm glad that we know that Kevin isn't evil and it appears that he's heading the Rooters. They must get some kind of overhaul and that the Plumbers still feel that they need a black ops division or some kind of specialty group. Since they didn't elaborate I don't know the situation.

A New Dawn was a nice way to end things. George Washington was awesome. I like how they explained the origins of him chopping down the cherry tree. Seeing a younger Vilgax w as interesting and that incident is what started him on the path of trying to get the Omnitrix. The ending was nice as Ben used every alien to absorb the Anihilaarg and destroy Maltruant and he and Rook witnessed the creation of the universe. "I've met your dad and he doesn't have a straw growing out of his head." Just thought that was a funny line. And the part were Maltruant couldn't use his powers because time didn't exist yet was an interesting idea.

I was a little iffy on Omniverse at first, but it grew on me and now I'm sorry to see it go. I do think that we haven't seen the end of Ben 10, but I don't know if it will continue where this left off or not. I'd like to see that happen. To see Ben, Rook, Gwen and Kevin on a road trip through the universe. And since Omniverse gave us Atomix and Toepick, then let's see the other unseen guys Squidstrictor, Rocks, Ventrilosquid, Sandbox, Snakepit and Shellhead. As well as any other new ones people can come up with.

I do feel that we'll see something again, but for the time being I'm gonna miss watching Ben change into different aliens just cuz I find it fun.

Last edited by Polyester Funk; 11-17-2014 at 12:16 AM.
Old 11-20-2014   #36
Music Meister
Top Contributor

I think Atomix didn't do well against Vilgax in Malgax Attack was becuase Vilgax could absorb and fire back his attacks.
Old 11-20-2014   #37
GothamRed

I do like how Derrick J. Wyatt did confirm that Devlin Levin wasn't written out (he was evidently grounded when the penultimate episode happened). Though it would have been nice to see him again (I was hoping voiced by Charlie again since as much as I like Greg as Kevin, I was kind of disappointed that Ben had three distinct actors for his 3 ages and Kevin and Gwen now have the same voice for all 3 ages so mixing it up would have been cool if he showed up, especially since Kenny and Ben no longer share a VA so it would have worked). Though it does raise the question, is Gwen Devlin's mom now, or did she and Kevin break up at some point?
Old 11-21-2014   #38
Polyester Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRed View Post
I do like how Derrick J. Wyatt did confirm that Devlin Levin wasn't written out (he was evidently grounded when the penultimate episode happened). Though it would have been nice to see him again (I was hoping voiced by Charlie again since as much as I like Greg as Kevin, I was kind of disappointed that Ben had three distinct actors for his 3 ages and Kevin and Gwen now have the same voice for all 3 ages so mixing it up would have been cool if he showed up, especially since Kenny and Ben no longer share a VA so it would have worked). Though it does raise the question, is Gwen Devlin's mom now, or did she and Kevin break up at some point?
The Wiki states that Kevin went crazy again at some point and fathered Devlin with an unknown woman, but then after some time in the Null Void(or some other prison) that he was cured and is good again and back with Gwen. I don't know how accurate that is since its from a Wiki. I did see that Derrick said that Devlin does exist and was grounded at the time like you said, but he didn't elaborate on the whole situation. Not to my knowledge anyway, I may have to take a look somewhere and see. It would have been nice to see Devlin again and she if he's still living with the Tennyson family or if he's with Kevin and possibly Gwen. If she is his mom he should be with the two of them.

It just hit me the other day that future Ben had a different voice, yet Gwen, Kevin and Kai are still voiced by the same people they were as teenagers and even as kids, too thanks to Omniverse.
Old 11-21-2014   #39
Polyester Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Meister View Post
I think Atomix didn't do well against Vilgax in Malgax Attack was becuase Vilgax could absorb and fire back his attacks.
Ah, I must not have really noticed or remembered that. Makes sense, though cuz he seemed to ineffectual against Vilgax considering how powerful he's supposed to be. Would have liked to have seen more of Atomix. If we get a continuation I hope that we will.
Old 11-21-2014   #40
Music Meister
Top Contributor

So Yuri Lowenthal wrote Most Dangerous Game, I did not notice that which is odd since he was listed in the beginning.