Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Movie Discussion

Movie Discussion Discuss all things related to upcoming, latest and classic movies! Threads may contain SPOILERS!

Old 11-22-2018   #1
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Default "The Lion King" (2019)

First tease-hair.

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/tr...yAGZ0oSbbSwZkA
Old 11-24-2018   #2
thomwim

Default Re: "The Lion King" (July 2019)

I wonder what Disney's going to do with the soundtrack.

Simba and Nala's voice actors, Childish Gambino (aka Donald Glover) and Beyonce, are Sony recording artists (except Australia for Glover). But Disney works closely with Universal's recording artists and songwriters.

Last edited by thomwim; 11-24-2018 at 05:00 PM.
thomwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018   #3
The Doctor

I get it that this is just the first teaser, so of course it was going to be loaded with as much nostalgic imagery as possible, but it being such a blatant shot-for-shot remake (I don't think that even Gus Van Sant's Psycho was this shameless) really rubs me the wrong way. I know that this is directed by Favreau, whose Jungle Book remake took tons of liberties, but The Lion King is one of, if not the most beloved Disney movie of all-time. I fear that very little creative freedom was allowed and this will end up like the Beauty and the Beast remake.

Also, I have a really controversial opinion that I want to get out. I think that having James Earl Jones reprise Mufasa, especially since he doesn't seems to be doing anything significantly different with the voice, is just lame. It's a REMAKE, it should take chances and do things its own way. Bruce Campbell didn't star in Evil Dead remake, even though he is the face of that franchise, and people were fine with that, so I think recasting Mufasa would have been fine. And don't tell me only he can do the role, since he is not the only black actor in Hollywood with cool voice. Laurence Fishburne, Djimon Hounsou, Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington, Idris Elba, Mahershala Ali or even Terry Crews, just to name a few, would have been great in the role.
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018   #4
Torak

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
shot-for-shot remake[1] James Earl Jones reprise Mufasa [2]
*Left the talking points in ordered brackets.

While I agree the Lion King teaser style seems very similar to the Beauty and the Beast 2017 route Disney took, which I hope is not the case, I think this one was a little better then the Aladdin remake teaser (which was so drab and empty that as of now I have little confidence in how that'll turn out.)
It has more energy, scope and plays up the nostalgia better in my opinion. Not to mention Jon Favreau's Jungle Book was arguably the most different of the Disney live-action remakes, so I doubt that this'll be an exact replica of the original. But hey, he was likely hired for the motion capture first and maybe the track record of writer Jeff Nathanson (Speed 2, Indiana Jones 4 and Pirates 5) will proceed him in this film too...

While I don't share your opinion of James Earl Jones as Mufasa, I can see where you're coming from. An entirely new cast would at least send a message that this remake aims to be expansive and comparably different from its original counterpart. Especially since I really like the new cast of this remake. Having said that, James is still Mufasa to me and many others, so I'm sort of neutral about it. When the next trailer arrives I'm fairly confident that this remake won't just be a exact replica.

Last edited by Torak; 11-27-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Torak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018   #5
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torak View Post
But hey, he was likely hired for the motion capture first...
That's...not really how hiring a director works...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torak View Post
...and maybe the track record of writer Jeff Nathanson (Speed 2, Indiana Jones 4 and Pirates 5) will proceed him in this film too...
Counterpoint: Catch Me If You Can and The Terminal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
Also, I have a really controversial opinion that I want to get out. I think that having James Earl Jones reprise Mufasa, especially since he doesn't seems to be doing anything significantly different with the voice, is just lame. It's a REMAKE, it should take chances and do things its own way. Bruce Campbell didn't star in Evil Dead remake, even though he is the face of that franchise, and people were fine with that, so I think recasting Mufasa would have been fine. And don't tell me only he can do the role, since he is not the only black actor in Hollywood with cool voice. Laurence Fishburne, Djimon Hounsou, Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington, Idris Elba, Mahershala Ali or even Terry Crews, just to name a few, would have been great in the role.

I mean, um... yes. Quite. I agree.

I was literally just talking to my brother-in-law about this a few days ago. If you're going to recast everyone by virtue of it being a remake, then recast everyone, not just 19/20 of the cast members. Don't get me wrong - JEJ's voice is iconic, Mufasa is iconic, and no one will ever be James Earl Jones like James Earl Jones. But that's because no one else should be James Earl Jones except for James Earl Jones. That's the beauty of these remakes. Spoiler Alert: James Bond has gone above and beyond Sean Connery. Optimus Prime's been played by more than Peter Cullen (a similar, yet different situation). Mark Hamill is not the only Joker. No one else will be Shrek quite like Mike Myers. Hugh Jackman is an amazing Wolverine, but we're probably going to have a new Wolverine in 20 years anyway. Batman changes every five years and each one brings their own twist to the character. Etc., etc., etc.. That's what bothers me when people say "So-and-so is the only one who can play such-and-such". 99% of the time, they're factually wrong because so-and-so has been played by someone other than such-and-such. Do you know how often I'm tempted to reply to online comments of "No one else can be Mufasa" with "Gary Anthony Williams says hi"?

Likeswie, I had considered Fishburne, but I had also thrown out the names of Keith David, Gary Anthony Williams, Tony Todd, Ving Rhames, Ernie Hudson, Dennis Haysbert, Peter Mensah and Andre Braugher.

Last edited by TylerMirage; 11-27-2018 at 08:44 AM.
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018   #6
Torak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMirage View Post
That's...not really how hiring a director works...

Hence why I said 'likely'. Since he's in Disney's contacts list now after his recent success with them, I just figured it would make sense for Disney to hire him again, as the film is going to be mostly motion capture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMirage View Post
Counterpoint: Catch Me If You Can and The Terminal.

... Touchè!

Last edited by Torak; 11-27-2018 at 01:31 PM. Reason: *Changed fully to mostly so I'm not out-technicality'd*
Torak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018   #7
Lion's Edge

Honestly, I was rather unimpressed with the trailer as a whole. I may be a little biased as The Lion King is my favourite movie for all time, but seeing it rendered, almost shot by shot, in that photorealistic CG style? It took a lot of the majesty out of the original. It never quite compared to the rich, vivid colour palettes of the Pride Lands and that iconic opening sunrise, and I worry that the lion characters will be very indistinct from one another because of that.

And 110% agreed on JEJ; honestly, even HE sounds off, I felt, as Mufasa. It no longer sounded or felt like the Mufasa of 1994 - which they clearly wanted to recapture, going by the trailer's approach of "nostalgia-baiting" - but rather old and tired; even a little too breathy at certain points. Much less a fatherly figure and more a grandfather; an angle that'd work fine for a Mufasa of, say, Kion and Kiara's era appearing to them AS their grandfather, but for Simba' father supposedly in the prime of his life? Maybe he sounds a lot better in the actual movie, but it just sounds so weary and aged it no longer mesmerised me to see it as "Mufasa".

I'd have gone for someone like Keith David or Peter Mensah; had he been alive still, the late Michael Clarke Duncan could have also ROCKED the role. Or, hell, could even have gone for a less "mainstream" name like Jonathan Adams for a less immediately recognisable voice that'd allow it to be imprinted onto a new generation as "Mufasa".

I dunno, this remake, more so than any other, has had me rather antsy and mixed since the very start. And this is even before it has been released or I've heard its new take on the songs.
Lion's Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018   #8
TheVengeanceKnight

I'm not too upset about JEJ reprising Mufasa, but I agree that it would've been interesting to hear/see another actor in the role, and who they would cast that isn't JEJ.
TheVengeanceKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018   #9
Troodon2

I might not be looking forward to it myself, but I can understand other people's enthusiasm for it so I can respect that.

However there is one problem (out of a few others) I have so far and that's the context of the film being "Live-Action" when it is really animated.

This is a problem I have been considering that it further cements this stigma that animation is a genre rather than a medium, I mean sure the animals and the background settings look live-action, but they're done with computers so they are still animated.
Troodon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018   #10
thomwim

I've been pretty averse to Disney's live-action versions.

"The Lion King" was a childhood favorite, and I might as well see the remake. [Likely to be rated PG for animal violence. None of which were harmed in the making of this film, because they're CGI.]

The only ones that I've truly enjoyed were "Beauty and the Beast" and "Christopher Robin"; those franchises marked my childhood.