Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Old 02-28-2016   #1
Troodon2

Default Anime/Video Game voice actors who have done Western Animation, but should do more.

For the past year or so I've been wondering, voice actors like Tara Platt and Laura Bailey have provided voice overs in American Animation before, yet they haven't appeared in that genre as much as Yuri Lowenthal or Travis Willingham.

And I know Matthew Mercer is no stranger to original voice overs, and we even have a couple new comers like Ashly Burch and Todd Habberkorn.

But with the case Laura Bailey in particular I've been wondering "Does she still do animation?" I mean surely that might have to do with her prominence in video games, but that doesn't stop Troy Baker from still lending his voice in cartoons. And honestly I feel that she, and several others like Tara Platt, Mary Elizabeth Mcglynn, and Neil Kaplan, people who have best known in Anime Dubs and Video Games yet have done voice overs in American Animation, should be getting more roles in the latter media.

I don't want these people to be ignored or unmentioned, and I'd very much like them to gain recognition for that; and even be honorably mentioned in online videos about voice actors by online contributors like the Blockbuster Buster, who does a yearly tribute to voice actors in a list order... but it only mentions voice actors in the field of mainstream animation and not anime/video games, hence more why I feel the actors I mentioned should be getting more credit and recognition.

But that's just me, and this is just my list of voice actors who did anime and video games, who have done animation but should get more roles.

Laura Bailey (Black Widow, Cheetah, Dawnstar)
Matthew Mercer (Tigra, Bigfoot)
Bryce Pappenbrook (Be Cool Scooby Doo)
Neil Kaplan (Dumbledoor in Robot Chicken)
Mary Elizabeth Mcglynn (Replacements and Steven Universe)
Richard Epcar (Legend of Korra, Batman Unlimited, and Mr. Peabody and Sherman)
Grant George (Antman)

Last edited by Troodon2; 02-28-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Troodon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016   #2
Autovolt

Default Re: Anime/Video Game voice actors who have done Western Animation, but should do more

Paul St. Peter.

I know Fred Tatasciore and John DiMaggio basically fill in his niches but I'd love to hear him in more things.

Jamieson Price, Patrick Seitz, Marc Diraison, Erica Mendez, Cristina Vee, Christine Marie Carbanos, Kira Buckland, Sarah Williams, Carrie Keranen, Bridgett Hoffman, Veronica Taylor, David Vincent and Doug Erholtz would be cool to see in some cartoons.

From New York - I really would love to see Kevin T. Collins or Jon Avner in a cartoon of some kind...or more anime.....anything really.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016   #3
Troodon2

Default Re: Anime/Video Game voice actors who have done Western Animation, but should do more

Actually the topic was regarding voice actors who actually did do animation, but should do more, but okay.
Old 02-28-2016   #4
huzaifa_ahmed
Banned

Bridget Hoffman (I'd love to see her alongside Hynden Walch, LJM, Cassandra Lee Morris, Cherami Leigh, Melissa Fahn, Carrie Savage, Michelle Ruff, Kate Higgins, Stephanie Sheh, & Sandy Fox) in an MLP-esque show (i.e. for little girls, but smart).

Karen Strassman, Colleen Clinkenbeard (who would naturally fit into the "cutesy" range, if not for OP), Caitlin Glass (who can do both action & cute), Tara Jayne, Mary McGlynn, Tara Platt, & Wendee Lee alongside Jennifer Hale, Vanessa Marshall, & Grey DeLisle in an "action girl"-esque show like Totally Spies, or a more general superhero show like Marvel/DC stuff as Wonder-Woman, Catwoman, Wasp, Supergirl, Batgirl, Poison Ivy (esp. Mary McGlynn), Jean, Storm, Rogue, Jessica Jones, or Harley Quinn/

Bryce, Grelle, JYB, Vic, Todd, & maybe Steve Staley & Darrel Guilbeau might make excellent Spider-Men or Robin's or Red Arrow's or other "boy hero"-esque characters in a Marvel or DC show, as Yuri Lowenthal & I suppose Ben Diskin do. I actually imagine Vic Mignogna doing a nice Deadpool with good direction.

Not sure where to put older, lighter-sounding veteran VA's like Barbara Goodson, & Steve Kramer, but certainly they deserve their due after so many years working in ADR. Great work as Mother Talzin! Mona Marshall I'd like to see as a (lead) little boy on a major US show.

Funny enough, I think David Hayter might count, but I believe he's busy with Hollywood scripts ATM.

Sabat/Hebert/Lang/Epcar/McConnohie/Seitz/Dan Green/Paul St. Peter (as Autovolt pointed out)/Price (basically, English-dub actors for Otsuka/Ginja/Utsumi/Genda), I'd love to see as monsters, villains, & even heroes on major superhero shows, alongside DiMaggio/Tatasciore/KMR/JB Blanc/the like. The deeper/older out of these would make great police officers (looking at you, Epcar).

Chris Cason is also a great match for your RCS/Tom Kenny/low tenor-high baritone mid-range types (as is Marc Diraison). Great "cartoony" voice.

I have a feeling that Christopher Ayres might make a great Joker if he got the chance, with Tia Ballard as Harley Quinn. Versus Christopher Sabat as Batman, with Eric Vale or Greg Ayres as Robin. & Alexis Tipton as Catwoman, Mike McFarland as Penguin, JMT as Firefly ( l Crispin Freeman's), & Sonny Strait as Two-Face.

Batman Ball Z (alternatively - Batman: the FUNimated Series).
huzaifa_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016   #5
Troodon2

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa_ahmed View Post
I have a feeling that Christopher Ayres might make a great Joker if he got the chance, with Tia Ballard as Harley Quinn. Versus Christopher Sabat as Batman, with Eric Vale or Greg Ayres as Robin. & Alexis Tipton as Catwoman, Mike McFarland as Penguin, JMT as Firefly ( l Crispin Freeman's), & Sonny Strait as Two-Face.

I find that rather unlikely, given how the cast at Funimation are primarily in dubs for for anime. There are exceptions considering video games like SMITE, as recorded at OkraTron5000, but I don't really see a domestic animation crew pitching their script production to Dallas based voice over artists.
Old 02-29-2016   #6
Domayv

Quote:

Jad Saxton would make a better fit as Harley Quinn, Jason Douglas or Andrew Love would be a better fit for Batman, I can't see Eric Vale (too mature-sounding) or Greg Ayres (too high-pitched) for Robin (I'm sticking with Aaron Dismuke), and I can't see Alexis Tipton doing Catwoman (Colleen Clinkenbeard would be a much better fit for her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troodon2 View Post
I find that rather unlikely, given how the cast at Funimation are primarily in dubs for for anime. There are exceptions considering video games like SMITE, as recorded at OkraTron5000, but I don't really see a domestic animation crew pitching their script production to Dallas based voice over artists.
There ARE animation (primarily CG) studios located in Dallas. It's just that they haven't tapped into the local talent pool,
Domayv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016   #7
Troodon2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domayv View Post
Jad Saxton would make a better fit as Harley Quinn, Jason Douglas or Andrew Love would be a better fit for Batman, I can't see Eric Vale (too mature-sounding) or Greg Ayres (too high-pitched) for Robin (I'm sticking with Aaron Dismuke), and I can't see Alexis Tipton doing Catwoman (Colleen Clinkenbeard would be a much better fit for her)

There ARE animation (primarily CG) studios located in Dallas. It's just that they haven't tapped into the local talent pool,
It's not the lack of animation studios, it's that there is no production company working on a certain show pitching it to a Dallas based cast should the production of said project move outside of LA... and I suddenly just realized I just repeated your answer... whoops.

Anyway, I guess I should change the title of this thread, since the topic of people who DID do western animation but should do MORE is now sort'a irrelevant.

Last edited by Troodon2; 02-29-2016 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-01-2016   #8
DisneyAnimefan1995

Post Re: Anime/Video Game voice actors who have done Western Animation, but should do more

Quote:
Bridget Hoffman (I'd love to see her alongside Hynden Walch, LJM, Cassandra Lee Morris, Cherami Leigh, Melissa Fahn, Carrie Savage, Michelle Ruff, Kate Higgins, Stephanie Sheh, & Sandy Fox) in an MLP-esque show (i.e. for little girls, but smart).

Karen Strassman, Colleen Clinkenbeard (who would naturally fit into the "cutesy" range, if not for OP), Caitlin Glass (who can do both action & cute), Tara Jayne, Mary McGlynn, Tara Platt, & Wendee Lee alongside Jennifer Hale, Vanessa Marshall, & Grey DeLisle in an "action girl"-esque show like Totally Spies, or a more general superhero show like Marvel/DC stuff as Wonder-Woman, Catwoman, Wasp, Supergirl, Batgirl, Poison Ivy (esp. Mary McGlynn), Jean, Storm, Rogue, Jessica Jones, or Harley Quinn/

Bryce, Grelle, JYB, Vic, Todd, & maybe Steve Staley & Darrel Guilbeau might make excellent Spider-Men or Robin's or Red Arrow's or other "boy hero"-esque characters in a Marvel or DC show, as Yuri Lowenthal & I suppose Ben Diskin do. I actually imagine Vic Mignogna doing a nice Deadpool with good direction.
Agreed with the ones on top, I actually wouldn't mind seeing Tara Jayne Sands do more original animation, since her last Pre-Lay show was Generator Rex. It would be also awesome for Christine Marie Cabanos and Cristina Vee doing work in western animation, especially the latter since she could have a chance to shine for guest appearances on the current cartoons from Disney, but I digress.

I 100% agree with both Yuri Lowenthal and Tara Platt, they are one of my favorite voice actor couples and definitely on my most wanted in Western Animation. Even though they did do original animation for shows like Ben 10 (Ultimate Alien and Omniverse) and Legion of Superheroes, I'm still surprised why neither of them have been cast in any of the DC comics and the Marvel Comic Cartoons (especially the latter). I can so imagine the many which Marvel comics characters Tara Platt could voice like: Mockingbird, Maria Hill, Jessica Jones, Madame Hydra (Viper), Captain Marvel (unlikely, since Grey Griffin might be the new voice for her), Satana, Mantis, Elektra, Moondragon Valkyrie, Tigra, and Gamora (same as Ms Marvel already voiced by someone else (Vanessa Marshall), but wouldn't be surprised if she voiced Gamora for Marvel Disk Wars). While I enjoy listening Grey Delisle, Vanessa Marshall, Laura Bailey, Kari Wahlgren, April Stewart etc. but it would be really awesome if someone else would voicing some female characters (heroes and villains) from the Marvel animated universe, As for Yuri, it's tough since he did mention on Disney Infinity Toy Box TV and another interview that he loved Captain America, but I guess the ship has sailed, so I can't think of any Marvel character he could voice aside from the incidental SHIELD Agent. I also wouldn't mind if they appear in a Star Wars animated show like Rebels.

Dave Wittenberg definitely needs to do more Animation roles, sure he has done voice work in Pre-lay 10 years ago, but it seems that he's becoming Overlooked amd under appreciated these days and seems to do just Incidental background voices for video games. I hope he continues to do more voice work in the medium.
DisneyAnimefan1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016   #9
Shaun Ince

I'd say Sean Schemmel fits into this category. He voiced characters in TMNT in 2003. Also he was in Sofia The First as well.
Shaun Ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016   #10
huzaifa_ahmed
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Ince View Post
I'd say Sean Schemmel fits into this category. He voiced characters in TMNT in 2003. Also he was in Sofia The First as well.
I have a feeling that TMNT & much of the 4Kids! stuff wasn't very well-paid or even a SAG-AFTRA gig.

& Sean Schemmel was also two characters in a recent Scooby-Doo! series.
huzaifa_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote