Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Old 09-22-2015   #1
Michaelsar

Default Best and Worst of Celebrity Voice Actors

I'm not sure if there's already a thread like this, but hey...

Let's talk about the best and worst of celebrity voice acting in animated movies. I'll start by bringing up Mike Myers as Shrek.
Michaelsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015   #2
Autovolt

Default Re: Best and Worst of Celebrity Voice Actors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelsar View Post
I'm not sure if there's already a thread like this, but hey...

Let's talk about the best and worst of celebrity voice acting in animated movies. I'll start by bringing up Mike Myers as Shrek.
So are you trying to say Mike Myers as Shrek is good or bad?

Because I think he's great.
Autovolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015   #3
Michaelsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autovolt View Post
So are you trying to say Mike Myers as Shrek is good or bad?

Because I think he's great.
I meant that he was good. He's one of the great ones.
Old 09-23-2015   #4
BlankSlate

One of the best I think has been Bradley Cooper as Rocket Raccoon in 'Guardians of the Galaxy'. Watching the film, I could not imagine Cooper recording in the studio. He gave Rocket presence. He made a CGI character feel like he was really there. It was ingenious. I guess the Brooklyn accent helped as well, as well as the fact that Rocket is such an engaging character.
BlankSlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015   #5
Michaelsar

And now, an example of a bad celebrity voice acting performance: Ty Burrell as Mr. Peabody. It sounds nothing like the original, I just hear Ty Burrell with a British accent.

Apparently the director cast him because he didn't want to go with someone who, you know, actually SOUNDED like the character to "modernize" him. That's like doing a Rocky and Bullwinkle movie and casting David Spade as Rocky and Chris Rock as Bullwinkle to "modernize" them.
Old 09-23-2015   #6
BlankSlate

I initially thought that Rihanna wasn't terrible in 'Home', but the more I thought about it, I found her performance pretty underwhelming.

Also, maybe it's that I heard Ilja Richter first, but I wasn't too impressed with John Malkovich in 'Penguins of Madagascar' either.
Old 09-23-2015   #7
Michaelsar

I have an idea. When you post an example of a celebrity voice actor performance that didn't work, you or someone else can post which voice actor you think could've played the character better.

I'll start. Dan Castallaneta did a pretty good impression of Mr. Peabody for his cameo on The Simpsons. I personally think he would've been a better choice to do the voice of the character in the movie.
Old 09-24-2015   #8
Michaelsar

I have another example in the "Worst" category: everyone in "The Smurfs" movies except Jonathan Winters. It's like the filmmakers picked names out of a hat and then threw in Katy Perry because she was popular.
Old 09-25-2015   #9
MilanTheVillain01

Send a message via MSN to MilanTheVillain01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelsar View Post
I have an idea. When you post an example of a celebrity voice actor performance that didn't work, you or someone else can post which voice actor you think could've played the character better..
Peter Dinklage as Ghost in Destiny (Year One).
Replaced by Nolan North in Year Two (although he arguably isn't much better).
A more direct comparison between the two.

I'd prefer someone like Travis Willingham, or hell, maybe even Steve Downes, just for the sake of irony.
MilanTheVillain01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015   #10
BlankSlate

It's tricky when a role is written for a particular actor in mind, especially for Disney who tends to model their characters after their actors in appearance and sometimes in personality.
I'm going to discuss this briefly, but Robin Williams as the Genie in 'Aladdin' is a specific example of a beloved performance by a celebrity. He practically embodied the role, and people didn't seem to care whether they could imagine him in the studio or not. Not even Castellaneta could quite follow up to that.
On the subject of that film, Gilbert Gottfried as Iago is sometimes distracting, but in my opinion, he's fine, partially thanks to the collective fusion of Will Finn's expressive animation. Although, unlike Williams, Gottfried isn't as big a name so he could do the role forever, because the role was written for him.

I felt similarly about Seth Rogen as Paul in 'Paul'. I found him distracting sometimes, especially when he's offscreen, but the animation by Double Negative was so good, and Rogen himself had enough sincere moments in his performance that I forgot he wasn't even there.

Eartha Kitt in 'The Emperor's New Groove'... what else can I say? Genius. She was so perfect in the role of a character that didn't even look like her. It's probably that again, she wasn't as big a name as the rest of the cast so she could do the role forever.

Last edited by BlankSlate; 09-25-2015 at 03:01 AM.