Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Movie World > Upcoming Theatrical Features

Upcoming Theatrical Features Catch up on the hype surrounding the latest upcoming theatrical features.

Old 03-20-2019   #1
Kioea

Default Asterix: The Secret of the Magic Potion - English dub

Well, the first English trailer for the latest Asterix film has dropped (thanks to IMB for bringing it to my attention), and it looks like the initial release will feature the Vancouver cast again (can't speak for the UK release yet). Let's see who's reprising, and who might be taking on the new roles. Here's a link to Mansions of the Gods so you can compare (some characters may require you to click on them for the voice samples).

Trailer: Getafix (0.11, 0.37, I'm not sure if this is still John Innes, but then he wasn't this animated in the last film), Asterix (0.24, 1.14, still Ken, I think), Demonix (0.32, 1.09, 1.16), Druid 1 (0.41, 0.46), Druid 2 (0.44, 0.51, 1.01), Magnetix (0.54, Richard Ian Cox?), Mentor (1.06), Caesar (1.12), Unhygienix (1.21, still Jason), Fulliautomatix (1.22, 1.41, 1.50, still Scott?), Somniferus (1.29), Obelix (1.38, still Ernst), Cubitus (1.54, don't think this is Sam somehow)
Kioea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019   #2
IMB

Default Re: Asterix: The Secret of the Magic Potion - English dub

I'm pretty certain Mark Oliver returned for Caesar. He only gets one line in the trailer, but it's identical to the voice he did in Mansions. I agree with Fulliautomatix being Scott. I realized that after sending you that message.

Getafix is who had me initially second guessing whether or not this was done in Vancouver again. It doesn't really sound like Innes, but you're right in saying this could potentially just be a different inflection.

Unfortunately, like Mansions, don't expect any credits help from Canada. The movie was released in Quebec last month and there's been zero word on English Canada. I suspect when/if it gets a home video release here, it'll default to French video with the dub as a secondary, uncredited audio track.
IMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019   #3
millicent

The other parts don't sound like him as much, but 1:16 of Demonix sounds a lot like Michael Shepherd.
millicent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019   #4
Autovolt

The guard that Obelix knocks out out at the end of the trailer, I'm pretty sure is James Higuchi.
Autovolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019   #5
Kioea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autovolt View Post
The guard that Obelix knocks out out at the end of the trailer, I'm pretty sure is James Higuchi.
I'm not familiar with him, but listening to his clips on-site, I can 100% see that. Shame they replaced Sam Vincent, though - he played that character very well in Mansions.

I now wonder if James is Magnetix as well?
Old 03-21-2019   #6
millicent

Quote:
Originally Posted by millicent View Post
The other parts don't sound like him as much, but 1:16 of Demonix sounds a lot like Michael Shepherd.
Checking out the trailer again with a fresh mind, I am now almost 100% sure this is Shepherd, raising the possibility that he, like other Albertans before him, moved to Vancouver or (equally possibly) that Ocean used Bluewater to record some Albertan talent.
millicent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019   #7
Kioea

Regarding the Getafix issue, I've just had a look at the only other voice role we know of for John Innes - Eliezer in Superbook. Again, the acting is not as animated as in the trailer, but based on the last line, I have a strong feeling that it's still John.
Old 03-24-2019   #8
Kioea

C. Ernst Harth as Obelix and Jason Simpson as Unhygienix and Sominferus confirmed.

Last edited by Kioea; 03-24-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
IMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMB View Post
Unfortunately, like Mansions, don't expect any credits help from Canada. The movie was released in Quebec last month and there's been zero word on English Canada. I suspect when/if it gets a home video release here, it'll default to French video with the dub as a secondary, uncredited audio track.
The physical Canadian home video release is on the 18th. It's been marketed as containing both English and French tracks, but the original version is the focus. The movie is officially out on digital platforms and I've been told the video is French only, so no dub credits. However, the official YouTube rental upload lists the voice actors:

Andrew Cownden
Brian Drummond
C. Ernst Harth
Don Brown
Fleur Delahunty
Jason Simpson
John Innes
Ken Kramer
Michael Adamthwaite
Michael Shepherd

That's obviously not a complete list, but it confirms Innes is back. Not that there was much doubt given Karl Willems directed Mansions, but the presence of a Calgary VA (Michael Shepherd) also confirms this is Ocean.

The best bet for a print with English credits right now is the Australian release. The theatrical launch just happened on May 30th.

Last edited by IMB; 1 Week Ago at 06:13 PM.
IMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #10
Kioea

Well, that seems to confirm quite a few reprisals. Also, I wouldn't normally stick my neck out on unfamiliar names, but based on Fleur's age (her older sister Emily is stated to be 12), I'd say it's a fair bet that she's Pectine. Otherwise, she wouldn't be listed so high.

Last edited by Kioea; 1 Week Ago at 05:37 PM.