Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > General Topics > Character Discussions

Character Discussions Who are the best villains and heroes? Discuss all character related topics here.

Old 09-19-2014   #1
CaptainFabulous

Default Give some love to Amon

Hey all,

I've been discussing Korra's first (and best) season with some of my less VA-obsessed friends, and to my disappointment none of them could recall the amazing performance of Steve Blum as Amon (Some of them didn't even know who Steve Blum was, can you believe that?).

Hoping that my very good friends were just simply slightly ignorant on the subject of voice actors, I sought my refuge online. Still, no one could say that Amon made a very big impact on them, like it did on me. If you ask me, it's rather lamentable.

Now I'd like to ask the good members of BVTA something. Please, go to Legend of Korra's voice cast page, find Amon, and play the little sound demo that the admins provided for us. Then, come back here, and tell me what you think.

I hope you enjoy that sexy Steve Blum monologue as much as I did.

Cheers,

The Captain
CaptainFabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014   #2
CatsTuxedo

Default Re: Give some love to Amon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainFabulous View Post
Still, no one could say that Amon made a very big impact on them, like it did on me. If you ask me, it's rather lamentable.
As good as Steve's Amon was, I doubt it'll be the role everyone will remember him for 5 or 10 years from now. That's probably going to stay with Spike Spiegel since that's what made him famous in the first place and his voices since then have more or less been variations of that.
CatsTuxedo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014   #3
CaptainFabulous

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsTuxedo View Post
As good as Steve's Amon was, I doubt it'll be the role everyone will remember him for 5 or 10 years from now. That's probably going to stay with Spike Spiegel since that's what made him famous in the first place and his voices since then have more or less been variations of that.
Very true, Spike Spiegel is probably the character that will forever define Steve Blum's voice acting career, and god, did I love him that show.

Still, I do think he does an amazing job as Amon, if you compare it with his more generic roles, such as The Wolverine. That he might not be remembered for it is a sad thing.
Old 09-19-2014   #4
PsychicVoiceSpy

I loved Steve as Amon, and he was honestly the best part of the character, but all of the potential the character had was just utterly wasted and the sloppy way the first season ended almost completely ruined the character for me. Steve's performance was excellent, but he's given performances of similar quality to better characters. I'll definitely remember Steve's great performance, but that's one of the only things worth remembering about Amon, at least in my opinion.
PsychicVoiceSpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014   #5
TheVengeanceKnight

Amon is probably my all-time favorite role/performance by Steve Blum. Unlike a considerable portion of the fandom, I loved his backstory and connection with Tarrlok, and thought that only added to an already amazing character. He's still Korra's best bad and the Avatar-verse's second best bad, IMO.
TheVengeanceKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014   #6
PsychicVoiceSpy

I respect that. While his backstory and resolution wasn't ideal for me personally, I think it could have been handled brilliantly if the first book lasted about twenty episodes like the ones in the original Avatar. As it was, even though his backstory and everything had a lot of potential and was good in theory, everything felt rushed and it left no room for savoring the story and wrapped up everything too quickly. Of course that's just my opinion, but I think it all could have been handled with more finesse.
PsychicVoiceSpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014   #7
CaptainFabulous

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychicVoiceSpy View Post
I respect that. While his backstory and resolution wasn't ideal for me personally, I think it could have been handled brilliantly if the first book lasted about twenty episodes like the ones in the original Avatar. As it was, even though his backstory and everything had a lot of potential and was good in theory, everything felt rushed and it left no room for savoring the story and wrapped up everything too quickly. Of course that's just my opinion, but I think it all could have been handled with more finesse.

I think one of the reasons why Legend of Aang was so much better than Legend of Korra (note: I do like Korra as well, but I loved Aang) was because of the constant threat that the fire nation/ fire lord posed. Maybe if Amon had not been limited to only the first season, he could've been greater than Mark Hamill's Ozai.
Old 09-20-2014   #8
shawnredkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainFabulous View Post
I think one of the reasons why Legend of Aang was so much better than Legend of Korra (note: I do like Korra as well, but I loved Aang) was because of the constant threat that the fire nation/ fire lord posed. Maybe if Amon had not been limited to only the first season, he could've been greater than Mark Hamill's Ozai.
Out of all of the villains so far from Legend of Korra it had to be Amon, since he was mysterious, powerful, has a great voice actor to voice him as well as his backstory. Also the animated series is not called Legend of Aang, but there is a game under that title, the animation was called Avatar: the Last Airbender (just as info). But I do agree that Avatar the Last Airbender was way better than Legend of Korra.
shawnredkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014   #9
TheVengeanceKnight

I feel like the fact that he accomplished a ####load of stuff in only twelve episodes adds to his awesomeness.
TheVengeanceKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014   #10
CaptainFabulous

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVengeanceKnight View Post
I feel like the fact that he accomplished a ####load of stuff in only twelve episodes adds to his awesomeness.
True, true. It's sad that Tarrlok had to blow up that boat, because I feel he could've totally gotten back up on his feet and wreaked havoc on Team Avatar

Tags
amon, captain fabulous, steve blum, the legend of korra