Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Site Helpers > Whose Voice is This?

Whose Voice is This? Heard a voice recently but can't figure out who provided it then post it here and let us help.

Old 05-18-2018   #1
Kioea

Default Asterix Conquers America

We could have a whole discussion on this one (and may well do, one day), largely because the majority of actors are not credited at all, even under additionals. However, with no real suggestions for most of them, I'm not sure how far we can go at the moment. Therefore, the initial focus will be on Cacofonix (6.15, 6.31), who I've seen listed as Rik Mayall. I have to say, I'm not fully convinced, but I can hear the resemblance, and it makes sense for the time period and actors used. However, the same source also suggested Jim Cummings as Fulliautomatix, and, uh... well, 15.07 is enough to tell you why that's unlikely.
Kioea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019   #2
Kioea

Default Re: Asterix Conquers America

Thought I'd come back to this one for a little revisit. As some of you know, there have been a lot of fake cast attributions in the Asterix series. Some of these have been outright fabrications, while others seem to have been wishful thinking based on a vague resemblance (and some, indeed, may well have been a mixture of the two). As such, I am generally suspicious of any online attributions that can't be backed up by other means. However... there is one that I think may be plausible (or at any rate, I can't definitively state it one way or the other).

That is, potentially, Rik Mayall as Cacofonix in Asterix Conquers America. There is a definite resemblance, and while I'm willing believe it, I'm not 100% convinced either. Does anyone out there agree (or have reason to disagree) with this?
Old 04-22-2019   #3
whyofbladez

I agree, that does sound a lot like Rik. But, I really can't say 100% that's him either.
whyofbladez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019   #4
A-Log

I agree. I also remember someone claiming that Rupert Degas (a stalwart of British-based voice-work before relocating to Australia) voiced the Witch Doctor; but I doubt that as well.
A-Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019   #5
whyofbladez

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Log View Post
I agree. I also remember someone claiming that Rupert Degas (a stalwart of British-based voice-work before relocating to Australia) voiced the Witch Doctor; but I doubt that as well.
I found this on his site toward the bottom.

Quote:
From helping to bring Japanese Anime to English-speaking audiences, to being part of multi award-winning animated series, Rupert has built a voice acting career spanning animated feature films such as Asterix Conquers America, Planet 51 and A Fox’s Tale to animated shorts such as Cherry on the Cake, Fish with Legs, and the Oscar nominated Badgered.
whyofbladez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019   #6
A-Log

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyofbladez View Post
I found this on his site toward the bottom.
I see. Well, if it came from the man himself, then it must be true.
A-Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019   #7
Kioea

Well, that at least confirms he's in the film. Annoyingly, it doesn't actually say who he plays. I'd tentatively suggest that, for all we know, he might've had multiple roles. In fact, one of his impressions actually reminds me of Unhygienix in this film, but I'm not prepared to call it.
Old 08-01-2019   #8
Kioea

Update: I got in touch with Rupert, and he confirmed that he did indeed play the Medicine Man. He says he probably played other roles as well, but with it being so long ago he can't remember.