Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Game Discussion

Game Discussion Chat about video games from old school classics to the latest and upcoming releases.

Old 07-18-2015   #1
NCZ
Eh? Char? Don't know him.

Default Street Fighter V

Some new info on SFV was dropped today at Evo.

All I can say is: NIIIIIIIIIIIICE. The last point especially has me ecstatic. It's already confirmed that the updates will exclusively be DLC, with no expansion discs like there were in previous games (which should hopefully shut up the 5 billion people who think they're hilarious clever and original by saying "HURR HURR I'M GUNNA WAIT TILL SUPER ULTRA MEGA STREET FIGHTER V HD LOOOOOOOOOL"). That and the fact that all DLC characters will basically be unlockable without any money is just amazingly good.

Man, I can't wait for this game. Street Fighter IV feels like it came out ages ago (no joke, the difference between the initial launches of this and SFIV will be only one year less than the difference between SFIV and Third Strike. Seriously.)

On top of all the characters we know of, there was some other cool new stuff shared recently, just to recap:

- Two new stages: Brazil and New Zealand/Forgotten Waterfall (Brazil stage will tie in with an announcement at the Brazil Game Show in October)
- Preview of some music

The only thing I don't really like is what they did with Birdie's character. I'm glad he's back since he was one of the characters I wanted for SFIV who never made it but... ehhhhhhh. Really not fond of the "HILARIOUS obese slob who loves eating doughnuts!!!!" direction they took with him. Not a fan of the in-your-face sense of humour that permeates all of Ono's games.

The new Ken is sick, though. Really hope Capcom has learned from the mistakes they made over the past few years. Everything about this game seems to be just right so far, so hopefully they don't screw it up.

Last edited by NCZ; 07-18-2015 at 02:59 PM.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015   #2
electronic456

Default Re: Street Fighter V

So I had a look at the M.Bison and Ken trailers for the game to look at the gameplay.

It looks pretty tame the fighting.... About the same level as Smash Bros.

I've also had a look at the lore of the characters and just went 'meh'.... I prefer the characters in Mortal Kombat. I mean characters like Johnny Cage, Scorpion and Sub-Zero they just appeal to me more.

However if there is a story mode. I hope you can get to play as everyone in their respective chapters if that's possible. That was a problem with Mortal Kombat X.

Also 16 characters.... That's a lot less than what Mortal Kombat X has.
electronic456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015   #3
NCZ

Quote:
I've also had a look at the lore of the characters and just went 'meh'....
You mean the story/background/personality? Personally I feel the beauty of Street Fighter is the straightforward but likeable nature of its characters. All of the lore and story elements are generally understated, but go together to make a cohesive whole. I prefer that approach to the drown-you-in-text style that some other series tend to go for, especially as most fighters tend to have weak storylines (King of Fighters and Tekken are probably high up there, though Tekken's story lost its way a bit in 5/6).

The character count is pretty low, but you have to realize that they basically redid the game from the ground up compared to SFIV. Roughly 16 characters is generally standard for the first new installment of any fighter. It's only with updates and sequels that they start to balloon. I can't think of many fighters that had more than 20 characters right from the get-go.

It's all about quality to me. If you add too many than it becomes nearly impossible to maintain an overall consistent level of quality, polish, and balance. I'll take 16 well-balanced and fleshed out fighters over 50 lackluster ones.

Quote:
It looks pretty tame the fighting.... About the same level as Smash Bros.
What do you mean by this, you mean the gameplay? Street Fighter is the granddaddy of all fighting games. This comment makes me wonder, have you played SF? What makes the series great is that it doesn't bury itself in gimmicks and bloat. It's straight, down-to-earth skill. Easy to pick up and play but still complex and a marvel to watch in high-level play.
Old 07-18-2015   #4
electronic456

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ View Post
You mean the story/background/personality? Personally I feel the beauty of Street Fighter is the straightforward but likeable nature of its characters. All of the lore and story elements are generally understated, but go together to make a cohesive whole. I prefer that approach to the drown-you-in-text style that some other series tend to go for, especially as most fighters tend to have weak storylines (King of Fighters and Tekken are probably high up there, though Tekken's story lost its way a bit in 5/6).

The character count is pretty low, but you have to realize that they basically redid the game from the ground up compared to SFIV. Roughly 16 characters is generally standard for the first new installment of any fighter. It's only with updates and sequels that they start to balloon. I can't think of many fighters that had more than 20 characters right from the get-go.

It's all about quality to me. If you add too many than it becomes nearly impossible to maintain an overall consistent level of quality, polish, and balance. I'll take 16 well-balanced and fleshed out fighters over 50 lackluster ones.
I meant story.... I don't have a clue about the personalities yet. Although I expect Cammy to be about the same as Sonya Blade. That's about it... I wonder what kind of evil is M.Bison.

Quote:
What do you mean by this, you mean the gameplay? Street Fighter is the granddaddy of all fighting games. This comment makes me wonder, have you played SF? What makes the series great is that it doesn't bury itself in gimmicks and bloat. It's straight, down-to-earth skill. Easy to pick up and play but still complex and a marvel to watch in high-level play.
To be honest... I haven`t picked up on SF in a long time... So I think what I just said was due to. not seeing the franchise evolve over the years. Also maybe I`m just absorbed into the the gory gameplay of MK.

Last edited by electronic456; 07-18-2015 at 06:02 PM.
electronic456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015   #5
Bauglir100

Quote:

Agreed. Street Fighter is fun because of its fluent control and memorable characters. I've only played a couple SF games, but I love them all the same.
Bauglir100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015   #6
Fulgore2005

Post Re: Street Fighter V

Capcom's plans for the DLC are… interesting.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/all.../1100-6429002/

Fulgore2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015   #7
Bauglir100

Any characters you hope get a comeback (besides those already announced)?

I personally would like to see Sawada and/or the Bison Troopers from Street Fighter: The Movie appear at some point. They'd be great additions if the right people worked on them.
Old 07-21-2015   #8
Metabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauglir100 View Post
Any characters you hope get a comeback (besides those already announced)?
Remy.
Old 07-21-2015   #9
NCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauglir100 View Post
I personally would like to see Sawada and/or the Bison Troopers from Street Fighter: The Movie appear at some point. They'd be great additions if the right people worked on them.
I think they're probably stuck in non-canon hell (just like the cast of Street Fighter EX). I seem to remember one of the troopers had this really weird ending that implied he was Guile's brother or something though. That game was weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metabad View Post
Remy.
Remy was cool. They didn't really get to do much with his character (since he was only ever in one game) but I liked his design and personality; he was like Capcom's take on Iori from KOF. That and his counter special made me favour him way more than Guile (whom, to be honest, I never really cared for), though I'd probably put him about on par with Charlie. One of the more mysterious Street Fighters. I wouldn't put him quite at the top compared to other SFIII characters (namely Alex and Urien) but he's always been up there for me.

Last edited by NCZ; 07-21-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-22-2015   #10
Bauglir100

Quote:
I think they're probably stuck in non-canon hell (just like the cast of Street Fighter EX). I seem to remember one of the troopers had this really weird ending that implied he was Guile's brother or something though. That game was weird.

True, but you gotta admit that it would be cool if Fei Long had Sawada's blue camo fatigues as an alternate costume. Same with Kevin Striker's space-suit for Ken (since Ken is the name of Kevin Striker in the English version of "Street Fighter 2010").

Not only was Blade (that trooper from "Street Fighter: The Movie") Guile's brother, but he was also Gunloc from "Slam Masters" in disguise. So I guess I ought to add Gunloc to my list of hopeful comebacks, too. And like with Sawada/Fei Long, his Bison Trooper armor could work as an alternate costume.

And since Charlie Nash is returning, maybe his incarnation from the movies and animated series (Carlos Blanka, that is) could be alternate skins for his character.

Then, add some stages based on the movie, the animated series, and "Street Fighter 2010", and you'll have what I call the "Street Fighter Legends" pack.

Last edited by Bauglir100; 07-22-2015 at 07:12 AM.