Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Site Helpers > Whose Voice is This?

Whose Voice is This? Heard a voice recently but can't figure out who provided it then post it here and let us help.

Old 02-01-2018   #21
A-Log

Default Re: Lupin the 3rd: The Mystery of Mamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalost View Post
I think Lupin's voice actor for the Frontier dub might be Tom Clark

Just listen to him as Dynos in Arc Ryse Fantasia, he has a similar accent to Lupin's:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qum1kAGkDfA

Even better, his profile on a Tokyo talent agency's website apparently mentions that he voiced for Lupin III!
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyofbladez View Post
Oh wow. That's some Super Big News!

I think you just solved a mystery. You're right; I really hear Lupin in that voice. I never would have thought Lupin's voice actor would still be active. Great work, you have a really good ear!
Well I'll... be... DAMNED! I think we found the very first English voice of Lupin III! And I thought 2018 couldn't get any better!
A-Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018   #22
Zalost

Call me crazy, but I think the Police Commissioner in the Frontier dub is also William Ross, I noticed in the Voltes V compilation film Draco has the same sort of gruffness as the Commissioner among other things.

I know the Voltes V film doesn't credit the voice actors, but Dr Richard Smith is quite obviously William Ross, and when Dr Smith raises his voice he sounds exactly the same as Draco, so you get the picture.

Last edited by Zalost; 02-15-2018 at 12:06 AM.
Zalost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018   #23
whyofbladez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalost View Post
Call me crazy, but I think the Police Commissioner in the Frontier dub is also William Ross, I noticed in the Voltes V compilation film Draco has the same sort of gruffness as the Commissioner among other things.

I know the Voltes V film doesn't credit the voice actors, but Dr Richard Smith is quite obviously William Ross, and when Dr Smith raises his voice he sounds exactly the same as Draco, so you get the picture.
I was thinking that myself, I'm not sure why I thought otherwise, because it seems so obvious. Ross easily had the most identifiable voice in Frontier's dubs.

I'm also pretty sure that whoever voices the Egyptian Police Chief also voices The Chief Secretary (ANN claims them to be Jeff Manning and Clay Lowrey respectively. Don't know about Manning, but I'm really sure it's not Lowrey. Manning may not have been in Japan at the time for that matter, though he was a church missionary there sometime in the late 70s so maybe.). Whoever voices them was surely Dr. Hook in the "Voltes V" compilation film.

I'm also not positive about Lanny Broyles being in the dub; especially since I found this page; https://shingakunet.com/gakko/SC0019...ei/9001119392/

He currently works as an English teacher in Japan (It's most likely him; I don't know how likely it is for two "Lanny Broyles" to be living in Japan; it's not as common a name as "Bob Johnson") where it mentions him having lived in Japan for 25 years and studied there for 5 years prior. This would place him in Japan starting in 1987 (this page seems to have sprung up in 2017; archive doesn't have anything prior to 2017) which seems about right since he started appearing in dubs done in/after 1987 ("Cyborg 009" / "Arcadia of My Youth").

One credit I think we can for sure discredit Broyles from is the Thug Guard; I noticed his yells sound really similar to Zenigata's which likely means that Greg Starr was also him.

Last edited by whyofbladez; 02-15-2018 at 01:07 AM.
whyofbladez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018   #24
whyofbladez

Having browsed through Frontier's dub of "Aladdin & the Wonderful Lamp", I feel certain that the voice actor (John Armstrong) for the title character did the voice of the U.S. President in the Frontier dub of "Mamo".

Compare:
https://youtu.be/ZW5LGbzl6jo?t=244 (Aladdin)
http://picosong.com/vA8G/ (President; at 0:19)

I'm beginning to think the President's voice actor changes later in the movie when Mamo calls him about launching the missiles; http://picosong.com/vAhs/
I believe the voice actor voicing the President in that scene also voices The Secretary talking to the President in the previous clip and the Egyptian Police Chief.

All I can say for sure now is that Armstrong (ironically enough) was the voice for Steve Armstrong in the "Voltes V" compilation film.

Last edited by whyofbladez; 06-25-2018 at 01:03 AM.
Old 07-31-2019   #25
Cone_anne

Mega bump. Curious, what was the source that said Ross voiced Goemon? I’ve heard his voice in other things and he’s pretty recognisable once you’ve heard him once but I’d be interested to know where it was said.
Cone_anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019   #26
A-Log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cone_anne View Post
Mega bump. Curious, what was the source that said Ross voiced Goemon? Ive heard his voice in other things and hes pretty recognisable once youve heard him once but Id be interested to know where it was said.
I recall that Reed Nelson (one of the Lupin III superfans) mentioning it in the Liner Notes on the DVD release for "Mystery of Mamo" on Discotek's DVD release.
A-Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019   #27
Cone_anne

I’m sure others have figured it out already, but in case they haven’t. In regards to Flinch in the Streamline dub, it’s definitely Winkless, the scream is the dead giveaway for me.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaAmUi3SCI4
Old 09-06-2019   #28
Cone_anne

Sorry for the double post. But the Scientist voice in the Frontier dub (to me) sounds like John Armstrong putting on some kind of voice more than anyone else I can think of.
Old 09-07-2019   #29
whyofbladez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cone_anne View Post
Sorry for the double post. But the Scientist voice in the Frontier dub (to me) sounds like John Armstrong putting on some kind of voice more than anyone else I can think of.
It's Don Johnson.

Edit: Though, looking back, I'm pretty sure Armstrong voices the Egyptian Officer (previously attributed to Walter Carroll).

Last edited by whyofbladez; 09-10-2019 at 08:40 PM.