Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > TV Discussion

TV Discussion Chat about your favorite shows and series here.

Old 03-04-2011   #1
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

Default Dragon Ball Kai

Discuss Dragon Ball Kai Here

Check out this link. It shows an interview with Takeshi Kusao (voice of Trunks):
http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewt...448908#p448908

-Kusao mentions that he hopes they could do the Buu Saga
-The interview says only four episodes are left
-A new show called Toriko is taking Kai's timeslot

So, best case scenario, Kai is on a break for a while, and the Buu Saga will come someday (and it'll come back on another time slot). Worst case scenario, Kai will end and skip Buu.

I'm disappointed if the latter is true. I liked the Buu Saga, and it's a shame that Funimation won't get the chance to redub it like with the other three sagas. Plus, it doesn't make sense to cut out a whole portion of the series. Apparently, it's because Kai wasn't too successful in Japan, but the goal was to be closer to the original, and tossing out a whole story is kind of missing the point.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Last edited by OptimusSolo; 09-13-2011 at 06:16 PM.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011   #2
Foxwolf
Web Admin

Default Re: Dragon Ball Z Kai might end with the Cell Saga

Yeah, I read this yesterday. I for one haven't actually watched Kai, having already watched the entirety of DBZ back in the late 90's.

When I first heard about Kai and saw the newly animated intro, I thought they were going to shorten the series with new animation. THAT, I would've watched. The fact that all they did was edit old footage and redub it didn't really interest me. I'm not surprised the ratings weren't that great.

I still have hope that one day they do a newly animated Dragon Ball show.
Old 03-04-2011   #3
NCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxwolf View Post
When I first heard about Kai and saw the newly animated intro, I thought they were going to shorten the series with new animation. THAT, I would've watched. The fact that all they did was edit old footage and redub it didn't really interest me. I'm not surprised the ratings weren't that great.

I still have hope that one day they do a newly animated Dragon Ball show.

I thought that was it too, so I was slightly disappointed when I saw the real thing. However, I'd like to say something that others have pointed out: the English dub needs Kai far more than the Japanese version does. In Japanese, to be honest, I can understand why it wasn't so successful. But the English dub of Z wasn't up to snuff with Funimation's other stuff. Some awkward voices here and there and strange translations. The Kai dub rectified all of that, so the fact that we won't see Buu redone in such a fashion is my main problem. If it weren't for the dub, I probably wouldn't care about it ending.

And if they do another Dragon Ball series, unlikely as that is, it should take place between the end of Z and the beginning of GT, with Uub and Goku as the main characters.
Old 03-24-2011   #4
BlueSky
Top Contributor

http://www.kanzentai.com/index.php?s..._from=&ucat=4&

It looks like the Cell Saga won't be concluded either, with episode 98 being cancelled. This is the episode where Trunks returns to his timeline, and destroyed cities and builldings are featured. What a deception.

Last edited by BlueSky; 03-24-2011 at 10:03 AM.
BlueSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #5
PurpleWarrior13

I'm honestly happy Kai is ending early. I thought it was an awful way to celebrate DBZ's 20th Anniversary. All they did is Frankenstein the actual anime. It's really nothing special. Plus the series isn't that popular here or in Japan (certainly not NEARLY as popular as the anime itself), so it would've just been a total waste of money to go on.

Plus it's not like the English dub improved THAT much, sure it did a little, but it got failed in some places that DBZ's English dub got right (Trunks' voice style, Gohan's voice, Bulma's voice, etc.) The Majin Buu saga's English dub was probably the best part about the English dub of DBZ (aside from the Cell Games Saga, which I thought had some great performances from Dameon Clarke, Stephanie Nadolny, and Eric Vale).

Plus the abridging of episodes is clumsy, as the different animation styles from episode to episode of the original anime are meshed together. Plus it removes a lot of character developement, and turns DBZ into a big mess. Now with the absense of the end of DBZ, it's an even bigger mess.

Kai just isn't worth it.
PurpleWarrior13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #6
penguintruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWarrior13 View Post
Plus it's not like the English dub improved THAT much, sure it did a little, but it got failed in some places that DBZ's English dub got right (Trunks' voice style, Gohan's voice, Bulma's voice, etc.) The Majin Buu saga's English dub was probably the best part about the English dub of DBZ (aside from the Cell Games Saga, which I thought had some great performances from Dameon Clarke, Stephanie Nadolny, and Eric Vale).
What? Kai's English dub is a vast, vast improvement on the previous DBZ dubs. The scripts are actually accurate, Gohan, Bulma, and Freeza's voices are good and performed by people who can actually act, Sean Schemmel's Goku is now tolerable, Chris Sabat doesn't suck anymore, there's a narrator that doesn't sound like he's announcing professional wrestling. No more of that synth-garbage replacement music. There's finally an English dub that does the material justice. It's not quite as good as the Japanese version, but nearly.

It certainly FAR outclasses even the Buu arc dub of DBZ.

Also, Dragon Ball Kai's ratings were good, it's just that the merchandise didn't sell well. DBZ is 20 years old and the anime market is saturated. People cared enough to watch on TV, they just weren't buying the pancake pan or the Muten Roshi tissue box anymore. Not when fanservice girl character has an action figure they can "hot glue".

Kai was a flawed product, but with a better pacing, it already removed DBZ's hugest flaw (aside from the crap English dub). It's a shame it won't be doing that with the Buu arc, which had quite a bit of padding.

Last edited by penguintruth; 03-24-2011 at 09:41 PM.
penguintruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #7
PurpleWarrior13

Ugh. Why do you follow me everywhere?

You're speaking to me as if I've never heard your stuff before, so I'm not even going to consider responding to your first couple paragraphs.

Kai's ratings were decent in the beginning, but in both America and Japan, they slipped later on. Though I guess Japan's were a bit better overall. NickToons hasn't been showing Kai NEARLY as much as it used to.

I never had any problem with the "filler". I thought it enhanced the series and gave it more depth. The only "filler" I never liked was some of the stuff during the Saiyan battle (Nappa going off randomly destroying things, etc). Plus most of it is easily skippable anyway.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13; 03-25-2011 at 03:41 PM.
PurpleWarrior13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #8
Jackson_H
Banned

Everyone knows Kai would've sold 100 times more if Toei actually reanimated the entire show but no point in complaining about what everyone already thought about.

Kai's dub IMO is an improvement on the Z dub but not in every aspect. I agree with some points both of you made and disagree on some points as well.

The Japanese version has never been that spectacular IMO so I didn't care about any of the weak acting (from old age) or cast changes in Kai.

No adaption or version of the anime is "the best" in my eyes. I still think the manga is better and hopefully one day there can be an adaption that is superior than it.

Some minor plot holes (even in the Japanese version of the anime) could be corrected in a new live-action franchise (done right!) and it could also have better continuity.

Unfortunately after the disaster that was Dragon Ball: Evolution it'll probably never happen now.

Upcoming Akira movie sounds like garbage too (but I'm not a huge fan of the anime film so I guess I don't really care if it sucks).
Jackson_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011   #9
pokemastanumba1

Default Re: Dragon Ball Kai

I definitely agree that the voice acting in Kai unfortunately isn't quite as good as it was in the original DBZ, but oh well. Cutting out all the filler more than makes up for that IMHO.

Last but not least, Nicktoons did announce in a commercial very recently that after the upcoming Kai marathon there will FINALLY be more new episodes! Dameon Clarke is just so badass as Cell that I'd definitely continue watching even if it's just to listen to his awesome voice.

Last edited by pokemastanumba1; 09-23-2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: correct errors
pokemastanumba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011   #10
NCZ

Default Re: Dragon Ball Kai

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemastanumba1 View Post
I think some of you are missing the whole point of Kai. The Buu saga is FILLER, people, it never occured in the manga nor was it even mentioned in the chapters that follow in the anime adaptation. Kai is a redub that is supposed to stay true to the manga, so including the Buu saga would just defeat its purpose.

I definitely agree that the voice acting in Kai unfortunately isn't quite as good as it was in the original DBZ, but oh well. Cutting out all the filler more than makes up for that IMHO.

Last but not least, Nicktoons did announce in a commercial very recently that after the upcoming Kai marathon there will FINALLY be more new episodes! Dameon Clarke is just so badass as Cell that I'd definitely continue watching even if it's just to listen to his awesome voice.
What? The Buu saga isn't filler. It was in the manga. Are you thinking of the Otherworld Tournament (with Pikkon)?