Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

View Poll Results: What would you think if Texas got more pre-lay work?
Hell yeah! It would be a breath of fresh air. (5 of 5) 9 69.23%
I'm buying into it. (4 of 5) 1 7.69%
Maybe. (3 of 5) 1 7.69%
Not really. (2 of 5) 1 7.69%
Absolutely not! It wouldn't work at all. (1 of 5) 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2014   #1
Domayv

Default If Texas got more Pre-lay work?

Though Texas does have some Pre-lay work, such as the SMITE, the Borderlands series and the first two Deux Ex games, it is rather minuscule compared to the number of ADR work it has. In this day and age, Texas would make a great alternative to California in the Pre-lay work department, as it could potentially open up a greater variety of voice talent pools to choose from (Texas has Dallas, Houston and Austin, as opposed to California's LA and the occasional Vancouver and New York City).

Notes:
* In Pre-lay work, the voices are recorded first. All the actors in a scene are gathered in a session, at multiple microphones. Sometimes the characters interact, other times the director will record lines from characters individually. A big advantage to this “pre-lay” system is getting to record with the other actors in a scene and play off each other. The animators craft the scene based on their takes, which gives the actors a much freer forum for performance. Domestic animation and video games (except for J-games) are Pre-lay. Pre-lay voice work pays more than ADR work and its pay rates are fixed.
* In ADR work, the voices are recorded after the animation. Each line is recorded individually (the footage is timecoded to synch up with the recording equipment and for script reference). ADR Work is easier to edit than "Pre-lay" work because they have to focus on so much during the dubbing of a scene. All anime and J-game dubs are ADR work. The most notable disadvantage is that one’s performance can be limited by the timing of the mouth flaps. ADR work pays less than Pre-lay work and is mostly non-union. This means the pay rate fluctuates and tends to be less than union rates (though union rate isn’t much better).

Advantages of Texas voice acting:
* Quality voice acting for cheaper prices compared to California. With less money spent, the overall budget of a production is lowered.
* No need to hassle with unions due to the state's Right-To-Work laws, allowing voiceover work to begin sooner.
* A more open and easy-to-access environment compared to California's (i.e. you can actually directly call up the company doing the casting auditions and have your name put on a list. Then, on audition day you go there and take your shot in person; This is the reason why California VAs such as Patrick Seitz, Carrie Savage and Christopher Corey Smith regularly appear on TX dubs).
* Texas potentially has more voice talent pools than California. California only has LA, whilst Texas has Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston and Austin, the former two of which are commonly used, and Warner Bros. and Sony Pictures are clients for Houston's Seraphim Digital.
Domayv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015   #2
Troodon2

Default Re: If Texas got more Pre-lay work?

That's what I've been trying to tell people!!

Bare in mind, while most animated shows in the united states are produced in the same country, the animation is in a separate region from the LA recording booths, so all the folks at funimation have to do is just record their voices for the production of the show, send it to the animators in the other region and let them animate their vocal performances for the show like any other production team does, and done.
Troodon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015   #3
PsychicVoiceSpy

As a Texan myself, I would LOVE for this to happen. If I ever do become a voice actor, I wouldn't be too keen on moving to another state. So if the amount of voice work and types of voice work expanded here, that would be great! And yeah, it'd be great to see more opportunities open up for the people working here who usually only do anime and the occasional video game.
PsychicVoiceSpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015   #4
CatsTuxedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domayv View Post
California only has LA,
Being nitpicky here, but that's not entirely true. There's been a few video games here and there that've been done in San Diego (like Soul Calibur II and Shadow of Memories), and the first Ape Escape's American dub was done in San Francisco. But yeah, even with those exceptions, Los Angeles seems to be the only place for Californian voice-acting.

Anyway, on the subject of Texas getting more pre-lay work, on the one hand it'd be nice to see LA getting some legit competition aside from Vancouver. But on the other, Texas has had just as much exposure in terms of anime dubbing as LA does in general pre-lay, so it's unlikely that Texas taking on LA in its own game will really bring anything (or anyone) new to the table.

Last edited by CatsTuxedo; 02-07-2015 at 06:11 PM.
CatsTuxedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015   #5
Domayv

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsTuxedo View Post
Anyway, on the subject of Texas getting more pre-lay work, on the one hand it'd be nice to see LA getting some legit competition aside from Vancouver. But on the other, Texas has had just as much exposure in terms of anime dubbing as LA does in general pre-lay, so it's unlikely that Texas taking on LA in its own game will really bring anything (or anyone) new to the table.
Pre-lay would actually bring more money to Texas VAs since it pays more than ADR. It also could explain why a bunch of Texas VAs are heading to California and doing voiceover work there: Texas VAs can't live on ADR alone because it doesn't pay as much compared to pre-lay, even if it has that many dubs on its table (this would also explain why LA VAs who are Funimation regulars such as Patrick Seitz do other things besides voiceover, such as scriptwriting and voice directing, to compensate for the overall lower pay that Texas ADR has compared to LA ADR). Also for the competition between LA and Vancouver in the voice acting world, that died down ever since the recession in LA's favor, so it's pretty much irrelevant at this point (Vancouver is still getting voiceover work, just at a severely reduced rate compared to the late 90s-early 2000s). The issue with the lack of pre-lay work at Texas is that most companies that make cartoons and games generally don't trust areas that aren't LA (especially if it's a right-to-work state like Texas) for those niches.

Also to mention on the subject of Texas getting just as much exposure to ADR as LA for pre-lay, anime dubbing began in LA earlier, and it was only in the mid-2000s that's when Texas became just as exposed to anime dubbing as LA for pre-lay thanks to the numerous amount of dubs being made over there.

Last edited by Domayv; 02-07-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Domayv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015   #6
Troodon2

Again, that's what I've been thinking.
Old 02-08-2015   #7
Gaddes

It would be neat, but I'm a realist, so it's certainly not going to happen anytime soon, if ever. The Unions have far too much say and would never let those voice gigs move out of a Union controlled area. It would certainly be cheaper, but Union politics would certainly put a stop to it.

Definitely correct though, the Texas ADR pay rates are appalling, i,e $50 an hour with no 2 hours minimum. It's not much better in L.A at $65-$75 an hour with a two hour minimum, but the video game work and pre-lay make it a worth while endeavor. Texas does a much lower standard of living and stuff is generally more affordable though. So, you can certainly live off of less and the the sheer volume of work that Funimation and the off hand video game make it perfectly do able.

Quote:
It also could explain why a bunch of Texas VAs are heading to California and doing voiceover work there
I'm sure Pre-lay plays a part, but video game work is the bread and butter work of a goodly portion of the L.A talent pool, well, minus the really big names such as Tom Kenny and such. One of my my all time favorite guys to listen to is Kyle Hebert. He's super up front about video game work. I remember he mentioned doing some background work on FF13 as a few soldiers and making $800 for 10 mins of work, which was the session pay grade for that project. The sheer amount of video games, pre-lay and the anime dub here and there do make L.A a worth while option for Funimation voice actors if they feel the want to dip their toes into wider project prospects.

All in all, yeah it would be really neat if the Funimation guys got to do some pre-lay (they do have some really good talent), but sadly the Unions wield a good deal of power, with several VA's as board members on the SAG board. Bob Bergen being a notable example. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more Funimation VA's make the move to L.A in the coming months and years.
Gaddes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015   #8
Autovolt

I'd be ok with it but as CatsTuxedo had already said, Texas has enough voice work as it is right now.

I'd rather New York gets more pre-lay work instead, the 4Kids western cartoons had some solid voice work.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015   #9
Troodon2

Bare in mind thou, that Anime is a "Cult" media in the US. While plenty of people outside of Japan like anime, it's not really popular, especially as popular as western animated shows and movies.

That's why Jim Cummings, Tara Strong, Kevin Michael Richardson, and even child actors like Zack Callison are so renown, because video games and cartoons (Especially Cartoons) that are made in the usa are more accessible and easier to market, and the actual actors in said games and programs themselves get to go crazy while recording their voices under the direction of Andrea Romano or the like.

So if the non-union actors are to up they're game, they have to go big or go home.
Old 02-08-2015   #10
DravenRoth994

I would LOVE to see that happen!! It would certainly give more notoriety to the likes of Sonny Strait, Jamie Marchi, Chris Sabat, and Colleen Clinkenbeard (In Colleen's case, she'd stop being cast constantly as the sexy secretary type character. As much as I love her, she gets that role way too often)!! I also agree with what Autovolt said about the New York actors, given that the only thing they really have nowadays is Pokémon. It's pretty disappointing to know ADR pays FAR less than Pre-lay (I didn't know there was a name for it until now actually).
DravenRoth994 is offline   Reply With Quote