Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Old 04-30-2015   #21
Slingshot

Default Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HienFan View Post
Funimation is okay but some of their voice choices can get pretty substandard(oh hi Roronoa Zoro) but I did love their Full Metal Alchemist work, not so much Yu Yu Hakusho, Shakugan no Shana or Keroro Gunso with had some pretty cheesy one liner and in Shana's case seems almost randomly casted

But I will give my two cent that OTHER dubs studios have a lot of hatred but I thought they could be very well casted or have distinctive works, I really like LA and 4Kids(including Pokemon USA) voice works
FUNimation's dub of FMA is, in my opinion, the perfect dub.
A lot of dubbing companies are mediocre, but 4Kids was downright terrible.
Slingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015   #22
Autovolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domayv View Post
Agreed with Shana. Whilst Josh Grelle and Cherami Leigh were fine for Yuji and Shana, respectively, most of the remainder is okay at best and poorly executed at worst. Additionally, much of the casting is incredibly haphazardly done (Greg Ayres sounded horrible as Keisaku Sato to the point that it basically desecrated Brad Swaile's version, and Micah being casted as Sorath, while fine on its own, Micah would have made an INFINITELY better fit for Keisaku than Greg since Micah is Dallas's answer to Brad Swaile. Additionally, Greg could have done Sorath instead of Keisaku and those two casting choices would have been much better than what was casted in the end). It seemed that Funi did that to get the series out as fast as possible (had the Geneon/Universal red tape BS not happen, then Funi might have been able to outsource the remainder to Ocean).
This is the reason why that if i ever get around to Shakugan no Shana, the later seasons I'm watching subbed.

Ocean really deserved to finish the series.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015   #23
Domayv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autovolt View Post
This is the reason why that if i ever get around to Shakugan no Shana, the later seasons I'm watching subbed.

Ocean really deserved to finish the series.
Then let again, it's pretty much Universal's fault for causing that delay in the first place, which in turn led to that rushed dub.

For Ocean dubbing the remainder nowadays, it's possible since the ratio's back to normal, but it's unlikely since it ended up going niche thanks to that delay and it pretty much has gone to S.A.V.E. territory (it doesn't help that Funi's release of season 1 doesn't have the season 1 OVA that Geneon's box set has, which is why I kept my season 1 set). Maybe if it got a Toonami deal (Shana is an action show but it's unlikely since it's years old), it MIGHT justify making an alternate track with the season 1 cast (LA's not viable since it's even more expensive than Vancouver) and possibly bring more sales (it could be boosted if Yen Press gets the novels given their success with LNs) but that's a huge high-risk gamble, especially with their broadcast dub venture eating up more of their resources.
Domayv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015   #24
HienFan

That's what irks me of some Funimation fans, most other dub houses have pretty good voice actors really, while I hate 4Kids censorships they got a lot of very talented people and some pretty good directions, I love their Sonic the Hedgehog work, Funimation is not one of the only houses(if not only) with good voice casting

Well Ocean tend to voice work a lot of sucky works(Johnny Test, Bratz, Star Ocean Ex...) especially nowadays thanks to the ratios we shall see if they can get something good now that ratio went back to normal

Also Josh Grelle is the only voice on Shana I prefer in the Funimation dub, too much strange casting(Okay so is Todd Haberkorn that one guy? He sounds too masculine for the design and while Kent William is not a bad choice for Alastor the voice they chose is too rough and high)
HienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015   #25
Domayv

Quote:
Originally Posted by HienFan View Post
while Kent William is not a bad choice for Alastor the voice they chose is too rough and high)
And here's the saddest part: Kent's Kozo Fuyutsuki from Evangelion sounded literally like Paul Dobson's Alastor, so Im wondering why they havent gone with that version.
Domayv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015   #26
Blink

Pretty much the same thing most hypsters feel. They think since there's already been an established thing, anything else trying to add on would make it worse.
Sad really. Most people who hate dubbing won't even listen to it.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015   #27
HeroRises143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingshot View Post
A lot of dubbing companies are mediocre, but 4Kids was downright terrible.
Disagree: they did a fantastic job with Pokemon and a decent job with Yu-Gi-Oh as well.
HeroRises143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015   #28
HienFan

I don't want to derail this into Shakugan no Shana topic but here's this: His Kuro proved that he could do a deep smooth voice makes it even worse

Though anyways on topic
I could say dubs done by English speaking people living in Japan is criminally underrated as well, they're generally slammed and I think they don't dub works anymore(it's usually Hong Kong that dubs Asian based dubs now), sad I really like their announcer roles and some of their work like Tekken 5, F-Zero, WinBack and the King of Fighters 12
Old 05-02-2015   #29
Slingshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domayv View Post
And here's the saddest part: Kent's Kozo Fuyutsuki from Evangelion sounded literally like Paul Dobson's Alastor, so Im wondering why they havent gone with that version.
Most of Kent's roles sound the same. Compare Fuyutski to Father in FMA:B and you'll automatically recognize that Kent is doing their voices.
He and Gendo's voice actor (John Swasey?) sound very similar and a lot of Eva fans were disappointed about that.
It's funny that he and Gendo's voice actor have played characters that interact with each other (soul eater, FMA:B, Eva).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hienfan View Post
That's what irks me of some Funimation fans, most other dub houses have pretty good voice actors really, while I hate 4Kids censorships they got a lot of very talented people and some pretty good directions, I love their Sonic the Hedgehog work, Funimation is not one of the only houses(if not only) with good voice casting.
They had some good people here and there, but they misused their talent. They turned serious battles into an attempt at comedy. You also had inexperienced VA's playing a few roles, and another va who played a few roles before voicing a character, and the end product didn't sound like it's in the same environment. I understand they don't do roles together, but the casting director has to make sure they at least put some effort into their lines.
And the voice actor of the Mohji from One Piece in the 4Kids dub... Oh man was he bad.

Last edited by Slingshot; 05-02-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Slingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015   #30
HienFan

Now while the product of 4Kids actor can REALLY depend but frankly it's true for any voice acting period