Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > General Topics > Dream Casts

Dream Casts Be the Voice Director and cast your favorite voices for different shows, movies or games!

Old 10-03-2016   #11
Troodon2

Default Re: Who could pull off a Gintama Dub?

I suppose Scott Porter should make another good alternative.
Troodon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016   #12
huzaifa_ahmed
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troodon2 View Post
I suppose Scott Porter should make another good alternative.
Still too high I think. Maybe Alan Tudyk? I havent seen the show, only read the comics, so I'm mostly going off where I've heard the Japanese cast elsewhere.

Since this was announced to go to Canada, I think Trevor Devall would be perfect. However, this show runs forever & a lead role is too much to just Skype over since he lives in LA now. Although they did it for Johnny Test, that show (ironically) had a FAR higher budget than this seeing as it was a network-aired domestic show & most anime isnt Hollywood-network-supported but is instead invested entirely into Japan & given barebones international releases. I think maybe Afro Samurai, IGPX, Animatrix, & maybe the Marvel anime & Tekkonkinkreet werent treated this way. & it is the long-&-short of why anime dubs are so incredibly cheap - they're just there so as to not immediately turn off curious casuals, as opposed to a serious voice-over production.

Many video games avoid this issue because the consoles are Japanese-owned, so they have more incentive to invest in our audience & splurge on a good dub. I mean the dub for Asura's Wrath, Final Fantasy 12, Hot Shots Golf, Resonance of Fate, White Knight Chronicles, & Dark Cloud 2 are all awesome. Heck, many PlatinumGames games are done *in* English with often no Japanese dub.

But I'm ranting.
huzaifa_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016   #13
SNaG

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa_ahmed View Post
I believe we've disussed on Reddit that this is going to be union in Vancouver, aka THE most expensive dubbing option (that isnt flat-out paying animation rates like Ghibli or Laws of the Universe). If this were union in LA, I believe the castings would be a but more diverse than that. New Generation Pictures & NYAV seemed to be pretty diverse, as is Studiopolis.

I havent seen this show outside the old Jump printing...it was before the anime even released, so it was impossible to localize that well.

I hear a lot of praise for Sugita's performance, but I only ever read the comics, so yeah..

As a gag casting, I would use Billy West, seeing as this show is like the Japanese equivalent of Futurama.

John DiMaggio would in fact be a legit Hijikata actually, as a counterpart to Kazuya Nakai (Wakka & Gilgamesh).

I'll make a list of my own after actually watching this series.
I remember we did discuss that on Reddit, yeah (small world). However, this is obviously a *dream cast*, and despite that listing, I think it's still likely that Crunchyroll will balk and go to Funi because of their partnership and all. If that announcement didn't happen I would have believed the Vancouver thing you told me about is what's going to happen. However, the partnership has caused me to second guess where Gintama will be dubbed.

Either way, I think the dub would be great in Vancouver or with a serious Funi cast (not a huge fan of the way Sentai handled the movie, personally, though I did think Chris Patton acted well and Luci Christian was a good Kagura). I'm just not too familiar with the Vancouver scene since I've only seen a couple of Canada dubs (Death Note, Black Lagoon), but I've seen dozens of LA dubs and played dozens more of games dubbed in LA. As a result, it's easier for me to come up with an extensive cast based on LA alone.

And while it's a huge time-sink, I fully recommend Gintama if you like screwball comedy and good action. It's a series that heavily improves over time.
SNaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016   #14
huzaifa_ahmed
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNaG View Post
I remember we did discuss that on Reddit, yeah (small world).
Yeah, between reddit animedubs, AniTwitter (like VA followers & people from Kanzenshuu, as well as MilesExpress, NJ, GWOtaku, etc.), ANN, this site, Fandom Post English Track, I have noticed people that frequent various sites. Niche community I suppose. It's a little jarring w/GravityPriest, VegettoEX, & to an extent AnimeAjay who hate dubs entirely, frequently popping up. But I guess variety is the spice of life.

Quote:
I think it's still likely that Crunchyroll will balk and go to Funi because of their partnership and all. If that announcement didn't happen I would have believed the Vancouver thing you told me about is what's going to happen. However, the partnership has caused me to second guess where Gintama will be dubbed.
I think that FUNi gets distribution rights. They're trying to avoid fighting over licenses as such small companies when titans like Netflix & Amazon dip their toes in anime. Common enemy. I'm surprised that CR was going to Ocean aka the GOAT expensive dubbing studio, but I suppose it WAS their biggest show.

That being said, it doesn't seem to be that anime companies really care about dubs, they're just tacked-on language options to avoid scaring away casuals. All licensing companies care about is "rights". So we'll either get a typical FUNi dub or (if we're **** lucky & the dub already went through) a union Vancouver dub. It would be a slap in the face to me if the dub was already significantly the way through & they pulled out because FUNi thought that dub quality didn't matter & they'd do a usual cheap FUNi dub. I mean it rubs me the wrong way when awesome shows like OPM, HxH, & Gundam beat live-action premieres & barely even get a budget for their dub.

Especially when FUNi, a company that prides itself on dubbing. uses actors who are only doing it for training & often would rather be doing something else that pays better.

Quote:
I'm just not too familiar with the Vancouver scene since I've only seen a couple of Canada dubs (Death Note, Black Lagoon)
Ocean Group dubbed .hack/Roots, Escaflowne, Gits Laughing Man & Individual 11, Girl WHo lept thru Time, Gundam original, Gundam Wing, Gundam 00, Char's Counterattack, SEED, Hamtaro, Nana, Hikaru no Go, Infinite Ryvius, InuYasha, JinRoh, Ranma 1/2, Megaman, Megaman NT Warrior, Sword of the Stranger, & the upcoming World Trigger.

They've also recorded Hollywood animation, such as X-Men Evolution (Brad Swaile as Nightcrawler!), Cybersix, 90s Megaman, several Marvel OVA's, & other stuff.

Their non-union studio Blue Water is..not great, more comparable to Sentai or ADV, & Toronto dubbed Sailor Moon way back.

Call me presumptuous, but I think most of us w/Toonami & Kids WB saw a TON of their work.

Quote:
And while it's a huge time-sink, I fully recommend Gintama if you like screwball comedy and good action. It's a series that heavily improves over time.
I view most things at 4x speed, so it's generally never an issue XD

I'll get to it at some point.

Last edited by huzaifa_ahmed; 10-05-2016 at 12:04 AM.
Old 10-27-2016   #15
SNaG

Thought about it some more and I wanted to edit my cast some! Changes in bold.

Quote:
  • Gintoki Sakata - Crispin Freeman
  • Shinpachi Shimura - Lucien Dodge or Erik Kimerer
  • Kagura - Cassandra Morris or Marieve Harrington
  • Tae "Otae" Shimura - Carrie Keranen
  • Kotaro "Zura" Katsura - David Vincent
  • Taizo Hasegawa - Dan Woren
  • Isao Kondo - Patrick Seitz
  • Toshiro Hijikata - Chris Tergliafera
  • Sogo Okita - Kyle McCarley
  • Sagaru Yamazaki - Todd Haberkorn
  • Katakuriko Matsudaira - Skip Stellrecht
  • Ayame Sarutobi - Kari Wahlgren
  • Kyubei Yagyu - Brina Palencia
  • Tsukuyo - Janice Kawaye
  • Otose - Barbara Goodson
  • Tama - Mela Lee
  • Zenzo Hattori - Steve Blum
  • Ayumu Toujo - Richard Cansino
  • Tatsuma Sakamoto - Matt Mercer
  • Mutsu - Amanda Miller
  • Shinsuke Takasugi - Liam O'Brien
  • Kamui - Bryce Papenbrook
  • Umibozu - Jamieson Price
  • Shigeshige Tokugawa - Johnny Yong Bosch
  • Isaburo Sasaki - Keith Silverstein or Paul St. Peter (completely different voices, but both takes would be interesting...)
  • Nobume Imai - Cherami Leigh
  • Prince Hata - Sam Riegel (plugging his nose...)
  • Nobunobu Hitotsubashi - Kaiji Tang
  • Shoyo Yoshiya - Neil Kaplan

That's all I got, though I think I hit most of the big ones.
Old 11-01-2016   #16
ConfusedPhantom

I like the idea of Crispin Freeman being Gintoki. He's incredibly good in more laidback and comedic roles.

However, it's kind of very hard to dub Gintama, considering how ridiculously Japanese it is in its humor. I kind of feel they'd have to take a SGT. Frog approach.
ConfusedPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016   #17
Autovolt

Ocean is most likely going to do the Gintama dub based off of some past information. http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/...ad.php?t=18045

I really want to hear Michael Adamthwaite as Gintoki. His performance as Nanashi I think shows he can play a cool swordsman and Michael is just as capable of voicing comedic roles, put two and two together and I think we have a perfect casting choice here.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016   #18
huzaifa_ahmed
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedPhantom View Post
I like the idea of Crispin Freeman being Gintoki. He's incredibly good in more laidback and comedic roles.

However, it's kind of very hard to dub Gintama, considering how ridiculously Japanese it is in its humor. I kind of feel they'd have to take a SGT. Frog approach.
His Japanese actor is the same as Kyon & Hideki from Chobits, & they may share certain qualities beyond their voice.

As for the adaptation, Sgt. Frog is a good comparison, but Bobobobobobo is even better. Maybe Space Dandy but thats a different scenario. Bobobobobobobo is definitely an anime I have heard from sub fans, the dub is a better experience.
Old 11-03-2016   #19
SNaG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autovolt View Post
Ocean is most likely going to do the Gintama dub based off of some past information. http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/...ad.php?t=18045

I really want to hear Michael Adamthwaite as Gintoki. His performance as Nanashi I think shows he can play a cool swordsman and Michael is just as capable of voicing comedic roles, put two and two together and I think we have a perfect casting choice here.
I think the Ocean dub will sound great. Michael Adamthwaite sounds like a rock solid choice, especially given his baritone. I'm not very familiar with the talent pool in Vancouver, but the handful of dubs I've seen out of there are impressive. Even though I like the cast I came up with, I feel that Ocean would do a rock solid job that would satisfy me...

...given good dub writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedPhantom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa_ahmed View Post

As for the adaptation, Sgt. Frog is a good comparison, but Bobobobobobo is even better. Maybe Space Dandy but thats a different scenario. Bobobobobobobo is definitely an anime I have heard from sub fans, the dub is a better experience.

Yeah, Bobobo's dub is excellent, but that's due to excellent script writing. It provides a good jumping off point into discussing why Gintama is viable to adapt but not a cakewalk.

Many, many jokes are lost in translation. Not every joke is, like some good movie references, but a decent chunk of the references are.

Some can be worked around. Puns can be rewritten without loss of meaning: MADAO, a Japanese acronym to refer to Hasegawa that means marude damena ossan (useless old man) is translated by Crunchyroll as "Middle aged dumbass oldie," keeping the spirit alive while avoiding changing the acronym. Other jokes rely on visual gags, so they can still be hilarious even if the nuances of the reference are lost. Some may pose problems and could be completely lost, like the jokes "Ketsuno Ana" or "Hanano Ana" (look them up) or Kagura's -aru suffix.

All of these need a fairly deft scriptwriter to understand how to adapt it. I'd say that's at least as important as good casting, if not more so. Even if we have a bangup cast, if the series isn't handled right, the comedy could be lost and the performances could fall flat.
Old 07-25-2017   #20
itsmedeadpool

If FUNimation dubbed Gintama with their regular bundle of actors (I'm won't cast the Sentai Filmworks Movie's dub's actors for their respective roles). I haven't watched much of Gintama, but this is an English Cast I would approve (even with actors that made name for themselves this year (2017)):

Gintoki Sakata - Robert McCollum

Shinpachi Shimura - Josh Grelle

Kagura - Cherami Leigh

Kotaro Katsura - Eric Vale

Tae Shimura - Leah Clark

Ayame Sarutobi - Clarine Harp

Isao Kondo - Justin Cook

Toshiro Hijikita - Ian Sinclair

Sogo Okita - Austin Tindle

Sagura Yamazaki - Clifford Chapin

Kyubei Yagyu - Caitlin Glass

Taizo Hasegawa - Christopher R. Sabat

Prince Hata - Greg Ayres

Last edited by itsmedeadpool; 07-26-2017 at 04:15 AM.