Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > TV Discussion

TV Discussion Chat about your favorite shows and series here.

Old 01-08-2015   #161
Polyester Funk

Default Re: Transformers: Robots in Disguise (2015)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx94 View Post
I didn't know Kevin Michael Richardson was going to be in it. Will he be playing Bulkhead again or a new character?
Kevin is a new character named, Terrashock. He's a bull-like Decepticon from what I read.
Polyester Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015   #162
Autovolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMirage View Post
I'm really surprised that Steve Blum isn't a character in the show yet. With all of the new characters appearing and all-star VAs getting involved, you'd think Blum would be there, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Meister View Post
Maybe he's busy?
I think he'll show up sooner or later. If Starscream is indeed 100% dead after Predacons Rising I could at least see him reprising Darksteel if the character shows up later or Heatwave if we get the Rescue Bots make an appearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domayv View Post
They could get Keith Silverstein as an alternative to Blum if he's unavailable due to being too busy with other projects since he has a very similar vocal range to Blum's. Keith's appeared in cartoons before so they could cast him in this one.
I for one think Keith Silverstein would make a killer Barricade if he used his Yusuke Amade voice from the Viz Sailor Moon dub. It's a bit gruff but it's really cool which to me fits Barricade.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015   #163
Troodon2

Quote:
Originally Posted by autovolt View Post
i think he'll show up sooner or later. If starscream is indeed 100% dead after predacons rising i could at least see him reprising darksteel if the character shows up later or heatwave if we get the rescue bots make an appearance.
i refuse to believe starscream is dead!!!!
Troodon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015   #164
Autovolt

I saw the first two episodes in English thanks to the Australian premiere and the power of the internet. There will be spoilers so be warned. I recommended watching it first.

I have to say this show's already off to a great start

I'll start with the negatives.

I think the pacing in the first episode is pretty bad actually, you really need to watch the first two episodes back to back to really enjoy it. How every gets set up is kind of mediocre and could have been done is a more fluid way.

Fixit's whole mispronouncing words gimmick....that really needs to be nipped in the bud real quick. He's probably my least favourite at the moment.

the frame rate animation is way too slow for my liking, it needs to be increased a little bit more. It doesn't flow as naturally as I'd like it to be.

Optimus Prime's suddenly coming back at the end to save the day and defeating Underbite was very forced and no real reason is given to why he showed up at the end outside of it's part of the universes plan or something like that. At least this show will be about Bumblebee for the most part.

Now on to the Positives:

The new team is fantastic and has a lovable amount of dysfunctional kind of like the Maximals or the TFA Autobots. Bumblebee is the tryhard young leader, Strongarm is the uptight young cadet, Sideswipe is a delinquent punk, Fixit is scrambled scatterbrained little minicon and Grimlock is a bombastic brute.

Denny and Russell are so far very likeable as human characters go. It seems like Denny and Russell's mother are divorced or separated. Russell is the kind of kid who just wants more excitement in life...like we haven't seen that before but I think Stuart Allen's performance is making him more likeable to me than if it was someone else doing the voice. Denny's occupation of working at a scrapyard makes for a neat occupation and a good setting for a Autobot base. He could easily be this generations Sparkplug Witwicky. His shirt it very tacky though.

Denny has a truck that is eerily similar to that old pickup truck that was seen in the background every so often in Transformers: Prime. I have a theory that Denny was the one in that truck the whole time back then.

Sideswipe and Russell make a great human partner duo, very reminiscent of the human/autobot duos of Prime. I'm surprised how much more likeable they are than they appear at first glance.

Grimlock is basically Cyborg as a T-Rex and it's awesome. Khary's voice is a little bit deeper than you'd usually expect from him and it works well. I'd love it if he could someday tackle a more aggressive Hulk like Grimlock. I'm very interested to know how he became a Decepticon.

Underbite is a great first episode antagonist. He's a gluttonous body builder who needs to eat to keep his strength up. He constantly brags about the fact that HE ATE A WHOLE CITY! I hope we see more of him. He's very unique as a character for this franchise.

The voice work. Everyone is great here, the standouts to me were Darren Criss as Sideswipe, Khary Payton as Grimlock, Stuart Allen as Russell and Liam O'Brien as Underbite. Jamie Simone is back as the voice director for Transformers returning from his duties he did back in Prime. Even though Peter Cullen is still bland and stoic like he usually is, everything else is great just like his direction for Prime.

Fixit's Michael Jackson reference was funny. I'll give him that.

Optimus's speech to Bumblebee, it's such an Optimus thing of him to do but it's a nice words of encouragement that will go a long way to Bumblebee's character development.

It was fun. The most important thing to have out of a cartoon. I can tell the show will improve tenfold as it progresses. I want to believe this could become the best Transformers cartoon yet.
Old 02-22-2015   #165
Autovolt

Ok so episode 3 has already aired in Australia so I'll post down my thoughts.

The episode starts off with the Autobots doing trust exercises. Strongarm and Sideswipe continue to let the other one fall all the while Bumblebee is being carried in Grimlock's arms. Bumblebee and Grimlock have gotten rather chummy in such a short time.

Grimlock still has his Decepticon insignia. I wonder how much longer will it be till he's a full fledged Autobot.

Steeljaw and Hammerstrike both make their debut appearances in this episode. When Steeljaw makes his introduction to Strongarm he lies as being a prison guard ship on the Alchemor and says he just wants to live in peace on Earth. Steeljaw has this charismatic manipulative presence to him and he's voiced very nicely by Troy Baker the current voice acting king. I love his voice for Steeljaw. It's cool, deep and makes for a nice villain voice.

Hammerstrike is a Sharkticon pirate who wants to rule the Earth's oceans. He also feels ashamed of walking on land and seems to despise all land-dwellers and their trickery. Hammerstrike is voiced by long time Transformers alumni David Kaye. David's voice for Hammerstrike is essientially a lighter version of his Lugnut/Hardshell voice. (much like John DiMaggio as Leadfoot and Crosshairs, almost all of David Kaye's current Transformers role are reusing the same voice type). It works well for Hammerstrike and actually reminds me more of Robin Atkin Downes voice.

At times I kind of wish David Kaye was voicing Steeljaw instead because it would have made a neat callback to him voicing Savage/Noble in Beast Machines. Troy could have probably worked as Hammerstrike in a voice similar to his Ulik from Avengers EMH.

Steeljaw is believe it or not the first main antagonist in a western Transformers cartoon that isn't Megatron/Galvatron. That is actually both cool and sort of depressing to realize. He is now their #1 most wanted fugitive. Congrats Steeljaw!

Grimlock is hilarious in this episode, he doesn't swim in water he just sinks, also he just wants to punch Hammerstrike and is sad he almost didn't get the chance to do so. There is also the part when he and Bumblebee are on the motorboat.

Sideswipe coming up with Decepticon identity to trick Steeljaw. His name is Grim.....Bee.

Ted McGinely does an additional voice as a Swedish sounding person at a oil refinery who makes a distress call when Hammerstrike attacks off screen.

The ending scene with Strongarm and Sideswipe is funnier to me because when I saw the first screenshots of this episode almost two months ago thanks to the chinese first release of the 13 episodes It looked like Strongarm was groping Sideswipe. I don't know where they're dynamic will lead to but i hope it's continues to be funny.

For a 3rd episode this is really good and definitely is kicking off a overarching story arc with Steeljaw in the centrefold.
Old 02-28-2015   #166
Autovolt

Episode 4 has premiered in English.

This episode is called More Than Meets the Eye *groans* Honestly I don't feel like it fits this episode at all. I don't know what else I would have called it but it certainly wouldn't have been a overused title for this franchise.

That being said this episode is great. Fixit and Russell gets some major focus. Fixit wants to get into the field and help the rest of the Autobots out while Russell tries to make new friends.

Episode starts off with the Autobots fighting Bisk a losbter looking Decepticon whose obsessed with gaming making all sorts of references. He's kind of annoying in all honesty but he's decent enough fighter in all fairness.

While they are fighting Bisk there is a Groundskeeper (voiced by Mitchell Whitfield) who comes back to see that his golf course is ruined. This reminds me a lot of Kelly from the original RID/Car Robots series whose whole life is a misfortune thanks to the Transformers showing up.

The episode makes references to Megatron, Starscream, Dark Energon and Alpha Trion's beard. Hooray for continuity callbacks.

Bumblebee's current alt. mode is revealed to be a Griffin Motors 1995 Windblazer, which is heavily different from the Urbana 500 he was in Prime. I love these fictional names for automobiles. It makes the world feel a bit bigger. I also love that this show now is able to accommodate more character models. That was a major downside to the top notch animation Prime had. Focused so well on the fluid animation but in a dead empty environment. I will admit I'd prefer if the frame rate was faster and a little nicer looking but i'll take quantity.

Fixit talking about what kind of fun he used to do being the only person on the Alchemor. He did nothing....wow Fixit is a lot more depressing than he lets on.

Denny suggests to Russell he go and check out the local football field and make friends with the new kids. Here we are introduced to Hank (her real name is Henrietta) voiced by Bailey Gambertoglio and she's a total tomboy. Right from the get go I can tell she will be a recurring character a friend for Denny and a possibly love interest down the line. I like her personality already. I wouldn't mind if she found out about The Autobots someday soon.

The whole part with Russell is pretty predictable but I can understand why they did this, I mean he is a kid who moved to a new city and so far for friends he has his dad and the Autobots but he needs human friends naturally.

Chop Shop then steps on the scene stealing parts from an airfield and he has a unique character design. He's a combiner composed of 5 robotic spiders. The spiders don't seem to speak individually save for one, they seem to be all hive-minded. I also like that Chop Shop has four eyes in his combined mode. Chop Shop is voiced by David Hunt who speaks in a cockney(ish) accent. I sort of think he's miscast. I don't think the voice actually fits that well. I would have went with a more insectish kind of voice. Someone like John Kassir or Charlie Adler would have been more appropriate.

Chop Shop's plan is to build a ship so he can leave Earth and the last thing he needs is liquid oxygen so The Autobots get Denny and Fixit to go on a mission to the nearest manufacturing plant disguising as safety inspectors. Fixit wears a coat and a fedora. It's rather hilarious. I love the enthusiasm Denny has going on this mission. Seriously Denny is one of the best characters in the show. Usually most adults in Transformers are well adult, Denny is like a manchild...perhaps that's why his wife left him.

Cutting back to Denny and Grimlock back at the scrapyard. Denny wants to quit football but Hank shows up to talk him in continuing and with little time to hide Grimlock is in plain sight but Hank thinks its a dinosaur statue...talk about a close save. Russell kicks his football helmet in frustration and it turns out he can kick very well.

While they confront Chop Shop, they stop one of the spider limbs from combining back into Chop Shop making him lose his right arm so he then uses Fixit as a replacement arm...however Fixit ends up taking advantage of this and punchs the crap out of Chop Shop's face and Chop Shop is frozen by the liquid oxygen.

The episode ends with Denny and The Autobots looking on as Russell plays football. It screams something out a cartoon in the 80's and 90's. This show embraces the cheese factor. I'm glad they got to start focusing on Fixit, I like him more after this episode.
Old 02-28-2015   #167
Domayv

@Autovolt: What website do you use to watch the episodes?
Domayv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015   #168
Autovolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domayv View Post
@Autovolt: What website do you use to watch the episodes?
The TFW2005 boards has a page where they link you to torrents and or watch it on Dailymotion. It's how I've been able to watch it so far.

So W.W.O.D? has aired. It stands for What Would Optimus Do.

Essentially Bumblebee struggles to find his footing leading his team so he tries to emulate Optimus Prime meanwhile a museum has discovered a stasis pod so the Autobots go to the museum to retrieve it.

This episode is hilarious in pretty much every way and has some great character development for Bumblebee.

Bumblebee is struggling with leading his team, they don't listen to him the same way that Bumblebee and his fellow Team Prime comrades with Optimus back in Prime. It really shows just how different both series tones are.

Bumblebee's constant emulation of Optimus Prime whether it'd be in terms of speech, mannerism or using the word teamwork. It's hilarious, though Sideswipe thinks he's impersonating Starscream? Umm a huh? Clearly Sideswipe has never met Starscream.

Sideswipe giving Strongarm a wet willy.

Once they find out on the news about the stasis pod at the Crown City Museum of Natural History and Sciences. Denny and Russell pretend to impersonate being Indiana Jones like archaeologists so they can get in to the museum. Their names are Nevada Fleeber and McPlank. Seriously Denny and Russell are already some of the best humans in the whole franchise. This is essentially the father/son dynamic this franchise had tried so many times and never really succeed.

Bumblebee explaining to the rest of the Bots who the Cowboys were, naturally they don't get it. Bumblebee also brings up that he's learned many things at museums before. Bumblebee did go to a museum in the Prime episode Deus Ex Machina. Seriously I am loving the continuity references.

Russell is the one who finds the stasis pod and out comes Terrashock a Buffaloid voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson (Prime Bulkhead), and Kevin's voice for Terrashock is totally not a Bulkhead rehash like most of his roles tend to be. It's far closer to his voice used for Juggernaut and Bulldozer in Ultimate Spider-Man. It's awesome and perfect for the character. It makes me hope Bulkhead comes back as early as Season 2, I'd love to see him and Terrashock duke it out.

Terrashock apparently worked for Contrail.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Contrail

This guy the tf wiki believes, talk about a obscure reference. I'm hoping Contrail shows up later on.

Terrashock is a terribly dense bull whose too stupid to think on his own without guidance so he just keeps on smashing things to find his way out.

When Terrashock escapes its make a huge scene outside and in which Denny covers the whole existence of The Transformers by saying they are faulty anamatronics....5 episodes...5 episode till they're cover is nearly blown (for a show where they chose to be in disguise). That's an academy record! (I had to make a MLP reference, sue me. :p)

Optimus finally shows himself to Bumblebee and tells Bumblebee he's not him and vanishes quickly. Apparently Optimus can only show himself when the other Primes believe he's truly needed. He leaves before finishing his sentence so it comes off rather hurtful to Bumblebee. Luckily Russell understood exactly what Prime meant that Bumblebee just needs to do what he would do as a leader.

Bumblebee takes a page from the cowboys and in how they round up Terrashock knocking him off his rampage on to a closed exit ramp where Grimlock does a cannonball to subdue him. Russell keeps their cover saying it was a promotion for a stunt rally. Seriously I am amazed how people's suspension of belief works in Crown City but hey it's still season 1. it's Too Early for That.

So the team rides in to the sunsets like the cowboys they are with Terrashock in tow. Perfect, also it fits with the Indiana Jones references too.

Overall an awesome episode with so many great comedic moments, it makes you feel a little bit nostalgia for Prime with all the call backs and Bumblebee is continuing to prove that he's a worthy Autobot leader.
Old 03-02-2015   #169
SupremeTarantulas

Liam's Underbite is my favorite performance so far, but enjoying thi, even if the designs for the humans bug me it, look a bit a animesh or something. Grimlock is my favorite of the main heroes Like how he isn't evil, or wanting revenge, just programmed wrong IMO. No Decepticon would be introduced a playing hero right away like that, and the first he did was try to save humans from Underbite.

Last edited by SupremeTarantulas; 03-06-2015 at 01:39 PM.
SupremeTarantulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015   #170
Autovolt

Here are my thoughts on today's new episode. The episode is called As the Kospego Commands!

I have to say this is an interesting episode to see as it deals with a cult, a cult that worships a creature called The Kospego...based on the Wendigo. Such an obscure mythical creature to pay homage to, it reminds me a bit of how in Transformers: Cybertron how many of the ancient Decepticons actually inspired myths and legends.

Meanwhile Bumblebee has to deal with Sideswipe not being a team player, Fixit almost got crushed by stasis pods as Sideswipe is listening and dancing to his music. The best part is when Bumblebee listens to his music.

The cult arrives with a demand getting a bunch of components and a generator under the impressions its to create an alter, Bumblebee luckily warns Denny and Russell that they shouldn't because it looks like This Kospego is building a space bridge.

The main guy in the cult Arnold is voiced by Troy Baker....I thought it was Mitchell Whitfield voicing him while watching the episode. Well it could be worse...it could be Troy Baker getting overcast voicing every second character like in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Strongarm shows up coming back from the Alchemor with a multi-purpose weapon called the Decepticon Hunter....Most Original name ever right? It adapts to the wielder's desire...it doesn't seem to work naturally for Strongarm, Sideswipe makes a quick burn that she can't think. Poor Denny as Strongarm tries it out it destroys all of his retro fridges.

The Autobots head out to the local dam which is the only other generator in the whole area to guard it, Grimlock and Sideswipe are guarding but Sideswipe goes off on his one to listen and dance to his music and that's when the Kospego strikes knocking out Grimlock silly and steals the generator.

Sideswipe gets chewed out for abandoning Grimlock and Strongarm has to take a dazed Grimlock back to the scrapyard...Grimlock thought he could fly.

Bumblebee and Sideswipe go to the site where the worshipers are pretending to be Kospego's to scare the humans off....Arnold then comments why do the legendary creatures hate trees so much.

Finally Enter Thunderhoof voiced by none other than Frank Stallone, Sylvester's younger brother who gives him a mafia boss like voice. As typical as it sounds for a gangster it's a great fit. He looks like a deer with the antlers and turns into a farming tractor. Easily one of the most unique characters this show has had yet. I mean he's a Robot Mafia Wendigo Tractor. It's such a bizarre combination and yet It works.

Thunderhoof wants to build the space bridge so he can finally return to Cybertron and reclaim his criminal empire. Bumblebee naturally is against it but Sideswipe actually thinks it's a great idea, he wants off Earth and this might be his only chance to go back home.

Unfortunately then once they turn on the space bridge it begins to be a ominous purple colour like a black hole sucking in everything including Thunderhoof. Luckily Bumblebee and Sideswipe get the generator to go in to the space bridge to have it implode on the inside.

Bumblebee and Sideswipe then talk, Bee thought Sideswipe was going to double cross him but Sideswipe admits he's part of the team and that he hasn't been acting like on....will he actually grow from this point on....time will tell. They could just keep having him be like Miko till they actually bother. They then question where Thunderhoof ended up to.

Thunderhoof emerges out of the black hole still on Earth, however he encounters Steeljaw who immidaitaley slashes his Decepticon insignia and offers him to join up with him.

We then lastly cut to Arnold and the cult looking for Sideswingo and Bumbeego. They didn't need to do that last part but it's a perfect way to end the episode.

Thunderhoof is a great villain and I'm glad that he wasn't captured so soon and Steeljaw makes his second appearance....Once again Troy Baker's line delivery is fantastic. It was a pretty solid episode for Sideswipe as well and I can't believe we got a children's cartoon that had a cult and It's not like the cult was malicious or anything just that they are a bunch of weirdos and it's not like they ever really understood what Thunderhoof was up to. It would have been interesting if they found out Thunderhoof was a fraud but then that would expose The Transformers...ah well. Still another episode I enjoyed.