Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Old 02-16-2015   #1
Starscreamsfan
Banned

Default 10 Best Voice Directors of All Time

Hey guys. I just wanted to start this interesting thread in order to acknowledge the people behind the voice actors... RECORDING DIRECTORS!!! Recording directors (refered to as dialogue directors before the 70's) are a very important part of a voice performance. Their purpose is to guide and make suggestions to the voice performers in order to bring their best performance out of them.

Here are my top 10 favorite recording directors of all time...

1) Bernard Cowan

67 Spider-Man wouldn't have been the awesome show it was if it wasn't for Bernard Cowan's excellent direction. A veteran radio announcer and dialogue director, Cowan was considered a father figure to all of his co-workers, and his experience made him a natural choice to direct the Spider-Man cartoon as well as the 1964 Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Christmas Special. My favorite recording director of all time.

2) Stu Rosen

A pioneer in his field, Stu Rosen's direction in Phantom 2040 is highly praised by many people. His casting choices were accomplished dramatic actors who gave complex voice performances. However, the reason why I liked Rosen's work was mainly because of Pryde of the X-Men. His casting choices in Pryde were absolutely perfect (especially Earl Boen as Magneto and Alexandra Stoddart as Dazzler), and his direction is excellent. Another great director.

3) Alan Dinehart

A veteran from the old radio days (he directed Orson Welles in The Shadow), the experienced Dinehart was a very natural choice to direct Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends and the Battle of the Planets dub. His casting choices were some of the most fitting choices in any show. Especially the villains. For the villains, he hired the most talented and experienced performers in the world. Dennis Marks gave a very awesome performance as the Green Goblin. Shepard Menken brought a nice balance of menace and hamminess to Dr. Doom while Hans Conried provides one of the best performances in the entire show as the Chameleon. All the villains had one thing in common: they had the best evil laughs I've ever heard!!!! The main and supporting characters were also well chosen: Dan Gilvezan as Spidey, Frank Welker as Iceman and Kathy Garver as Firestar are perfect casting choices. And he really chose endearing performers for the awesome Battle of the Planets dub. Dinehart is another director that should deserve some recognition.

4) Gordon Hunt

The last two SuperFriends shows had improved greatly compared to the previous ones. Although the previous shows had great acting, these two were a lot better in that regard. Gordon Hunt's voice direction was a lot better and a lot more daring than before, bringing more emotion into the characters and giving them more personality.

5) Don Jurwich

Jurwich's voice direction on the SuperFriends cartoons from 1978 to 1982, the 1982 Hulk show and G.I. Joe (which he directed alongside Wally Burr) made him a great recording director. The Hulk cartoon he directed had a lot of great casting choices and performances. Another recording director to admire, respect and recognize.

6) Wally Burr

One of the best recording directors of the 20th century, Burr's excellent direction was what made G.I. Joe, Transformers and the early SuperFriends shows so great. Burr made even some of the minor characters in these shows memorable. Even characters with just one line of dialogue had a vocal quirk that made them memorable. Another director who deserves some respect and recognition.

7) Andrea Romano

The last SuperFriends show had a lot of things that made it stood out from the previous ones, one of them was this: the casting choices had IMPROVED!!! They kept the best voices from the previous shows and replaced some still great performers with even better ones. While Gordon Hunt directed this show, casting was made by then-future recording director Andrea Romano. Andrea's choices for The Super Powers Team were a lot more ambitious than the previous shows, using a perfect mix between well known actors like Ernie Hudson, Darryl Hickman and Bob Doqui as well as established TV veterans like Jerry Houser, Arlene Golonka and Ken Sansom and people that were established in the voice-over business like Peter Cullen, Andre Stojka and radio veteran Michael Rye, Romano was one of the first casting directors to use celebrities in cartoon roles along with established voice performers. She continued to use this method in the 92 Batman cartoon, which had some of the most impactful voice performances I've ever heard. She keeps directing and casting for cartoons and animated movies, but sadly, none of her work after the 92 Batman show (that means from the 96 Superman show onwards, not counting New Batman Adventures nor Batman Beyond) has left the impact that The Super Powers Team cartoon and the Batman cartoon had on me.

8) Sue Blu

Sue Blu's directing is one of the best aspects about 90s shows. Street Fighter, Beast Wars, Beast Machines and Darkstalkers are among Sue Blu's best directorial works ever.

9) Doug Parker

He is one of the best Canadian directors out there. He really demonstrated his directing abilities in DiC's G.I. Joe cartoon. He has also directed other shows, but I haven't seen them. Another memorable director.

10) Madeleine Bascom

She directed some of my favorite DiC shows like Super Mario Bros. Super Show, Captain N and G.I. Joe (along with Doug Parker). She also directed DiC's Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon. Her direction made her an effective choice to pull off some of the most energetic performances I've heard.

Hope you like this thread. You can post your thoughts about my choices and tell me which are your 10 favorite recording directors.

Take care

Last edited by Starscreamsfan; 06-20-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Starscreamsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015   #2
Polyester Funk

Default Re: 10 Best Voice Directors of All Time

I don't really know that many voice directors(something I should pay more attention to since they assemble the actors), but from your list I know Wally Burr and Susan Blu. I've read how Wally was quite the taskmaster and not always the easiest guy to get along with while working, but he got some great performances on Transformers and GI Joe. I think that both shows had amazing casts. The original Transformers series had great voices and performances. I think that pretty much everybody was perfectly cast. And the addition of the celebs in the movie worked out great, too. And it could have gone badly.

Wait, duh, I know Andrea Romano since she does most of the DC Comics stuff. Batman had a fantastic cast. She gave us Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill who are so renowned for their roles. I've heard that Kevin actually wanted a different role, but Andrea told him: "It's called Batman, you'd be in every episode." She's done some interesting choices with seasoned pros and celebs who haven't done voice acting and usually makes it work. I haven't seen a lot of the DC animated films, though I read that most of the new ones aren't that great. I'm not putting the blame on her, she doesn't write the projects. There only so much you can do with acting if the overall story is bad.
Polyester Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015   #3
SupremeTarantulas

Andrea Romano and Susan Blu come to mind, Colette Sunderman isn't bad either. Not sure on every voice director but whoever did Filmation, 4kids, FUNimation, Hanna-Barbera, and the Looney Tunes, and Disney shorts come to mind, cause the latter 3 created the most iconic cartoon characters of all time.
SupremeTarantulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015   #4
Skullgrin140

I certainly name a couple of names, not 10 as I'm not too familiar with that many but the best I can list off are 5.

1. Jack Fletcher

One of the most underrated and overlooked voice directors in the business today, his direction work in video games like Final Fantasy X as well as Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor are examples of why Video Games can be considered art at times. Because Jack manages to make that so with his direction of the actors in the games he works on to give them the right performances needed to be iconic and memorable, it's the same with his anime work when he worked with Urban Vision and he did such a great job with choosing the right voices for each character and not leaving a single stone un-turned with trying to get the character sounding 100% right.

2. Wally Burr

What's needed to be said about Wally is that he was a perfectionist when it came to the cartoons he worked on in the 80's. Show's like Transformers, G.I. Joe, Jem etc would not be what they are without his involvement and pushing the talent he recruited to their limits and bring out their full potential and make something remembering for generations.

3. Steve Foster

I don't think Steve Foster get's nearly enough notice as he does, I have often noticed people are rather hateful towards his work when I actually think it's mixed in places. On the off hand he has directed products like Captain Harlock, Appleseed, Steel Angel Kurumi masterfully well that show the effort behind the direction to give good performances from the actors he directs. On the other hand with his work on things like Golgo 13 (with the slight miscasting of the lead role) it leaves alot to be desired, it's a shame Steve retired because his demonstrated effort at proper voice direction is what companies like Funimation need.

4. Susan Blu

Apart from her voice work I think Susan's directional work is a high point in her career that leaves a bigger impression on what she has done. Her direction on Beast Wars, Beast Machines, TMNT & Transformers Animated is excellently well done, especially since with shows like Beast Wars she worked in Vancouver to bring names like David Kaye, Scott Mcneil etc to the front and breath life into characters that were new to the franchise at the time that people instantly remember for the way they behaved and sounded.

5. Karl Willems

The Ocean Group have some wide variety of voice directors that bring something different to each show they work on, biggest one I can think of is names like Karl Willems. I'd say his involvement is why show's like Death Note, Cybersix, X-men Evolution, Escaflowne and many others is why they were big successes to some audiences when he recruited the right names in mind to create what he did.
Skullgrin140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015   #5
Starscreamsfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyester Funk View Post
I don't really know that many voice directors(something I should pay more attention to since they assemble the actors), but from your list I know Wally Burr and Susan Blu. I've read how Wally was quite the taskmaster and not always the easiest guy to get along with while working, but he got some great performances on Transformers and GI Joe. I think that both shows had amazing casts. The original Transformers series had great voices and performances. I think that pretty much everybody was perfectly cast. And the addition of the celebs in the movie worked out great, too. And it could have gone badly.

Wait, duh, I know Andrea Romano since she does most of the DC Comics stuff. Batman had a fantastic cast. She gave us Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill who are so renowned for their roles. I've heard that Kevin actually wanted a different role, but Andrea told him: "It's called Batman, you'd be in every episode." She's done some interesting choices with seasoned pros and celebs who haven't done voice acting and usually makes it work. I haven't seen a lot of the DC animated films, though I read that most of the new ones aren't that great. I'm not putting the blame on her, she doesn't write the projects. There only so much you can do with acting if the overall story is bad.
Yes, Burr was a perfectionist, and most of his shows had perfect casting choices.

Yes, Andrea's casting choices in the 90's Batman cartoons (TAS, New Batman Adventures and Beyond) were quite inspired. However, I think they became sort of hit and miss when the 90's Superman cartoon came up (I'm not a big fan of Tim Daly's Superman). And yes, she shouldn't be blamed for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Andrea Romano and Susan Blu come to mind, Colette Sunderman isn't bad either. Not sure on every voice director but whoever did Filmation, 4kids, FUNimation, Hanna-Barbera, and the Looney Tunes, and Disney shorts come to mind, cause the latter 3 created the most iconic cartoon characters of all time.
Ah, yes Collette Sunderman does an amazing job in some great cartoons like Duck Dodgers and some of the Tom & Jerry direct-to-video movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullgrin140 View Post
I certainly name a couple of names, not 10 as I'm not too familiar with that many but the best I can list off are 5.

1. Jack Fletcher

One of the most underrated and overlooked voice directors in the business today, his direction work in video games like Final Fantasy X as well as Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor are examples of why Video Games can be considered art at times. Because Jack manages to make that so with his direction of the actors in the games he works on to give them the right performances needed to be iconic and memorable, it's the same with his anime work when he worked with Urban Vision and he did such a great job with choosing the right voices for each character and not leaving a single stone un-turned with trying to get the character sounding 100% right.

2. Wally Burr

What's needed to be said about Wally is that he was a perfectionist when it came to the cartoons he worked on in the 80's. Show's like Transformers, G.I. Joe, Jem etc would not be what they are without his involvement and pushing the talent he recruited to their limits and bring out their full potential and make something remembering for generations.

3. Steve Foster

I don't think Steve Foster get's nearly enough notice as he does, I have often noticed people are rather hateful towards his work when I actually think it's mixed in places. On the off hand he has directed products like Captain Harlock, Appleseed, Steel Angel Kurumi masterfully well that show the effort behind the direction to give good performances from the actors he directs. On the other hand with his work on things like Golgo 13 (with the slight miscasting of the lead role) it leaves alot to be desired, it's a shame Steve retired because his demonstrated effort at proper voice direction is what companies like Funimation need.

4. Susan Blu

Apart from her voice work I think Susan's directional work is a high point in her career that leaves a bigger impression on what she has done. Her direction on Beast Wars, Beast Machines, TMNT & Transformers Animated is excellently well done, especially since with shows like Beast Wars she worked in Vancouver to bring names like David Kaye, Scott Mcneil etc to the front and breath life into characters that were new to the franchise at the time that people instantly remember for the way they behaved and sounded.

5. Karl Willems

The Ocean Group have some wide variety of voice directors that bring something different to each show they work on, biggest one I can think of is names like Karl Willems. I'd say his involvement is why show's like Death Note, Cybersix, X-men Evolution, Escaflowne and many others is why they were big successes to some audiences when he recruited the right names in mind to create what he did.
Wait, Jack Fletcher, wasn't that the guy who directed the Spawn cartoon??? No wonder Shadow of Mordor has the same performance quality as that cartoon.

I've heard Foster has been quite reviled, but I don't think he's that bad.

Karl Willems is quite a good director, I've seen some of the things he's directed, and he does a top-notch job.
Old 02-20-2015   #6
CatsTuxedo

I'm not one to make "best or worst" lists, but I at least ought to bring up Terry Klassen while we're at it. He's made quite a name for himself directing the actors for My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and Littlest Pet Shop lately. Course, some honorable mentions include the Barbie movies, Class of the Titans and Ed Edd n Eddy before that.
CatsTuxedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015   #7
Starscreamsfan
Banned

Quote:
Jack Fletcher relaxed to Max Fletcher, animator of the 40's Superman?
Nope, not related to Max Fleischer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsTuxedo View Post
I'm not one to make "best or worst" lists, but I at least ought to bring up Terry Klassen while we're at it. He's made quite a name for himself directing the actors for My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and Littlest Pet Shop lately. Course, some honorable mentions include the Barbie movies, Class of the Titans and Ed Edd n Eddy before that.
Oh, yes. Terry Klassen did a great job as director for these shows.
Old 02-20-2015   #8
SupremeTarantulas

Jack Fletcher relaxed to Max Fletcher, animator of the 40's Superman?
Old 02-22-2015   #9
SupremeTarantulas

Forgot to mention Jamie Simone.
Old 02-22-2015   #10
Starscreamsfan
Banned

Quote:
Forgot to mention Jamie Simone.
Yes, he's one of the greatest directors the 20th century has to offer.

I mean his casting choices in Hulk Vs are superb!!! I mean, Steve Blum as Wolverine, Fred Tatasciore as the Hulk, Jay Brazeau as Volstagg, Janyse Jaud as Deathstrike, Mark Acheson as Sabretooth and Graham McTavish as Loki are all great casting choices.

But my personal favorite of Simone's casting choices for Hulk Vs is, yeah, you guessed it... NOLAN NORTH as DEADPOOL!!! Perfect casting choice.