Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2015   #1
Ross123
Member
 
Ross123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Cumbernauld, Scotland, UK.
Posts: 352
Default Potential (but currently unknown) Voice Actor Throwback Project for the older VAs

I was planning on getting this idea out sooner but I just kept putting it off in case people thought it was stupid.

Anyway, last month I got round to watching The Expendables movies. After watching those old action stars do throwbacks to their old movies I figured, "Hey why not have something like this for older VAs?"

Well not entirely like those movies, the project doesn't have to be action filled. It could be a comedy, a drama or something else. But of course, it has to be a throwback to their old voice work.

And it doesn't have to be a movie. It could be a tv show or a video game.

And it has to be animated so NO live action. What do you expect, they're voice actors.

I'm pushing this idea out there because I was hearing something about older VAs struggling to get voice work or instead having to resort to roles they've already done.

And it was saddening when Buster Jones passed away last year knowing that he wanted to do voice work again but never got that chance. And now Gary Owens died a few days ago too.

I'll be honest, I'm no animator but I'm reaching out to those members who are and any members who think they can write up a great script cause I sure don't think I can write one up.

At this point, I'm just a guy with an idea for some sort of project. Look we go on about older VAs not getting work etc but we never actually thought about doing anything to change that.

So what's your thoughts + ideas and are you interested in making this project happen?
__________________
Crazy man, just crazy. The whole world's going crazy. Or maybe it's just me that's crazy.

Last edited by Ross123; 02-17-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Ross123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015   #2
Starscreamsfan
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: My house, DUH!!!
Posts: 778
Default Re: Potential (but currently unknown) Voice Actor Throwback Project for the older VAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross123 View Post
I was planning on getting this idea out sooner but I just kept putting it off in case people thought it was stupid.

Anyway, last month I got round to watching The Expendables movies. After watching those old action stars do throwbacks to their old movies I figured, "Hey why not have something like this for older VAs?"

Well not entirely like those movies, the project doesn't have to be action filled. It could be a comedy, a drama or something else. But of course, it has to be a throwback to their old voice work.

And it doesn't have to be a movie. It could be a tv show or a video game.

And it has to be animated so NO live action. What do you expect, they're voice actors.

I'm pushing this idea out there because I was hearing something about older VAs struggling to get voice work or instead having to resort to roles they've already done.

And it was saddening when Buster Jones passed away last year knowing that he wanted to do voice work again but never got that chance. And now Gary Owens died a few days ago too.

I'll be honest, I'm no animator but I'm reaching out to those members who are and any members who think they can write up a great script cause I sure don't think I can write one up.

At this point, I'm just a guy with an idea for some sort of project. Look we go on about older VAs not getting work etc but we never actually thought about doing anything to change that.

So what's your thoughts and are you interested in making this project happen?
I like this idea.

Freakin' Gary Owens died??? I'm so sad :'(

There are many people that vanished after the 1990s. Ted Schwartz and Sally Julian are prime examples of this.
Starscreamsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015   #3
Ross123
Member
 
Ross123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Cumbernauld, Scotland, UK.
Posts: 352
Default Re: Potential (but currently unknown) Voice Actor Throwback Project for the older VAs

Glad you agree Starscreamsfan. This idea should hopefully be the come back for many old VAs who struggling to get work. That's my main reason for coming up with this project.

And I've been thinking about what it should be. An animated 1 hour 30 minute tv special of some sort.

The for this is because most tv shows get cancelled after just 1 season if they're not successful enough. Not many people go out to the movies anymore mainly because of their ridiculous prices and I don't to see this project be a complete bomb. And video games cost way too much to make and areconsidered bad if they go below an 8/10.

But like I said, I am only a 1 man army. I need people to help me make this happen. I need animators, artists, computer geeks, writers, producers and most of all... voice actors.

And it better have good/memorable/clever jokes in it. And not most of that humour we see nowadays that we're all pretty much sick of at this point, no fart jokes either as I see them as a lazy half-*** way of doing something when nobody can come up with anything better.

The way I see it, this project will be appreciated by those who truly know what a great piece of work & art really is.
__________________
Crazy man, just crazy. The whole world's going crazy. Or maybe it's just me that's crazy.
Ross123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015   #4
Starscreamsfan
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: My house, DUH!!!
Posts: 778
Default Re: Potential (but currently unknown) Voice Actor Throwback Project for the older VAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross123 View Post
Glad you agree Starscreamsfan. This idea should hopefully be the come back for many old VAs who struggling to get work. That's my main reason for coming up with this project.

And I've been thinking about what it should be. An animated 1 hour 30 minute tv special of some sort.

The for this is because most tv shows get cancelled after just 1 season if they're not successful enough. Not many people go out to the movies anymore mainly because of their ridiculous prices and I don't to see this project be a complete bomb. And video games cost way too much to make and areconsidered bad if they go below an 8/10.

But like I said, I am only a 1 man army. I need people to help me make this happen. I need animators, artists, computer geeks, writers, producers and most of all... voice actors.

And it better have good/memorable/clever jokes in it. And not most of that humour we see nowadays that we're all pretty much sick of at this point, no fart jokes either as I see them as a lazy half-*** way of doing something when nobody can come up with anything better.

The way I see it, this project will be appreciated by those who truly know what a great piece of work & art really is.
You do raise a lot of valid points. And I also think a television special could be the best way to do it. Or a series of specials, like the three live-action Hulk specials released in the late 80's.

It should also include some vintage VAs who still get some work nowadays as honorary guests. People like Corey Burton, Pat Fraley and Paul Eiding come to mind.

I think it should have some vintage-style cheesy one-liners at some places, but it's just an idea.
Starscreamsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015   #5
Ross123
Member
 
Ross123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Cumbernauld, Scotland, UK.
Posts: 352
Default Re: Potential (but currently unknown) Voice Actor Throwback Project for the older VAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscreamsfan View Post
You do raise a lot of valid points. And I also think a television special could be the best way to do it. Or a series of specials, like the three live-action Hulk specials released in the late 80's.

It should also include some vintage VAs who still get some work nowadays as honorary guests. People like Corey Burton, Pat Fraley and Paul Eiding come to mind.

I think it should have some vintage-style cheesy one-liners at some places, but it's just an idea.
A series of specials sounds like a really good idea. But for now, I'd rather focus on getting this first idea off the ground before getting into anything else.

Yeah I didn't want to leave out any vintage VAs who still get work nowadays. Only if they are willing to join this project along with everyone else we're looking for to be in it.

I'll take any ideas at this moment in time as I'm still working on the characters and the plot. It would good to have some vintage-style cheesy one-liners in there but like I said, they have to be clever. But I'm sure you've got some great ones thought out.
__________________
Crazy man, just crazy. The whole world's going crazy. Or maybe it's just me that's crazy.
Ross123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015   #6
Skullgrin140
Member
 
Skullgrin140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 106
Default Re: Potential (but currently unknown) Voice Actor Throwback Project for the older VAs

I really like this idea alot.

The biggest problem I feel has become something in voice acting as of late as even though we are seeing newer and younger talent come up through the voice acting industry we are pushing out the older generation a great deal. This applies to all mediums really in this field, An Expendables style of animated movie would pretty much show that even as the industry keeps improving and that new blood is always welcome, no one can fill the shoes of the voices we grew up with when we were young.

In western voice acting talents like Michael Bell, Jack Angel, John Stephenson come to mind, people who have done so much in the industry in the 80's & 90's and now that they are older it feels as though their work is no longer needed in anymore. Same thing with Anime in some regards, names like Tony Oliver & Michael McConnohie who are still getting work but names like Tom Wyner, Simon Prescott, Kerrigan Mahan etc which have dropped off the earth since the turn of the century ring a bell.

I support this idea wholeheartedly if this is done properly and it's not done in a way that feels like a cashin.
Skullgrin140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015   #7
SupremeTarantulas
Senior Member
 
SupremeTarantulas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Strongsville, Ohio
Age: 29
Posts: 2,108
Default Re: Potential (but currently unknown) Voice Actor Throwback Project for the older VAs

Would this cast VA's in roles they've already one, like any living Super Friends cast etc.. The best thing I can think of right now (and I actually write a lot of scripts and do a lot of writing in general in my free time) is some big universal merging involving Marvel, DC, and 80's tv characters.

Example the Spider-Friends are doing a patrol when Spidey's spider-sense goes nuts and rthey encounter, Megatron? Mumm-Ra, Skeletor? Something like that. I can fit it in this weekend, if I can daydream the beginning of this, by the time I get off work Friday, where I spend most times coming up with ideas, have to do something to pass the the time prepping files i one spot all day .
SupremeTarantulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.