Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > General Topics > General Chat

General Chat Introduce yourself or just talk about something not related to our site topics here.

Old 08-31-2011   #1
Strife

Default Dubs vs. Subs and buying anime

I know this discussion has been done to death but I just gotta know.

How does everyone feel about the whole dub vs sub thing?

Personally, I love dubs. I don't mind subs but I do mind the arguments people have against them. Most of the time they argue that they change too much of the show's original meaning, but let's all be honest here: there is no way in hell that **** Naruto is preaching the **** meaning of life and the secret to peace, happiness and immortality on his show. As long as the main plot points and characters are in place the actors, directors and writers will change what they need to to get the best performance out there.

Yes I will admit that there are some seriously bad dubs out there and some insulting edits. But there are also some very good dubs. Case in point, I have never heard anyone say anything about the dub for Fullmetal Alchemist.

Also,

how many of you buy your anime or watch it legally? I will admit I'm trying to do my best, but being a broke college student, I really can't afford to get whatever I want on amazon. Most of the time I just watch it on Hulu or Netflix.
Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011   #2
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

Default Re: Dubs vs. Subs and buying anime

I'm going to say dubs because I don't go out of my way to watch the Japanese version. I'm not a huge anime watcher so I usually consider the Japanese dub a curiosity. As long as they keep everything intact, I've got no qualms with dubs. In fact, I think some are better than the original versions. The ONLY times I'd ever prefer a Japanese version is if the English is really bad, like Sonic X. (This is why I'm thankful Street Fighter 4 lets you change individual characters' languages. Other characters have good voices, but Blanka and Akuma are just awful.)

I only watch shows and play games legally. Piracy has made companies go out of business, and I don't like that.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011   #3
SM Scorx

Default Re: Dubs vs. Subs and buying anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife View Post
I know this discussion has been done to death but I just gotta know.

How does everyone feel about the whole dub vs sub thing?

Personally, I love dubs. I don't mind subs but I do mind the arguments people have against them. Most of the time they argue that they change too much of the show's original meaning, but let's all be honest here: there is no way in hell that **** Naruto is preaching the **** meaning of life and the secret to peace, happiness and immortality on his show. As long as the main plot points and characters are in place the actors, directors and writers will change what they need to to get the best performance out there.

Yes I will admit that there are some seriously bad dubs out there and some insulting edits. But there are also some very good dubs. Case in point, I have never heard anyone say anything about the dub for Fullmetal Alchemist.
Then, you haven't met penguintruth (or penguinlies as we called him at the old FUNimation Forums. He has an account here, too, unfortunately). He doesn't like the FMA dub (particularly Chris Patton as Greed).

To answer your question, I like both dub and sub. I usually watch the simulcast of One Piece on the official website and Naruto: Shippuden on ViZ Anime (though it is hosted Hulu). I want to watch the dub of Shippuden uncut, but I'm waiting for ViZ to release the Season Sets.

-Yup, it's me ShadowRaditz89 from the FUNimation Forums
SM Scorx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anime, dub vs sub, purchising