Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Anime

Anime Discuss everything in the world of Anime here.

Old 04-02-2016   #11
Autovolt

Default Re: (NOT APRIL FOOLS) Apparent new Yugioh uncut redub

Is it so freaking hard to just bring back any old voice cast in this day and age? I mean between Hunter X Hunter, Vision of Escaflowne and now Yu-Gi-Oh! It's like they don't even consider bringing back anyone of the original voice cast.

The new voices I guess are alright? But they come off as generic compared to the 4Kids. It feels weird not hearing a New Yorker accent with Joey/Jounouchi, he's technically suppose to have an accent anyways.

If that is indeed Chris Niosi as Yugi, it's kind of amusing considering he was Noah in Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged. He's alright in the role but honestly I still prefer Dan Green in every way.

I agree with NCZ, Yu-Gi-Oh is just one of those series that I never felt like it needed a "proper" dub. Yeah it was a old school 4Kids Americanized dub but for me it just felt right. Usually I prefer a more accurate dub, like with Sailor Moon it made more sense since it came out a different time and is one of those series that had characters who were changed so much they weren't really the same like Zoisite being a woman or Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune being "cousins", plus there were a lot of mediocre voices and performances in it, yeah a few performances and voices still hold up like Susan Roman as Sailor Jupiter and Jeff Lumby as Tomoe, but if I'm going to be honest Yu-Gi-Oh! really is just an toyetic anime, it's advertising trading cards and the dub voices IMO are rather fitting and the acting is actually solid, if a bit cartoony at times. For me the 4Kids dub does hold up and this new dub just feels like it's lacking the charm.

I don't know maybe my reasoning doesn't make any sense, I just got up but this just feels weird and wrong to me. I'm really worried now that the new movie won't have 4Kids voices again, I mean these are some great VA's (like Dan Green, Wayne Grayson, Eric Stuart, Greg Abbey) who really deserve more work.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016   #12
1dbad

A lot of people are saying this is just a fandub, with famous fandubbers like ShadyVox as Jounouchi. (most famous for his YGO GX Abridged series)

I guess I'm in the minority, but I'd love a uncut redub of Yugioh. One with the original cast would be awesome, but I wouldn't be opposed to new voices either. It's not like it would erase the old dub or anything, so I don't really see the harm personally. And with the 20th anniversary remastering and official Crunchyroll subs, this would be the PERFECT time for such a thing.

Last edited by 1dbad; 04-02-2016 at 05:10 AM.
1dbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016   #13
SteelEthlan

Remember when Ocean Productions got license from Toei Animation when they made Dragon Ball Kai? This shows that it doesn't matter that either one of them got the license as long as it was approved.

It isn't too late to have Funimation do their take on Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters when they get that license in order to support the quality it has to offer from Konami no less.

But yeah, i would like to have nobody in this series would have needless accents, except for Joey, because i had heard that Osaka is pretty much brooklin or southern accent as i researched, correct me if i'm wrong.

Also, it isn't official just yet so don't hold your breath on that.

Last edited by SteelEthlan; 04-03-2016 at 05:48 AM.
SteelEthlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016   #14
1dbad

No one's come forward yet, but looks like it is nothing more a fandub: https://ravegrl.wordpress.com/2016/0...english-redub/
Old 04-03-2016   #15
Autovolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dbad View Post
No one's come forward yet, but looks like it is nothing more a fandub: https://ravegrl.wordpress.com/2016/0...english-redub/
I'm sort of glad to be honest actually.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016   #16
1dbad

I'm disappointed myself, but not surprised. It's not all bad though. There's still a chance it could happen one day, and if it does, it could turn out even better than this did. (like maybe with the original voice cast returning?)

Last edited by 1dbad; 04-03-2016 at 05:24 AM.
Old 04-03-2016   #17
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

If most of the reactions to a prank are negative or apathetic at best, then it kinda makes you think twice about who the victims of a prank really are :V

I'll grant that this got me though.

Last edited by NCZ; 04-03-2016 at 08:18 AM.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016   #18
Dr.Who
Banned

Default Re: (APRIL FOOLS) Apparent new Yugioh uncut redub

I know this was an obvious joke, but we already have that old Uncut dub of the first 9 episodes. Give me an Uncut dub of episodes 10-224, and then I'd be interested. This fandub wasn't bad at all, though (as much as I do NOT care for ShadyVox, LittleKuriboh, etc.).

Either way, I didn't mind the Duel Monsters dub, even edited. Zexal onwards have dubs that are the ones that make me cringe (sort of like that other Series I really don't like the dubs for nowadays, both of which use similar voice over talents, writers, etc.).
Dr.Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016   #19
1dbad

It's amazing how fast things blew up too. Like the Tumblr post about it got over 2,000 notes in no time, and was pretty popular on Twitter and Yugioh forums too. I was surprised that there was actually a good bit of positive reception. Saw quite a few people saying they'd buy the boxsets as soon as they were available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Who View Post
I know this was an obvious joke, but we already have that old Uncut dub of the first 9 episodes. Give me an Uncut dub of episodes 10-224, and then I'd be interested. This fandub wasn't bad at all, though (as much as I do NOT care for ShadyVox, LittleKuriboh, etc.).
Yeah, an uncut dub of episode 10 or later would be a lot more exciting to me as well. I will say though, this fandub actually had a stronger start than the short-lived uncut dub with the 4Kids VAs. It improved with each set, but the first couple of episodes were really stiff for the most part. Meanwhile, most of this was more natural sounding and well acted right off the bat.

Last edited by 1dbad; 04-03-2016 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-06-2016   #20
Dr.Who
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dbad View Post

Yeah, an uncut dub of episode 10 or later would be a lot more exciting to me as well. I will say though, this fandub actually had a stronger start than the short-lived uncut dub with the 4Kids VAs. It improved with each set, but the first couple of episodes were really stiff for the most part. Meanwhile, most of this was more natural sounding and well acted right off the bat.
First part, exactly.

Second part, yeah, but I'd honestly rather take that uncut dub with official and professional voice actors over the latter fandub with abridged parody artists doing the work, but that's probably just me. The uncut dub's voice acting was much better in the latter two sets than in the first one, which for whatever reason, Eric and Dan were shouting their lines as Kaiba and Yami in the first duel they had.

Say what people will about the edited dub, but I much preferred that particular duel/match in the 4Kids edited dub in terms of voice acting.
Dr.Who is offline   Reply With Quote