Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > General Topics > Dream Casts

Dream Casts Be the Voice Director and cast your favorite voices for different shows, movies or games!

Old 09-20-2011   #1
NCZ
Ask me about unions

Default Sonic the Hedgehog

Or if you'd prefer, "Sega Dream Casts".

Anyway, here's my cast list for the Sonic the Hedgehog series if Funimation ever got ahold of it:
Sonic and Metal Sonic: Sean Schemmel
Knuckles: Chris Sabat
Tails: Maxey Whitehead
Amy: Luci Christian or Monica Rial
Cream: Brina Palencia
Shadow: Chuck Huber
Eggman: Kent Williams
Rouge: Colleen Clinkenbeard
Espio: J. Michael Tatum
Charmy: Kara Edwards
Vector: Chris Rager
Big: Kyle Hebert (wouldn't need to be changed!)
Omega: Vic Mignogna (also wouldn't need to be changed!)
Jet: Sonny Strait
Wave: Caitlin Glass
Storm: Bob Carter
Gamma: Jeremy Inman
Blaze: Jamie Marchi
Silver: Eric Vale

Last edited by NCZ; 01-25-2015 at 01:04 PM.
NCZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011   #2
Pokejedservo

Default Re: Sega Dream Casts

Alright then here is my little attempt at something Sonic-related...

Sonic (Ocean)

Sonic and Metal Sonic: Matt Hill
Knuckles: Scott McNeil
Tails: Saffron Henderson
Amy: Tabitha St. Germain
Cream: Chantal Strand
Shadow: Ted Cole
Eggman: Richard Newman
Rouge: Venus Terzo
Espio: Brian Drummond
Charmy: Jillian Michaels
Vector: Michael Dobson
Big: Scott McNeil
Omega: Ward Perry
Jet: Michael Dobson
Wave: Nicole Oliver
Storm: Paul Dobson
Gamma: Lee Tockar
Silver: Michael Donovan
Blaze: Lisa Ann Beley
Pokejedservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #3
pokemastanumba1

To add to NCZ's FUNimation cast:

Maria Robotnik - Stephanie Nadolny

Gerald Robotnik - Mike McFarland

Blaze - Laura Bailey (wouldn't need to be changed either!)

Last edited by pokemastanumba1; 10-04-2011 at 04:49 PM. Reason: remove the last statement
pokemastanumba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #4
NCZ
Ask me about unions

First off, I have watched the Legend of Thunder (I was a HUGE Pokemon fan a few years back. I enjoy the franchise more casually now). Sonic isn't a kid like Jimmy is. He's a teenager. At 15, it's perfectly normal for his voice to have deepened.

Secondly, Sonic and Goku have a lot in common. Fans have been comparing the two series for YEARS. At heart, they're both heroic, happy-go-lucky types who can be serious when time calls for it. If Sean used his Goku voice, he'd be a perfect fit.

As for Blaze, I didn't want to take the cheap way out, but there weren't any other VAs I felt could really nail the character.

Also, I removed the illegal video link you posted. That is strictly against the rules.

Last edited by NCZ; 10-04-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2011   #5
pokemastanumba1

Well, Goku's an adult, so my point still stands. I would much rather prefer women voicing Sonic, such as Keiko Utoku.

Oh, and sorry about the video link. I'll be much more careful from now on.
Old 10-05-2011   #6
NCZ
Ask me about unions

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemastanumba1 View Post
Well, Goku's an adult, so my point still stands. I would much rather prefer women voicing Sonic, such as Keiko Utoku.

Oh, and sorry about the video link. I'll be much more careful from now on.
I still think this makes no sense at all. Sonic is 15; he shouldn't sound like a child and having a child's voice isn't in character for him at all (and I've never heard a woman successfully do a teenage voice).

But to each their own. If that's your opinion, I'll respect it.
Old 10-10-2011   #7
NCZ
Ask me about unions

Well, after listening to a few of the recently-added audio clips (good job, Jackson!), I've come up with a good Blaze voice actress...

Blaze: Jamie Marchi
Old 10-11-2011   #8
ConfusedPhantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ View Post
First off, I have watched the Legend of Thunder (I was a HUGE Pokemon fan a few years back. I enjoy the franchise more casually now). Sonic isn't a kid like Jimmy is. He's a teenager. At 15, it's perfectly normal for his voice to have deepened.

Secondly, Sonic and Goku have a lot in common. Fans have been comparing the two series for YEARS. At heart, they're both heroic, happy-go-lucky types who can be serious when time calls for it. If Sean used his Goku voice, he'd be a perfect fit.
Goku is a man in his 20s with the personality of a 10 year old boy. He has a passion for fighting, lives in the middle of nowhere, and he isn't not very bright. He's can be pretty creative though (yay Dragon Ball). Usually, he'd make pretty selfish decisions, but cares for his friends even though he doesn't care much about hanging out with them all the time. He fights to push his limits. It's what he enjoys, saving the world or whatever's just icing on a cake for this guy. (I'm going by the way Dragon Ball Kai, the Japanese version of Dragon Ball, and the manga portrayal here)

Sonic is a bit inconsistently portrayed (as far as short-tempered and cocky-ness goes), but still a far cry from Goku's personality. The closest he's ever gotten to matching Goku's personality is Sonic X. But, that's about it. In early games and the movie, he is a confident, short-tempered hedgehog that hates oppression and likes the challenge. Saving the world is kind of like his job, really. He can be pretty snarky too, so he's closer to the Flash or Dante from DMC as far as personality goes if you had to compare him to anyone.

Other than a few details, they're different.

So yeah...HA HA Overanalysis of two fictional characters that sell millions of DVDs and video games. *shot*

But, with that said...Sean Schemmel MIGHT work if he tries something a tad different. I'm not a big fan of his Goku. He gets Goku's character but his voice is far too heavy to take fully portray his personality properly without sounding shrill or strained. But, as Roger Craig Smith as proven, heavy voices work on Sonic. Well, even. Adds to his confidence without taking anything away. So I'm not against it...I just don't see his voice coming out of Sonic's mouth clear enough in my head. ^^;

I like some of your choices, though. Maxey Whitehead and Chris Rager, especially. Great fits.

Last edited by ConfusedPhantom; 10-11-2011 at 08:51 PM.
ConfusedPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #9
NCZ
Ask me about unions

Well, what I meant was that even though some details are different, at heart they're similar light-hearted, fun-loving, carefree hero-types. Sonic is snarkier and Goku doesn't have a mean word to say about anyone, but they do have similarities.

Their supporting cast and the way they interact are similar also. Sonic and Shadow = Goku and Vegeta, Knuckles is Piccolo, Amy is Chi Chi, etc. That's what I was getting at.

Yeah, I see what you mean that Sean's voice is a little "heavy". But I'm sure if he lightened it up a bit it'd work. I've been thinking of making a video or something called "If Sean Schemmel Was Sonic" that'd play out how I envision his voice for Sonic, basically taking some of his Goku lines and playing them over Sonic scenes. If I ever make it, I'll post the link here.

Glad you liked my list. The only Funimation shows I've seen are Dragon Ball, One Piece, School Rumble, Sgt. Frog and Ouran High School Host Club, so it was a bit of a challenge to put together and add variety. In the same way, though, it was kind of fun.

Last edited by NCZ; 10-11-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-11-2011   #10
ConfusedPhantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ View Post
Well, what I meant was that even though some details are different, at heart they're similar light-hearted, fun-loving, carefree hero-types. Sonic is snarkier and Goku doesn't have a mean word to say about anyone, but they do have similarities.

Their supporting cast and the way they interact are similar also. Sonic and Shadow = Goku and Vegeta, Knuckles is Piccolo, Amy is Chi Chi, etc. That's what I was getting at.

Yeah, I see what you mean that Sean's voice is a little "heavy". But I'm sure if he lightened it up a bit it'd work. I've been thinking of making a video or something called "If Sean Schemmel Was Sonic" that'd play out how I envision his voice for Sonic, basically taking some of his Goku lines and playing them over Sonic scenes. If I ever make it, I'll post the link here.
Ahh, right.

Well, like I said, heavy voices work, but it's kinda hard picturing Sonic with his voice. ^^; So if you ever make that video, I'd love to see it.
ConfusedPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote