Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Movie Discussion

Movie Discussion Discuss all things related to upcoming, latest and classic movies! Threads may contain SPOILERS!

Old 09-28-2014   #1
CartoonFreak666

Default Jurassic Park Franchise

I was watching one of my all time guilty pleasures Jurassic Park 3 and found a Velociraptor that says Alan during his dream. I can't find any credits of who voices it so for now we could put it under Unknown Voice Actor.

Also please don't call me crazy that I enjoyed JP3 more than others did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Velocoraptor.jpg (4.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Jurassic Park 3 Poster.jpg (10.0 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by TylerMirage; 10-01-2014 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Moved to movie discussion forum, retitled.
CartoonFreak666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014   #2
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Default Re: Jurassic Park 3

I've been tempted to add this one multiple times, but I don't think it technically counts. It's just Billy Brennan's actor, Alessandro Nivola, playing the scene. Doesn't really count as VO. It'd be different if his role was more substantial and the Raptor was walking around talking like Billy, but this was just a single line from a dreaming Dr. Grant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartoonFreak666 View Post
Also please don't call me crazy that I enjoyed JP3 more than others did.
I ain't gonna' call you crazy. I loved it, too! Granted, I like nearly anything with dinosaurs in it... but JPIII gets a lot more hate than it deserves. It's a decently solid flick that unfortunately has to live up to the legacy of the first film, which anyone would fall short of. I feel that many of the film's more vocal critics (on the internet) are disappointed that JPIII is unabashedly a monster-chase movie. The first two have more blatant layers of "OH MAN WE'RE DEALING WITH SERIOUSLY DEEP SUBTEXT, MAN, WE'RE SO COMPLEX", while JPIII's are more subtle, and thus, are sort of overshadowed by a more standard monster movie story.

Last edited by TylerMirage; 09-28-2014 at 11:10 AM.
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014   #3
CartoonFreak666

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMirage View Post
I've been tempted to add this one multiple times, but I don't think it technically counts. It's just Billy Brennan's actor, Alessandro Nivola, playing the scene. Doesn't really count as VO. It'd be different if his role was more substantial and the Raptor was walking around talking like Billy, but this was just a single line from a dreaming Dr. Grant.

I ain't gonna' call you crazy. I loved it, too! Granted, I like nearly anything with dinosaurs in it... but JPIII gets a lot more hate than it deserves. It's a decently solid flick that unfortunately has to live up to the legacy of the first film, which anyone would fall short of. I feel that many of the film's more vocal critics (on the internet) are disappointed that JPIII is unabashedly a monster-chase movie. The first two have more blatant layers of "OH MAN WE'RE DEALING WITH SERIOUSLY DEEP SUBTEXT, MAN, WE'RE SO COMPLEX", while JPIII's are more subtle, and thus, are sort of overshadowed by a more standard monster movie story.
I can kinda see what your going for, even someone probably had to animate it, if it was CGI. I just thought that if it could count.

People have called me crazy in real life for saying good about JP3, and I didn't want anyone else calling me crazy too.

Fun Fact: My grandpa actually recorded this for me back in 2005 from TBS on a VHS.
Old 09-28-2014   #4
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Quote:
I can kinda see what your going for, even someone probably had to animate it, if it was CGI. I just thought that if it could count.
Well, it's SWS's practical Raptor animatronic that was puppeteered for the scene (think along the lines of a Muppet performer) so in that regard I understand why we might add it. But given the extremely minimal role it played and the context of it within the story, it's not going to be added. Otherwise we'd have to add every single case of an actor ADR'ing themselves, which is a no-no.

Quote:
People have called me crazy in real life for saying good about JP3, and I didn't want anyone else calling me crazy too.
The people who think that you can't say anything good about it are just plain wrong. It may not be perfect or even "good" to some people, but it's hardly "horrible" in any sense. Plenty of things were done well and worth praise.

Quote:
Fun Fact: My grandpa actually recorded this for me back in 2005 from TBS on a VHS.
I used to have it on VHS, way back from 2001/2002 when it came out on home media. Then I had it on DVD. Now I have it on the trilogy Blu-Ray.
Old 09-28-2014   #5
Jackson_H
Top Contributor

I rarely say my opinions on movies anymore but I'll make an exception here.

Jurassic Park 3 had some good things but I still like the first 2 films better.

However what really makes me annoyed about JP3 was the T-Rex vs Spino fight (this has already been discussed and fought over a billion times on the internet so I'll try to keep it short)

*T-Rex was arguably the most popular dinosaur in the franchise and a lot more memorable. I can appreciate TPTB wanting to change up the formula by introducing a new super carnivore but don't just kill off the T-Rex and make it look easy... Not cool! Maybe not have the T-Rex included at all so fans like me don't get all grumpy about what happened.

Been a while since I watched the movie but they were on another part of the island correct? AKA Spino's territory

While in The Lost World the setting was the T-Rex family's territory.

Some might have complained "why was there no T-Rex?" but at least there would be an explanation.

*Even though the T-Rex in the movie wasn't fully mature its bite should've killed Spino as soon as it got its jaws around it. Spino supporters can state it was larger in size but T-Rex still had more powerful bite. Yet Spino's neck somehow slipped through those powerful jaws after a couple seconds; how convenient...

I like Dr. Grant more than Dr. Malcolm so seeing more of him in JP3 was worth it.

I look forward to Jurassic World. Bitter fanboy in me hopes there's a T-Rex vs Spino rematch and there is redemption!

Last edited by Jackson_H; 09-29-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Jackson_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014   #6
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Ha ha, Jackson, you're not alone. I'm only a massive dinosaur-fanboy and not a full-on paleontologist (yet), but yeah, the "Spino vs. T.rex"-debate is an entire thread in-and-of-itself.

But you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. They put the T.rex in and killed him = Angry T.rex fans. They leave the T.rex out = Angry T.rex fans

But even given the "backlash" on the internet with regards to Spino's victory, I can't see JW doing something as fanwanky as having another battle only for the Rex to stomp the Spino. I mean, they'll probably make the Rex a prominent dinosaur character again, but a Rocky vs. Creed rematch is probably wishing for a bit much. Bitter fanboys unite!

EDIT: Might end up just moving this to the movie discussion forum. I don't want this to end!
Old 09-28-2014   #7
Polyester Funk

Did anyone else that story on what the Spinosaurus was actually supposed to look like? It was apparently more of a quadruped and it did not stand on two legs as depicted in JPIII or Age of Extinction. It certainly didn't look as dangerous as was first thought and I don't it could have fought a T-Rex. Now that debate is gonna rage all over again.
Polyester Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014   #8
CartoonFreak666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyester Funk View Post
Did anyone else that story on what the Spinosaurus was actually supposed to look like? It was apparently more of a quadruped and it did not stand on two legs as depicted in JPIII or Age of Extinction. It certainly didn't look as dangerous as was first thought and I don't it could have fought a T-Rex. Now that debate is gonna rage all over again.
In a game that I own called Zoo Tycoon: Complete Collection the Spinosaurus also stands on two legs. It's also one of the few dinosaurs in the game that doesn't get upset real easily.
Old 09-29-2014   #9
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Quote:
Did anyone else that story on what the Spinosaurus was actually supposed to look like? It was apparently more of a quadruped and it did not stand on two legs as depicted in JPIII or Age of Extinction.
Of course I saw it. There is still some question though as to how accurate his new depiction is. They basically based their model off of mismatching different specimens...

http://www.skeletaldrawing.com/home/...osaurus9112014

http://scotthartman.deviantart.com/j...17982#comments

...so while there's a good chance it definitely did look different to how it's been portrayed, it might not have looked that exaggerated as recent claims make it out to be. Still different from JPIII, but not quite the "super crazy unique quadrapedal, webbed toed, knuckle-walking hump-spined thing".

In my un-educated opinion, we still need a far more complete specimen to solidify findings. Not to mention that it's not like all Spinosaurs looked like this. It's only one species.

Quote:
It certainly didn't look as dangerous as was first thought and I don't it could have fought a T-Rex. Now that debate is gonna rage all over again.
That debate will forever rage on because we'll never know for certain what the outcome might've been.
Old 09-30-2014   #10
Polyester Funk

It kinda amazes me how little we know of certain things like this. We know that the Spino existed, yet we don't have enough of its remains to make a completely accurate mock up for what it may have looked like. I guess that's true of a lot of prehistoric animals, it just seems that Spino remains a a rarity even compared to others. For so long the only pieces we knew about were destroyed during WWII.

I'm going to change the subject here as The Lost World was on TV a little earlier and I noticed something that I don't think I've ever seen before: the scene were the T-Rex crashes into that bus it sends it crashing into a video store and there are weird/goofy movie posters in there. There's one of Willaim Shakespeare's King Lear which looks like it has Arnold Schwarzenegger on it(which is great BTW), another for Jack and the Beanstalk starring Robin Williams and something called Tsunami Sunrise with Tom Hanks. Funny little things that I've never noticed before.
Polyester Funk is offline   Reply With Quote