Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Anime

Anime Discuss everything in the world of Anime here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2017   #11
Shaun Ince
Member
 
Shaun Ince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 504
Default Re: Gintama Ocean Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNaG View Post
There are very few people who would sit through subs for 250+ episodes and a movie in order to get a chance to listen to a dub. By that point, most people would become very attached to the sub voices anyway.
You'd be surprised how many people do just that. I know a few people who would follow a show in subbed format & switch to the dub on a whim. Heck there's even people who outright refuse to watch an anime because there isn't a dub for it.
Shaun Ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017   #12
SNaG
Member
 
SNaG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Kamurocho
Posts: 497
Default Re: Gintama Ocean Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Ince View Post
You'd be surprised how many people do just that. I know a few people who would follow a show in subbed format & switch to the dub on a whim. Heck there's even people who outright refuse to watch an anime because there isn't a dub for it.
Ah, I wasn't clear enough in my OP (sorry!) so I'll elaborate here. I can't imagine such an audience being enough to justify the dub on a monetary level. While those who love dubs and those who are dub only exist, I don't know if that's a large enough crowd to say to producers "Hey, let's dub the whole series!"

I do hope to eat crow with this sentiment but I'm just trying to be realistic.
SNaG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017   #13
1dbad
Junior Member
 
1dbad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: FUNimation's state
Posts: 22
Default Re: Gintama Ocean Dub

I agree with SNaG. I prefer to start shows from the beginning, rather than right in the middle of things. And while I am interested in Gintama, it's going to take me a while to get up to the point the dub started with it.

That said, I do hope this "latest now, earlier stuff later" approach pays off. Gintama on home video would be amazing, and a dub is the perfect way to increase the odds of that. Plus I just love the thought of Ocean having a long-runner to work on.
1dbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017   #14
Autovolt
Senior Member
 
Autovolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ottawa
Age: 25
Posts: 2,333
Default Re: Gintama Ocean Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dbad View Post
I just love the thought of Ocean having a long-runner to work on.
You have no idea why I'm so happy Ocean is dubbing Gintama.

They rarely get to work on Long Runners. InuYasha and Dragon Ball Z were the only major long runners that had over a 100 - 200 episodes.

Gintama is going to give Ocean work for the next few years and it makes me happy.

Hopefully the current critical acclaim this dub has been getting thus far will make Crunchyroll consider giving Ocean more dubs to work with.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017   #15
Shaun Ince
Member
 
Shaun Ince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 504
Default Re: Gintama Ocean Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNaG View Post
Ah, I wasn't clear enough in my OP (sorry!) so I'll elaborate here. I can't imagine such an audience being enough to justify the dub on a monetary level. While those who love dubs and those who are dub only exist, I don't know if that's a large enough crowd to say to producers "Hey, let's dub the whole series!"

I do hope to eat crow with this sentiment but I'm just trying to be realistic.
Yeah good point. With the many ways that anime can be accessed now (whether it be legal or illegal) the amount of people that would switch to a dub especially for monetary reasons, would be a small splash in an ocean so to speak.
Shaun Ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017   #16
Shaun Ince
Member
 
Shaun Ince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 504
Default Re: Gintama Ocean Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autovolt View Post
You have no idea why I'm so happy Ocean is dubbing Gintama.

They rarely get to work on Long Runners. InuYasha and Dragon Ball Z were the only major long runners that had over a 100 - 200 episodes.

Gintama is going to give Ocean work for the next few years and it makes me happy.

Hopefully the current critical acclaim this dub has been getting thus far will make Crunchyroll consider giving Ocean more dubs to work with.
I think the dub needs huge viewing numbers before they consider handing more dubs to Ocean. Besides, Ocean Studios isn't cheap to hire, they're more expensive than union voice talent in LA.
Shaun Ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017   #17
1dbad
Junior Member
 
1dbad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: FUNimation's state
Posts: 22
Default Re: Gintama Ocean Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autovolt View Post
Hopefully the current critical acclaim this dub has been getting thus far will make Crunchyroll consider giving Ocean more dubs to work with.
I hope so too! Texas and LA studios do good work, but more variety among dubs would be nice. I miss not hearing New York and Canadian talent as much nowadays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Ince View Post
I think the dub needs huge viewing numbers before they consider handing more dubs to Ocean. Besides, Ocean Studios isn't cheap to hire, they're more expensive than union voice talent in LA.
It makes you wonder why Crunchyroll chose them for Gintama to begin with. I guess they have high expectations for the dub?
1dbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017   #18
Autovolt
Senior Member
 
Autovolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ottawa
Age: 25
Posts: 2,333
Default Re: Gintama Ocean Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dbad View Post
I hope so too! Texas and LA studios do good work, but more variety among dubs would be nice. I miss not hearing New York and Canadian talent as much nowadays!


It makes you wonder why Crunchyroll chose them for Gintama to begin with. I guess they have high expectations for the dub?
My theory is that Ocean was avaliable and had the time to do it.

There's only so much Bang Zoom can do, I mean Gintama is a long runner and you're in the long haul here. Since very little anime work was being done at Ocean, they were available and we're like we'll take the risk.

My two cents at least.

and yeah same with New York.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017   #19
SNaG
Member
 
SNaG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Kamurocho
Posts: 497
Default Re: Gintama Ocean Dub

I watched some episodes here and there. As a whole, the script writing is faithful to the source and still retains the humor, which is great. When the joke is too Japanese, they adapt it slightly which satisfies me since not every joke is translatable. Some errant VO opinions...

Really can't take Andrew Francis as Sakamoto though, his is the only casting I'm not sure will get better with time. He gets Sakamoto's laugh and airy nature down, but he sounds way too much like a dudebro, which Sakamoto isn't.

I feel Matt Ellis plays it too straight as Zura sometimes, he can afford to ham it up a little outside of Zura's shouting.

Chantal Strand is very good as Tama, maybe too expressive? She is a robot after all. Minor quibble.

Whoever Takasugi is does a good job. Loses some gravitas, but admittedly the flashback arc isn't a good showcase for that.

Jason Simpson is a great Kondo. Heck, he even sounds like a gorilla at times. Awesome casting.

Vincent Tong, Michael Adamthwatie, Marlie Collins, Janyse Jaud, and Advah Soudak do great jobs and hit the personalities, but I feel they would benefit a lot from more time with the characters to perfect them.
SNaG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017   #20
Shaun Ince
Member
 
Shaun Ince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 504
Default Re: Gintama Ocean Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNaG View Post
I watched some episodes here and there. As a whole, the script writing is faithful to the source and still retains the humor, which is great. When the joke is too Japanese, they adapt it slightly which satisfies me since not every joke is translatable. Some errant VO opinions...

Really can't take Andrew Francis as Sakamoto though, his is the only casting I'm not sure will get better with time. He gets Sakamoto's laugh and airy nature down, but he sounds way too much like a dudebro, which Sakamoto isn't.

I feel Matt Ellis plays it too straight as Zura sometimes, he can afford to ham it up a little outside of Zura's shouting.

Chantal Strand is very good as Tama, maybe too expressive? She is a robot after all. Minor quibble.

Whoever Takasugi is does a good job. Loses some gravitas, but admittedly the flashback arc isn't a good showcase for that.

Jason Simpson is a great Kondo. Heck, he even sounds like a gorilla at times. Awesome casting.

Vincent Tong, Michael Adamthwatie, Marlie Collins, Janyse Jaud, and Advah Soudak do great jobs and hit the personalities, but I feel they would benefit a lot from more time with the characters to perfect them.
Takasugi is voiced by Alex Zahara. Who voiced Karnak from the Inhuman's motion comic.
Shaun Ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.