Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Game Discussion

Game Discussion Chat about video games from old school classics to the latest and upcoming releases.

Old 11-30-2015   #1
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

Default NX is March 2017

According to Digitimes, rumours are floating around that Foxconn will begin manufacturing a new Nintendo system in the middle of next year, for an expected Autumn or Holiday launch. They say Nintendo plans to ship at least 10-12 million units of their system.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20151130PD203.html

This matches up with a variety of other rumours and lines of thought that have been circling around Nintendo in recent times.

- their relatively sparse E3 lineup, consisting mainly of games that began development a few years ago (Yoshi, Fire Emblem, SMT x FE, Star Fox, etc.) outsourced games by external studios and/or those that were comparatively small-scale or relying on reused assets

- their lack of announcements for any projects in the second half of next year, beyond the now-delayed Zelda

- the 3DS being nearly 5 years old and having its sales start to trickle down a bit, and the Wii U being... well, the Wii U

- Iwata's commitment in March that we will hear more about their next console come the New Year

- silence from various Nintendo studios (EAD have confirmed to be working on new 3D Mario and Pikmin games, Game Freak have been surprisingly quiet on new Pokemon, and Retro haven't done anything since Tropical Freeze wrapped a couple years back)

- Yuji Horii randomly announcing, and then backtracking on, that Dragon Quest XI would be available on the NX -- a major game planned to release at some point next year. (Note that Horii also announced and then backtracked on the 3DS ports of DQVII and VIII being localized in the west -- which is something that later happened.)

Basically the 3DS and Wii U seem to be on their way out the door and it's in Nintendo's best interest to move onto their next big thing - which seems to be exactly what's happening now.

So what do you all think of a hypothetical new Nintendo system? Based on statements from Iwata prior to his passing, the currently-speculated consensus among gamers is that their new "NX" will refer to both a new handheld and a new home console, which will essentially be varying form factors of the same OS, kind of like what companies like Windows or Apple do with their tablets and computers, but for gaming. A shared setup would make it far easier for them to develop games and avoid spreading themselves thin across two different developer toolsets as they have since the Gameboy. It'd prevent the software droughts that have plagued them for the past while, and be inviting toward third parties.
NCZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015   #2
Autovolt

Default Re: Rumour: Nintendo To Begin Mass Production of New Game System in Q2 2016

Kind of a shame they wanna move on so soon but I guess it can't be helped.

Hopefully it ends up being really good.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015   #3
NCZ

Default Re: Rumour: Nintendo To Begin Mass Production of New Game System in Q2 2016

It's kind of a shame but the 3DS came out in early 2011 so a 5+ year cycle is a reasonable time for it to be replaced. And it at least still has soem decent support going on with stuff like SMT4 Final, Dragon Quest, Bravely Second, Fire Emblem, Style Savvy, and Project X Zone 2 either newly released or soon-to-be-released. I'm expecting "Pokemon Z" (or whatever the third version will be this time around) to be Nintendo's swan song for the system in the same way that Crystal, Emerald, and B2/W2 were all among the last releases on their respective handhelds.

The Wii U is pretty much beyond saving, sadly. They threw everything they could at it and while we got some amazing games and I don't regret the purchase at all, moving on is pretty much a necessary evil if they want to maintain mindshare and competitivity against Sony and Microsoft.

I'm optimistic for the NX. Behind the scenes Nintendo's been making a lot of really smart decisions that I think should've been done long ago. Planning to expand their brands beyond video games, getting big-name partnerships going on, and the works. Next year should definitely be interesting.
Old 11-30-2015   #4
BlueHeracross

I really hope that the shared OS / two-in-one system rumors are true.

I love my WiiU, but it really could use a few more games. If it had all of the first party 3DS games (or the other way around) that would be a killer line up of games, even without third parties involved. What ever it ends up being, I'm excited to find out. I think Nintendo has learned from their mistakes so I 'm not expecting any more huge fiascos.
BlueHeracross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015   #5
NCZ

Definitely. The 3DS got some amazing third-party support from so many companies. Having all that on home consoles and handhelds would be a huge get. And companies like Atlus who've found it easier to work for handhelds rather than consoles will be able to dip their feet in no problem. It'd be a welcoming ecosystem for Japanese developers who've been more comfortable on handhelds lately.

I do think that overall these past few years have been a wakeup call for Nintendo as to what the expectations and requirements to survive in the modern-day industry are. They learned it a really hard way, but I agree that I think they're going to vow to not repeat the mistakes they made last time.

In my honest opinion, Super Mario 3D World, The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Super Smash Bros for Wii U, Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, and Splatoon are all god-tier games, and I expect Xenoblade X to join them once I get my hands on it. So all things considered even if it was short-lived I'm happy with my Wii U.

Plus I expect it and its games will be collectors' items sometime down the road... even GameCube stuff has gone up in the past few years. I saw Double Dash, Paper Mario 2, and Melee going for like $100 at a used game store not long ago.
Old 11-30-2015   #6
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

I'm still waiting to see just what the hell this thing is. Like, how far will the idea of a connected handheld and home console go?

You ever just... think about life?
Nightmare Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015   #7
NCZ

I think what it'll be is have a shared media input setup. So basically you buy one game and can automatically play it on both the console and handheld, and be automatically scaled depending on which form factor/hardware setting is being utilized. Likewise digital games will be part of your "account" or shared library and can be accessed on any device that the account is tied to. That seems like the smart and ideal scenario.
Old 12-04-2015   #8
Gaddes

All I hope is that they actually try and compete with MS and Sony this time around. I have zero interest in a Wii U at the moment. Perhaps when the units are being sold for like 80 bucks then, I'll consider it. I mean I wanna be optimistic about NX, but I'm having a hard time. I have a PS4 for most of my gaming needs, so their gonna have to convince me to actually give the NX a go.
Gaddes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015   #9
NCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaddes View Post
Perhaps when the units are being sold for like 80 bucks then, I'll consider it.
Even the PS3 and 360 aren't that low and those are 10-year-old systems. Guess you're not getting a Wii U!

Really though I think it's well-established that they dropped the ball on the Wii U and looking at the competitors it'd be reeeaaally stupid to let that happen again. I think they've learned, hopefully. Looking at the subtler trends I'm optimistic but it's hard to predict Nintendo.

If they took the best of the 3DS and the best of the Wii U and mashed them together we'd have a beastly Nintendo behemoth. But as separate units in the handheld and console planes they have their own problems that need addressing.

Worth noting is they expect shipments of 12 - 20 million which is roughly similar to how much the U and 3DS did combined in their first years. (And more than the Wii U did in its lifetime. :|)

Last edited by NCZ; 12-04-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-04-2015   #10
NCZ

More interesting news on what the new system might be like... lot of complicated patent speak, but skimming through the thread gives an interesting picture of what Ninty could be planning.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1150086