Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Anime

Anime Discuss everything in the world of Anime here.

Old 06-15-2015   #1
Starscreamsfan
Banned

Default Battle of the Planets

Hey guys. For those who know me, I'm not an anime buff. However, there is one dub which I really consider my favorite.

My favorite dub of all time it's the Battle of the Planets dub (followed quite closely by the 60s Astroboy, 60s Kimba, 60s Speed Racer and the 2001 RID dub). Like the 60s dubs, it was done ensemble and it used mostly radio veterans.

The recording director was Alan Dinehart (who directed Orson Welles as the Shadow and was also the director of Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends).

Well you can check out the first episode here (oh, and yes, that's the SuperFriends narrator you hear in the intro):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy2w0VA5vgo

Series Cast:
Alan Dinehart (the director of the dub) as Tiny (regular voice) and Anderson
David Jolliffe as Jason (episode 1)
Casey Kasem as Mark
Keye Luke as Zoltar, the Spirit and Cronos
Ronnie Schell as Jason (regular voice) and Tiny (episode 1)
Janet Waldo as Princess and Susan
Bill Woodson as the Announcer
Alan Young as 7-Zark-7 and Keyop

Additional Voices:
Takayo Fischer
Alan Oppenheimer
Michael Rye
Wendy Young

Here's an article about the recording of the show:

http://www.battleoftheplanets.info/recording.html

I really hope you enjoy this show as I have enjoyed it.

Last edited by TylerMirage; 08-18-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Starscreamsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015   #2
LichaRose

Default Re: Battle of the Planets

The history of this adaptation is indeed pretty interesting! Sandy Frank held on to the Gatchaman license very long, and seemed to try to squeeze out some reboot ideas for BOTP within the last few years they'd had it, though they didn't get anywhere.

I'd heard they'd had Ocean Studios do a dub pilot for what they planned to be a redub/re-adapted version around 2003 or 2004, but that idea never got off ground as it was considered to be too costly, and they didn't to risk spending all that money for something that might not take off.
It's neat how dialogue back then had to be timed by a stopwatch as well, since things like the modern ADR system or the rhythmoband had yet to come into play there. The "Zark Double Zark" recording script is rather curious as well.

I've wanted to give this version a full listen sometime to try to identify the actors Sandy Frank didn't credit in the ending sequence . A few actors are easy to pick out, though Takayo Fischer and Wendy Young (Alan Young's daughter, that the G-Force guide also attests to having done voicework) may be tougher to find.
Having Hanna-Barbera voice actors dub for what was an anime seems rather unique these days.
LichaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015   #3
Starscreamsfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LichaRose View Post
The history of this adaptation is indeed pretty interesting! Sandy Frank held on to the Gatchaman license very long, and seemed to try to squeeze out some reboot ideas for BOTP within the last few years they'd had it, though they didn't get anywhere.

I'd heard they'd had Ocean Studios do a dub pilot for what they planned to be a redub/re-adapted version around 2003 or 2004, but that idea never got off ground as it was considered to be too costly, and they didn't to risk spending all that money for something that might not take off.
It's neat how dialogue back then had to be timed by a stopwatch as well, since things like the modern ADR system or the rhythmoband had yet to come into play there. The "Zark Double Zark" recording script is rather curious as well.

I've wanted to give this version a full listen sometime to try to identify the actors Sandy Frank didn't credit in the ending sequence . A few actors are easy to pick out, though Takayo Fischer and Wendy Young (Alan Young's daughter, that the G-Force guide also attests to having done voicework) may be tougher to find.
Having Hanna-Barbera voice actors dub for what was an anime seems rather unique these days.
Indeed. Frank was a man of ideas, and he always liked to try something new.

Oh, I would have loved an Ocean dub of Battle of the Planets. That would have been AWESOME!!!!

Yeah, that's how it was done in those days. All they had to time everything perfectly was the timecodes in the script. But still, they did a great job in the dubbing process. Oh, the "Zark Double Zark" episode was an original idea, and they even did a recording session for it, but sadly, the recording is lost in the mists of time.

Yeah, the actors are pretty hard to identify in this dub (I think that's Alan Oppenheimer doing a Keye Luke impression as the Spectra Commander).

Yes, and a lot of these guys did radio work (Janet Waldo was Corliss Archer on radio, Alan Young did a lot of radio work and Alan Dinehart was a very prolific recording director on radio), which is something I really admire about this dub.
Old 06-19-2015   #4
LichaRose

Yes, basically there was to be a "New Adventures of G-Force" series that was about 53 episodes or so, that'd source some previously-adapted episodes from BOTP, along with the 20 Gatchaman episodes Sandy Frank hadn't used before. I'm really curious of who the Ocean actors might have been for the one pilot that was said to have been done. There was briefly some talk of using the surviving voice actors, but then it was decided they were too old and that a younger cast would be "fresher".

I believe it's Alan Oppenheimer as the commander in the first episode too, which makes sense if David Jolliffe was the initial Jason voice. Then in the sugar episode, you get to hear William Woodson doing a role outside of his usual "announcer" voice and it's great, haha.

This version of Gatchaman is certainly quite memorable, if infamous, to have gotten some of the shout-outs it did, from Megas XLR to Robot Chicken. I hope the Nelvana cartoon might still be in development, or that it'll be something good. Gatchaman-related projects have a habit of not getting off-ground, or coming out as something underwhelming and divisive like the live-action film, so hopefully it breaks that slump.
LichaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015   #5
Starscreamsfan
Banned

Quote:
Yes, basically there was to be a "New Adventures of G-Force" series that was about 53 episodes or so, that'd source some previously-adapted episodes from BOTP, along with the 20 Gatchaman episodes Sandy Frank hadn't used before. I'm really curious of who the Ocean actors might have been for the one pilot that was said to have been done. There was briefly some talk of using the surviving voice actors, but then it was decided they were too old and that a younger cast would be "fresher".

I believe it's Alan Oppenheimer as the commander in the first episode too, which makes sense if David Jolliffe was the initial Jason voice. Then in the sugar episode, you get to hear William Woodson doing a role outside of his usual "announcer" voice and it's great, haha.

This version of Gatchaman is certainly quite memorable, if infamous, to have gotten some of the shout-outs it did, from Megas XLR to Robot Chicken. I hope the Nelvana cartoon might still be in development, or that it'll be something good. Gatchaman-related projects have a habit of not getting off-ground, or coming out as something underwhelming and divisive like the live-action film, so hopefully it breaks that slump.
Oh, that would have been great. I wish they had kept the surviving actors, but if they wanted something fresh, then I would say go for it. I would have loved to hear someone like Richard Newman as either Tiny or Anderson.

Yeah, he seems to be putting an accent similar to Keye Luke's. Oh, yeah. Woodson was great in that episode.

I would say memorable, because it was considered one of the best cartoons of all time by various sources. The Nelvana reboot is scheduled to be released on 2017. And yes, after BOTP, the projects have had that tendency to be either shelved or disappointing.
Old 05-22-2016   #6
The Luminous One

Hi Starscreamsfan and LichaRose,

I was doing some looking around online following the passing of Alan Young and I found your discussion on this forum.

I’m Jason, co-author of G-Force: Animated and ex-employee of Sandy Frank’s. There are a lot of topics you cover in your talk and even though it’s nearly a year-old thread, I see you’re both active on these boards, so I hope you’ll see all this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscreamsfan View Post
Hey guys. For those who know me, I'm not an anime buff. However, there is one dub which I really consider my favorite.

David Jolliffe as Jason (episode 1)
Michael Rye
I’m about 95% sure it’s David Jolliffe doing Jason in the pilot too. He does “Kolb” in the “Vacation on Venus” episode and it sounds like the same person. But I’ve yet to speak directly with Mr. Jolliffe to hear his recollection. Unfortunately Sandy’s records didn’t indicate which actors portrayed each role.

I haven’t heard evidence from anyone involved in the production of Battle that Michael Rye was part of the cast. I’m not claiming that’s incorrect or doubting you however.

Quote:
We actually completed a pilot episode at Ocean that was shopped around. But the aged look of the animation was a turn off to just about everyone that watched it. Even though Gatchaman and Battle are two of my favorite series of all time and I absolutely love the animation, I also understand it all looks dated to modern viewers and buyers. But Mr. Frank wanted to push ahead with the pilot to see how it would fare. I acted as executive producer on the project; I chose the episode to work on, helped choose the cast and I worked on the script. I liked how it came out for the most part, but was not surprised that it didn’t sell to series. All the work and money we put into it would probably have been better spent exploring options for completely new animation.

Quote:

The idea behind the “new” series was pretty much as you said, except the plan was to sell 26 episodes initially. There would have been some previously done episodes (as seen in Battle and G-Force) and previously untranslated ones from Gatchaman. 7-Zark-7 was cut way down to mostly off-camera voiceovers. I’ll have to see if I can find the cast sheet to let you know who was involved.

I had wanted to include original Battle voice actors as guests, if possible. I had also lobbied *hard* to get them into the ADV Gatchaman dubs in guest roles, but neither happened unfortunately.

It’s funny you mention Megas XLR, since that was intended to be the closest we ever got to a Battle voice cast reunion. I'm not sure if you're aware, but Casey Kasem, Ronnie Schell, Janet Waldo and Alan Young were all recorded for the episodes. But between the time they were recorded and the time the episodes were completed, a new set of show runners came in and determined two of the voices were “too old” sounding (Mr. Kasem and Ms. Waldo). So the whole *reason* they were there was ignored and they got replaced. I know all this directly from Ms. Waldo, who FAXed me her sides before they went in to record, then kept me updated on all the events. She was understandably upset at the replacements.

The Nelvana update is still under production.

If you have any questions about anything, please feel free to ask. I’ll be glad to answer what I can.

Jason
www.battleoftheplanets.info

Last edited by The Luminous One; 05-22-2016 at 11:51 PM.
The Luminous One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016   #7
Starscreamsfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Luminous One View Post
Hi Starscreamsfan and LichaRose,

I was doing some looking around online following the passing of Alan Young and I found your discussion on this forum.

Iím Jason, co-author of G-Force: Animated and ex-employee of Sandy Frankís. There are a lot of topics you cover in your talk and even though itís nearly a year-old thread, I see youíre both active on these boards, so I hope youíll see all this!

Iím about 95% sure itís David Jolliffe doing Jason in the pilot too. He does ďKolbĒ in the ďVacation on VenusĒ episode and it sounds like the same person. But Iíve yet to speak directly with Mr. Jolliffe to hear his recollection. Unfortunately Sandyís records didnít indicate which actors portrayed each role.

I havenít heard evidence from anyone involved in the production of Battle that Michael Rye was part of the cast. Iím not claiming thatís incorrect or doubting you however.

We actually completed a pilot episode at Ocean that was shopped around. But the aged look of the animation was a turn off to just about everyone that watched it. Even though Gatchaman and Battle are two of my favorite series of all time and I absolutely love the animation, I also understand it all looks dated to modern viewers and buyers. But Mr. Frank wanted to push ahead with the pilot to see how it would fare. I acted as executive producer on the project; I chose the episode to work on, helped choose the cast and I worked on the script. I liked how it came out for the most part, but was not surprised that it didnít sell to series. All the work and money we put into it would probably have been better spent exploring options for completely new animation.

The idea behind the ďnewĒ series was pretty much as you said, except the plan was to sell 26 episodes initially. There would have been some previously done episodes (as seen in Battle and G-Force) and previously untranslated ones from Gatchaman. 7-Zark-7 was cut way down to mostly off-camera voiceovers. Iíll have to see if I can find the cast sheet to let you know who was involved.

I had wanted to include original Battle voice actors as guests, if possible. I had also lobbied *hard* to get them into the ADV Gatchaman dubs in guest roles, but neither happened unfortunately.

Itís funny you mention Megas XLR, since that was intended to be the closest we ever got to a Battle voice cast reunion. I'm not sure if you're aware, but Casey Kasem, Ronnie Schell, Janet Waldo and Alan Young were all recorded for the episodes. But between the time they were recorded and the time the episodes were completed, a new set of show runners came in and determined two of the voices were ďtoo oldĒ sounding (Mr. Kasem and Ms. Waldo). So the whole *reason* they were there was ignored and they got replaced. I know all this directly from Ms. Waldo, who FAXed me her sides before they went in to record, then kept me updated on all the events. She was understandably upset at the replacements.

The Nelvana update is still under production.

If you have any questions about anything, please feel free to ask. Iíll be glad to answer what I can.

Jason
Gee, really nice of you to drop by.

Yeah, that does sound like Jolliffe.

The reason why I listed Michael Rye is because some of the characters (Dr. Sweet, President Kane and Dr. Harlan) sound very similar to a character he played on the 1982 Hulk cartoon.

It would have been great to have Ocean dub Gatchaman.

Thanks for all the info.

A friend of mine was wondering if Sloan and Mac's performers in Megas XLR were switched in the credits. That's because Sloan sounded pretty similar to Frank Welker whereas Mac sounded more like Ronnie Schell.

Really sad that they replaced Janet and Kasem in Megas. I really think they should have kept them.
Old 05-24-2016   #8
The Luminous One

Hi,

Quote:
Gee, really nice of you to drop by.

Yeah, that does sound like Jolliffe.

The reason why I listed Michael Rye is because some of the characters (Dr. Sweet, President Kane and Dr. Harlan) sound very similar to a character he played on the 1982 Hulk cartoon.

It would have been great to have Ocean dub Gatchaman.

Thanks for all the info.

A friend of mine was wondering if Sloan and Mac's performers in Megas XLR were switched in the credits. That's because Sloan sounded pretty similar to Frank Welker whereas Mac sounded more like Ronnie Schell.

Really sad that they replaced Janet and Kasem in Megas. I really think they should have kept them.
Thanks for letting me know your reasoning about Michael Rye. He's certainly a possibility as he was the right age and worked with the same people. I'm doing a lot of research into Battle right now so this will give me something else to investigate. I'm sure additional actors worked on the series but the trick is identifying them. All the main cast I interviewed remembered additional people. I really should add additional "Support Cast" pages for people like Alan Dinehart, Jr. and Wendy Young.

Ocean was great to work with and I think they would have done a super job with more episodes. I think we auditioned about six or seven actors for each main character (with some overlapping options). Again, I'll have a look through my files and see if I can find the cast list.

I agree about Megas XLR (or LowBrow as it was called when the Battle cast were recorded). The whole idea of the episodes was to get the actors back together. I don't know why the newer show runners didn't see that.

Hope to talk with you soon and let me know if you have any other questions.

Jason
Old 05-25-2016   #9
Starscreamsfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Luminous One View Post
Hi,

Thanks for letting me know your reasoning about Michael Rye. He's certainly a possibility as he was the right age and worked with the same people. I'm doing a lot of research into Battle right now so this will give me something else to investigate. I'm sure additional actors worked on the series but the trick is identifying them. All the main cast I interviewed remembered additional people. I really should add additional "Support Cast" pages for people like Alan Dinehart, Jr. and Wendy Young.

Ocean was great to work with and I think they would have done a super job with more episodes. I think we auditioned about six or seven actors for each main character (with some overlapping options). Again, I'll have a look through my files and see if I can find the cast list.

I agree about Megas XLR (or LowBrow as it was called when the Battle cast were recorded). The whole idea of the episodes was to get the actors back together. I don't know why the newer show runners didn't see that.

Hope to talk with you soon and let me know if you have any other questions.

Jason
You're quite welcome. And yes, Mike did work with Alan Dinehart a lot. He played some additional characters in The Flintstones and he played Magneto in Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends.

Oh, yes, one question that always bugged me, was Alan Dinehart, Jr. the son of the recording director or his stepbrother??? 'Cause most sites list him as his stepbrother.

Yeah, it's really tricky to identify all the actors.

Awesome, I'll be waiting for that list.

Yeah, I really hope to talk more about it.
Old 05-25-2016   #10
The Luminous One

Hi,

Quote:
You're quite welcome. And yes, Mike did work with Alan Dinehart a lot. He played some additional characters in The Flintstones and he played Magneto in Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends.

Oh, yes, one question that always bugged me, was Alan Dinehart, Jr. the son of the recording director or his stepbrother??? 'Cause most sites list him as his stepbrother.

Yeah, it's really tricky to identify all the actors.

Awesome, I'll be waiting for that list.
I'm hoping to talk with a few more Battle personnel again in the next couple weeks and I'll be sure to bring up Mr. Rye's name.

The Alan Dinehart, Jr. listed in Battle's credits is the voice director's son. I know their family tree can get a little convoluted, but I was able to get it cleared up straight from Mr. Dinehart, Jr. - who has now dropped the "Jr." from his name. As far as I know, Mason Alan Dinehart (the voice director's younger stepbrother) didn't do anything on the show.

I haven't found the Ocean cast list yet, but if it comes to it I can always just copy the information down from the on-screen credits. I should be able to look through the rest of my files before the weekend.

Jason