Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2021   #311
IMB
Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 817
Default Re: Are Vancouver dubs going to go extinct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMB View Post
It seems that was the case, as Toei teased season 2's dub (this is new material), with news coming sometime soon. That certainly sounds like Cathy Weseluck as Yuma. Osamu is probably Brian Doe (he shared the event's announcement on Twitter), but he and Cole Howard sound nearly identical.
By "soon," Toei meant 8 months later. They had a panel at NYCC tonight and despite an attendee telling me there was no dub news, there was dub news. Season 2 is coming by the end of the year. They announced a new cast member, too: Ian Sinclair ...

Because this is something Toei is directly paying for, I would like to assume Ocean is still involved and this isn't a Yashahime or Gintama thing. Part of me feels like I'm going to eat those words, but ... I guess this sets the stage for what we should expect from Dragon Quest, whenever that comes out. Just more people you can already find in anime dubs ...

IMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021   #312
drakh
Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 885
Default Re: Are Vancouver dubs going to go extinct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMB View Post
Because this is something Toei is directly paying for, I would like to assume Ocean is still involved and this isn't a Yashahime or Gintama thing. Part of me feels like I'm going to eat those words, but ... I guess this sets the stage for what we should expect from Dragon Quest, whenever that comes out. Just more people you can already find in anime dubs ...
For what it's worth, it looks like Sinclair specifically was announced because he was attending the con as a guest of Toei, and was present at that panel as well as their One Piece and Dragonball ones. And yeah, I would guess it's still Ocean, since they have a decades long relationship with Toei that seems still intact given the Dragon Quest thing. If they were producing it in Texas, it would presumably be Funimation taking over and making the announcements.

And, well, it is what it is. Straight Vancouver dubs are clearly still an option for clients who want to pay for that. Hopefully this will make Ocean more competitive for those who don't. I think they're a good company, with good voice directors and script adapters, so even if they're using some of the same voice actors as "everyone else" the results should be interesting. I expect Vancouver actors will still be competitive for the lead roles, since they're used to working quickly and efficiently and committing to a certain number of episodes up front gives gives a discounted union payrate. Guest/supporting characters are probably far more tempting to go non-union since they probably end up paying a lot of actors minimum payments for time they're not using.
drakh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021   #313
IMB
Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 817
Default Re: Are Vancouver dubs going to go extinct?

The Metalions YouTube channel rebranded to something called Super 10 recently. It seems like there are some ties to that show (company-wise, it's another China-South Korea co-pro, courtesy of Tobot's Young Toys) but is largely self-contained. They posted a trailer and I think that's Griffin Kingston as the lead. That's definitely their music library. Unfortunately, it's probably going to be a while before that can get added to the site. WildBrain Spark runs that channel and they always chop the credits off, which is why the second season of Metalions isn't on the site yet either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakh View Post
And, well, it is what it is. Straight Vancouver dubs are clearly still an option for clients who want to pay for that. Hopefully this will make Ocean more competitive for those who don't. I think they're a good company, with good voice directors and script adapters, so even if they're using some of the same voice actors as "everyone else" the results should be interesting. I expect Vancouver actors will still be competitive for the lead roles, since they're used to working quickly and efficiently and committing to a certain number of episodes up front gives gives a discounted union payrate. Guest/supporting characters are probably far more tempting to go non-union since they probably end up paying a lot of actors minimum payments for time they're not using.
My general complaint isn't about the specific actors they're using. It's just that with a limited amount of Canadian dubs, it's not really cool to see their talent pool pushed aside for people who've already got a bunch of anime credits to their name this year. Admittedly, right now I'm making a mountain out of a molehill since we know of a grand total of two roles across two separate shows (with another inbound), but still. Once a precedent is set. Maybe I'd be less unimpressed if this was a two-way street. Even in this age of remote recording, you haven't seen any of the established Canadian VAs show up in American dubs outside of reprisals for things licensors were too cheap to hire Ocean to produce.*

It's early days, but at the moment we've only seen this with companies who were already working with Ocean and Blue Water. Bushiroad's been doing Vanguard with them for a literal decade now (though, D4DJ definitely gave me pause). Toei's been working with them on and off again for 15 years, if not longer.

*Yes, I'm aware of Ellen Ray Hennessy showing up in a few Sound Cadence dubs, but that's a weird exception.

Last edited by IMB; 10-20-2021 at 07:39 PM. Reason: New trailer link
IMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021   #314
drakh
Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 885
Default Re: Are Vancouver dubs going to go extinct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMB View Post
My general complaint isn't about the specific actors they're using. It's just that with a limited amount of Canadian dubs, it's not really cool to see their talent pool pushed aside for people who've already got a bunch of anime credits to their name this year. Admittedly, right now I'm making a mountain out of a molehill since we know of a grand total of two roles across two separate shows (with another inbound), but still. Once a precedent is set.
Well, just like when they established Blue Water, or when they tried to get into DVD authoring, I doubt they're doing it just for funsies. There must be a business calculation that making the investment of having their casting people become familiar with two new talent pools, and their technical staff used to working with random remote setups, will be worth it long term.



Quote:
Originally Posted by IMB View Post
Maybe I'd be less unimpressed if this was a two-way street. Even in this age of remote recording, you haven't seen any of the established Canadian VAs show up in American dubs outside of reprisals for things licensors were too cheap to hire Ocean to produce.*
Seems pretty unlikely, given the costs and paperwork needed to hire ACTRA actors. They might need to make substantial modifications to their workflow to deal with the peculiarities of the contracts and payment structure, or spend extra to hire a Canadian recording studio to do it for them. I doubt anyone would feel it's worth it unless you have a situation where the job is dependent on using specific actors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMB View Post
It's early days, but at the moment we've only seen this with companies who were already working with Ocean and Blue Water. Bushiroad's been doing Vanguard with them for a literal decade now (though, D4DJ definitely gave me pause). Toei's been working with them on and off again for 15 years, if not longer.
Well, yeah, Ovderdress is presumably just a test. We don't know exactly how the SAG thing affected Dragon Quest, but issues like that are things you'd want to deal with before you start marketing it to now clients. But I would imagine the goal here is to use it enough to make themselves more competitive with the LA studios again.

FUNi has been outsourcing a fair bit lately, and working with Texas talent might but them back on their radar again. And now Disney+ is getting into the anime game, and Toei is apparently backing another streaming service with international aspirations. There are more opportunities out there now, the hope would be that it ultimately results in more roles for Vancouver and Calgary/Edmonton, not less.
drakh is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.