Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > General Topics > General Chat

General Chat Introduce yourself or just talk about something not related to our site topics here.

Old 11-24-2014   #1
DreamMaster08X

Lightbulb Your Username Origin

For the past year that I've been on this site, there's been a recurring thing I found whenever I scroll through comments and forums here: I've always taken an interest in where some of these the names of the site's users came from. I know sometimes it's easy to tell how a person got their username by sort-of dead giveaways (ie, name, franchise, title), but it's not always the case (like mine, for instance).

So I figured that, for the fun of it, I'd make this thread for anyone who's willing to share how they got their name in the first place. You can choose to keep your name an enigma and not reply, so no pressure that you must tell us. But I thought it'd might be an interesting gesture on your part if you do.

I'll start off with my username:

The main portion of my name (DreamMaster) is actually inspired by two different things. The first (and main) one is sort of a nickname that I based on the character of Darkrai from the Pokemon series. For a time (and a pretty long one at that), I was a BIG Pokemon junkie. I'd go into great detail with it, but that'd probably take up half a dozen paragraphs, so I'll pass on it. What I do want to explain, however, is that my absolute favorite Pokemon (which I even eventually captured) was, and still is, Darkrai. On a personal note, I loved the way he was design, his movements, and basically how he practically oozed atmosphere whenever he was simply present. Specifically, though, the key element was his ability to control dreams that eventually got me to come up with the name. I've always been fascinated by the impact of dreams, however mundane or bombastically surreal they become.

The "08X" portion: this would be attributed to the year 2008, or as I more coincide it with, the year I was first introduced to Finnish symphonic metal band Nightwish, who still remains my all-time favorite band to this day. The 'X' is a daily reminder to myself. Although there were many things that defined me in my childhood, I'd say that Nightwish was probably the biggest influence on really who I am today. Many things I love and adore all somehow branch back to the day I discovered them.

Now.... it's your turn.

"Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo: so little time, so much to know!"
~Jeremy Hillary Boob, Ph.D. - Yellow Submarine [1968]

Album of the Week: "Deep Purple In Rock" by Deep Purple
DreamMaster08X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014   #2
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

Default Re: Your Username Origin

I wanted to sign up for a Naruto forum. I was also really into Homestar Runner at the time.* I noticed that Rock Lee looked vaguely like Coach Z. He's also a ninja.

I went with the initials because I don't want to connect my work here to what I've done using that username. The late 2000s were an interesting time to be an internet user.

*I reference Homestar Runner all the time without even realizing it. Some of my favourite catchphrases I like to whip out every now and then are unintentional Homestar quotes. I love that site.

Last edited by NCZ; 11-24-2014 at 09:42 PM.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014   #3
Polyester Funk

A few years ago my sister and I were obsessed with the word "funk" for some reason. It may have been because of seeing the name of wrestler Dory Funk when he went into the WWE Hall of Fame. Well, anyways we both went through a phase were we would put the word after other stuff we said like "apple funk" or "snow funk", and one day she read a tag off of a towel that read "100% polyester" which made her say the words "polyester funk". We both thought it was really funny and weird and its something that I wanted to somehow use for something, so when I registered here that's what I went with.
Polyester Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014   #4
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

I was playing Soul Calibur while trying to think of a name, hence the Nightmare. I can't even remember why I tacked Crusher onto it.
Old 11-25-2014   #5
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare Crusher View Post
I was playing Soul Calibur while trying to think of a name, hence the Nightmare. I can't even remember why I tacked Crusher onto it.
This whole time I thought it was a combination of M. Bison's Nightmare Booster and Psycho Crusher.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014   #6
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ View Post
This whole time I thought it was a combination of M. Bison's Nightmare Booster and Psycho Crusher.
I can see why you would have thought that.
Old 11-25-2014   #7
PsychicVoiceSpy

Mine's a pretty simple story. In the Red Hot Chili Peppers song 'Californication', the first lyrics are, "Psychic spies from China try to steal your mind's elation.", and since I always liked that bit and RHCP are one of my favorite bands, I just went with it. My mindset is that this username would say that I'm a psychic spy whose field of expertise is voice-acting. I thought it was kinda cool-sounding at the time, but now that I think about it, it's kind of lame. Oh well. I had been super interested in the site for a while before I joined and I was so excited to be a member that I just had to pick something quick.

Overall, my name isn't that cool, but I have no regrets.
PsychicVoiceSpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014   #8
Autovolt

Autovolt is the Japanese name of Cybertron Crosswise one of my all time favorite Transformer characters.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014   #9
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Way back in the early 2000s, I had to choose a username for something. I can't even remember what it was, but back then my favourite Transformers character was RID Mirage, so I chose "TylerMirage". Then when Energon came out and Tidal Wave was reformatted into Mirage, it only strengthened my opinion of that username because I loved Mirage in that show, too.

And because I'm lazy, it's pretty much my username whenever I have to have a username. TFW2005, ILMfan, BTVA, FXRant, etc..
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014   #10
OptimusSolo
Banned

I needed a screen name for Geekcastradio.com I believe back in the day - and decided to combine two of my favorite fictional characters.

Optimus Prime and Han Solo. Technically I should have combined Han Solo and MacGyver given my avatar but at the time I thought OptimusSolo sounded the best
OptimusSolo is offline   Reply With Quote