Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Game Discussion

Game Discussion Chat about video games from old school classics to the latest and upcoming releases.

Old 04-06-2015   #81
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

Default Re: Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS

I was bummed out by the lack of Mario VS Donkey Kong stuff in the 3DS version. It seemed like a natural fit. Nope, here's Jungle Japes for the third time. Hmmmm.

I feel like my main concern with the future state of Smash Bros. is that there's a worry that the series has peaked. 50+ characters is critical mass for any fighting game. Sakurai's getting old and himself acknowledged that it's only going to get harder and harder for him to A) devote himself so single-mindedly to a single game from here on out, and B) bring back as many veterans as possible while introducing newcomers constantly. He has stated that there won't be a huge number of DLC characters. I think a fairly reasonable count is the 3 missing veterans (Mewtwo, Lucas, and Wolf) and then one or two newcomers, maybe, maybe a third if we're lucky. Even that seems like a stretch though.

After this point I worry that the only way the series can continue is if it reinvents itself. One possibility would be a total roster reboot alongside possible genre change under a new director (for instance, making it a 3D fighter like Power Stone or Dissidia Final Fantasy). It is a risk, though. It's quite frankly impressive that, if we assume Wolf is on his way, we've lost only four unique characters between Brawl and now (and three of those were cut solely due to technical difficulties).

The best way to look at where the series can go is examining what holes have been newly filled by SSB4, and what holes are still open.

Newcomers:
- Villager, Mii, and to a somewhat lesser extent Bowser Jr. (+ the Koopalings) were among the most glaring omissions from Brawl's roster, as they were highly prominent and new characters at the time. All three of them are now in the series.
- Palutena and Little Mac are retro characters included primarily on the basis of successful franchise reboots in modern times (Kid Icarus: Uprising and the Punch-Out Wii game).
- Rosalina, Dark Pit, Lucina, Robin, Alph, and Greninja are popular new characters from established franchises that were introduced between 2007 and 2014.
- Shulk and Wii Fit Trainer represent new franchises introduced between 2007 and 2014.
- Mega Man and Pac-Man are highly popular and iconic third-party characters that continue the tradition set by Brawl.
- Duck Hunt is both an iconic NES game and continues the tradition of having retro characters from out of left field

What holes does SSB4 leave open?
- There are still some established series that have no representation. Among them: Rhythm Heaven, Advance Wars, Golden Sun, The Mysterious Murasame Castle, Sin and Punishment, and various eShop games like Pushmo and Dillon's Rolling Western.
- New franchises introduced after its release. Splatoon and Codename STEAM are the first two that come to mind.
- New characters from established games. There will probably always be a new Pokemon from the latest generation, and Fire Emblem's in a similar situation due to its constant character turnover. Anything apart from that is unpredictable at this point. Remember how certain everyone was that Zoroark and Chrom would be in before X and Y were announced and we got Robin + Lucina instead?
- There are still some retro, "out-of-left-field" choices that haven't been used yet. Takamaru from The Mysterious Murasame Castle or Ayumi Tachibana from Famicom Detective Club are some popular choices.
- Prominent characters from established franchises who have never been playable. Dixie Kong and King K. Rool are probably the poster children of this category. I guess there's Ridley, but I find it hard to wrap my head around why so many people insist he should be in when we've had four straight games of "We know you want him, but he just doesn't work as a fighter." I actually think the Zelda series is near-perfectly represented as is. Minor and one-shot villains like Vaati or Agahnim or Ghirahim seem like lost causes. The only new characters I can see happening are recurring ones like Impa or Tingle (who could be a really good joke fighter).
- Third-party characters. Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man are about as iconic as you can get. The most commonly-thrown-around names are Simon Belmont (Konami) or a Square Enix character (the best choice is hotly debated but it would almost certainly be someone from Dragon Quest or an early Final Fantasy game). Note that Sakurai has stated that the number of third-party characters will be limited -- "2-3" was the number thrown around during the pre-Brawl days, and that's how many we have now. Sorry, Snake.

Last edited by NCZ; 04-06-2015 at 09:06 AM.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015   #82
SupremeTarantulas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ View Post
I was bummed out by the lack of Mario VS Donkey Kong stuff in the 3DS version. It seemed like a natural fit. Nope, here's Jungle Japes for the third time. Hmmmm.

I feel like my main concern with the future state of Smash Bros. is that there's a worry that the series has peaked. 50+ characters is critical mass for any fighting game. Sakurai's getting old and himself acknowledged that it's only going to get harder and harder for him to A) devote himself so single-mindedly to a single game from here on out, and B) bring back as many veterans as possible while introducing newcomers constantly. He has stated that there won't be a huge number of DLC characters. I think a fairly reasonable count is the 3 missing veterans (Mewtwo, Lucas, and Wolf) and then one or two newcomers, maybe, maybe a third if we're lucky. Even that seems like a stretch though.

After this point I worry that the only way the series can continue is if it reinvents itself. One possibility would be a total roster reboot alongside possible genre change under a new director (for instance, making it a 3D fighter like Power Stone or Dissidia Final Fantasy). It is a risk, though. It's quite frankly impressive that, if we assume Wolf is on his way, we've lost only four unique characters between Brawl and now (and three of those were cut solely due to technical difficulties).

The best way to look at where the series can go is examining what holes have been newly filled by SSB4, and what holes are still open.

Newcomers:
- Villager, Mii, and to a somewhat lesser extent Bowser Jr. (+ the Koopalings) were among the most glaring omissions from Brawl's roster, as they were highly prominent and new characters at the time. All three of them are now in the series.
- Palutena and Little Mac are retro characters included primarily on the basis of successful franchise reboots in modern times (Kid Icarus: Uprising and the Punch-Out Wii game).
- Rosalina, Dark Pit, Lucina, Robin, Alph, and Greninja are popular new characters from established franchises that were introduced between 2007 and 2014.
- Shulk and Wii Fit Trainer represent new franchises introduced between 2007 and 2014.
- Mega Man and Pac-Man are highly popular and iconic third-party characters that continue the tradition set by Brawl.
- Duck Hunt is both an iconic NES game and continues the tradition of having retro characters from out of left field

What holes does SSB4 leave open?
- There are still some established series that have no representation. Among them: Rhythm Heaven, Advance Wars, Golden Sun, The Mysterious Murasame Castle, Sin and Punishment, and various eShop games like Pushmo and Dillon's Rolling Western.
- New franchises introduced after its release. Splatoon and Codename STEAM are the first two that come to mind.
- New characters from established games. There will probably always be a new Pokemon from the latest generation, and Fire Emblem's in a similar situation due to its constant character turnover. Anything apart from that is unpredictable at this point. Remember how certain everyone was that Zoroark and Chrom would be in before X and Y were announced and we got Robin + Lucina instead?
- There are still some retro, "out-of-left-field" choices that haven't been used yet. Takamaru from The Mysterious Murasame Castle or Ayumi Tachibana from Famicom Detective Club are some popular choices.
- Prominent characters from established franchises who have never been playable. Dixie Kong and King K. Rool are probably the poster children of this category. I guess there's Ridley, but I find it hard to wrap my head around why so many people insist he should be in when we've had four straight games of "We know you want him, but he just doesn't work as a fighter." I actually think the Zelda series is near-perfectly represented as is. Minor and one-shot villains like Vaati or Agahnim or Ghirahim seem like lost causes. The only new characters I can see happening are recurring ones like Impa or Tingle (who could be a really good joke fighter).
- Third-party characters. Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man are about as iconic as you can get. The most commonly-thrown-around names are Simon Belmont (Konami) or a Square Enix character (the best choice is hotly debated but it would almost certainly be someone from Dragon Quest or an early Final Fantasy game). Note that Sakurai has stated that the number of third-party characters will be limited -- "2-3" was the number thrown around during the pre-Brawl days, and that's how many we have now. Sorry, Snake.
I'd like Pokemon Master, to play as any Pokemon, or even Giovanni for the same reason. Also Blue so him and Red can have a Pokemon Battle, closest there is to an anme based fight, though you can that with Pikachu, etc but still..
SupremeTarantulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015   #83
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

In Melee I loved going on the Pokemon Stadium stage, setting the items to Poke Balls only, and then just throwing them at each other in order to simulate a Pokemon battle. Good times.

The original Pokemon Trainer's been axed, since his Pokemon-switching gimmick was apparently too much for the 3DS to handle. The devs apparently decided that it wasn't worth the effort to bring back Squirtle and Ivysaur as individual fighters, so that's why Charizard was made into a solo character this time around. Honestly, even though it was an accident, I'm actually quite pleased with the lack of transforming characters and think that it improved the game as a whole. Characters like Sheik and Zero Suit Samus feel much more complete and satisfying to play as now that they're not tied to Zelda and Suited Samus, and Greninja and Mewtwo more than make up for the loss of Squirtle and Ivysaur.

The next system will obviously have greater processing power so I wouldn't be surprised if the developers choose to revisit the Pokemon Trainer idea. I don't see Charizard going back to his original, non-individual state, so the original Pokemon Trainer is probably gone for good in his original form. My guess is if they were to revisit PT, they'd probably just start fresh with a new team of pokemon. As time goes on, there are only going to be more and more Pokemon, and lumping them all under one roof would be a convenient way of incorporating them. We're at generation 6 right now, and if generation 8 is the newest at the time of Smash 5, I think it'd be cool if we got an individual pokemon from generation 8, and then a trainer who uses pokemon from generations 3, 5, and 7. We have more than enough from Kanto as is so I would prefer if the new Trainer allows the generations that haven't been represented to get their chance in the limelight. Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald were still recent games at the time of Brawl so I always thought it was a missed opportunity that the original PT didn't have any Hoenn Pokemon in his team.

Last edited by NCZ; 04-09-2015 at 02:17 PM.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021   #84
Olofsson

Wink Re: Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS

I found other announcers voice the announcer in the PAL release of this game, all of whom were retained from Brawl: Achim Barrenstein (German), Carlos Lobo (Spanish), Jean-Louis Faure (French), and Luigi Fantino (Italian).
Olofsson is offline   Reply With Quote